Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's no question that the average age of participants on this forum is aging, and me among them. But I wonder if over time we will become a forum of "former riders" rather than riders. My former chapter of the GWRRA (Gold Wing Road Riders Association) went through that, with more and more member staying in the chapter strictly for social reasons. I went on group rides but rarely went to the meetings, but when I did go it was clear that many there were down to just memories when it came to riding a motorcycle. This situation must have been universal as the entire organization ended last June when the GWRRA went defunct.

I then thought of my own small group of friends that would occasionally ride together. The youngster in the group stopped riding due to spousal pressure. One passed on. One had to stop riding due to illnesses and one mostly stopped riding due to both a chronic illness and demands of word. That left just me still riding regularly, and I consider myself very fortunate that as I am nearing my 80th birthday, and have my share of physical limitations and issues, that I can still ride and love to do so.

I guess that even if I could no longer ride at all I might still come to this forum as a means of staying connected to the riding community, but it would not be the same anymore. Heck, its not been the same as it was even just a few years ago, and if I am right about more and more contributors no longer riding, it will continue to wither away. But for now, I'm glad this forum exists.

And Happy New Year to all!

· Registered
213 Posts
I'm 81, and in the same boat as you as my riding partners are dying or quitting. One quit after a fairly serious accident where he ran off the road for unexplained reasons as he doesn't remember anything about it. Maybe a stroke, as he had already had a minor one.

I've been riding for 60 years. I know I have to quit sometime, and I don't want it to be because I got all ****ed up in a crash. I hope I know when it's time before that happens. Until then, I can still enjoy multi-day rides searching for curvy roads.

· Registered
884 Posts
Everything changes , always .

I've been riding since 1964 . I had a riding buddy back in '72 - '73 . Other than him , I ride/rode alone .
I never joined a club of any sort . This and other forums are the closest I've come .
There are millions of sites . Finding one you can live with is the challenge .
Just know that it isn't forever . ;)

· Banned
Honda VFR1200X (sold), only mod was "The BoosterPlug".
647 Posts
There's no question that the average age of participants on this forum is aging, and me among them. But I wonder if over time we will become a forum of "former riders" rather than riders. My former chapter of the GWRRA (Gold Wing Road Riders Association) went through that, with more and more member staying in the chapter strictly for social reasons. I went on group rides but rarely went to the meetings, but when I did go it was clear that many there were down to just memories when it came to riding a motorcycle. This situation must have been universal as the entire organization ended last June when the GWRRA went defunct.

I then thought of my own small group of friends that would occasionally ride together. The youngster in the group stopped riding due to spousal pressure. One passed on. One had to stop riding due to illnesses and one mostly stopped riding due to both a chronic illness and demands of word. That left just me still riding regularly, and I consider myself very fortunate that as I am nearing my 80th birthday, and have my share of physical limitations and issues, that I can still ride and love to do so.

I guess that even if I could no longer ride at all I might still come to this forum as a means of staying connected to the riding community, but it would not be the same anymore. Heck, its not been the same as it was even just a few years ago, and if I am right about more and more contributors no longer riding, it will continue to wither away. But for now, I'm glad this forum exists.

Good thread...

Right now I'm saving up for a Harley, Indian, Can-Am or possibly a LiveWire? My reason being, just want to buy American now.

· Vintage Rider
453 Posts
Still riding at 72, but the bikes I choose to ride get smaller as I get older. Easy for me to understand that at 80 who wants to move around a Gold Wing when many of the vintage Enduros around 175 cc are very capable of leisure riding on back roads further away from danger and provide plenty of enjoyment. Instead of quitting, change your riding habits and choice of bike to an easier relaxed pace. It can bring back plenty of nostalgia while still putting a smile on your face.

· Premium Member
8,513 Posts
Still riding at 76. But the bikes are getting heavy.
I have a sidecar for the XS1100, and a 375 pound XS400, plus a 412 pound SV1000 Suzuki. These are all options if I find the 575 pound Yamaha XS, or the 500 pound Triumph too heavy. But that could be a few years away.
This winter I have been a bit soft, and brought the truck to the mainland. But then we did get over a foot of snow, so I would never have gone or gotten anywhere on a bike.
Next week I should be back on Yami again, and back to the mainland on the 12th of January. Taking a chance with the weather. UK

· Registered
2020 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
589 Posts
Yup.... I'm 75 and downsized from a Concours 14 to a Versys 1000 3 years ago. It's 35 horsepower less, but that's not the issue as it still has more than enough power. What matters is that it's about 150 lb lighter. In similar fashion, a good friend went from an FJR 1300 to a BMW GS 850 last year.

I plan to keep riding as long as I can.

· Registered
74 Posts

"stopped riding due to spousal pressure" ? That guy needs to grow a pair!:rolleyes:

· Registered
196 Posts
I just joined my local chapter of the Christian Motorcyclists' Association.

I've been to 4 meeting so far, and it looks like in all that time they've never taken a group ride or had anybody show up on two or three wheels for any other event. Nor am I aware that any two or more of these club members have gotten together privately to ride just for fun.

I hope that changes I am told that the type of people who are primarily interested in doing group rides are younger people on sport bikes, and they wanna go fast.

But I know in The past few years, I've seen large numbers of cruiser type motorcycles going down the road for things that I have later learned after the fact was some kind of charity fundraiser, poker ride, etc.

P.S. I'm 54, and ride a Honda shadow VT 1100, but I am new to street riding, having come from a background of dirt bikes from many years ago.

I have been riding at least one day every couple weeks since July of this year, ( when I got my bike)
but I've had some mechanical issues,

and our area has had a whole lot of rain recently just before the cold snap.

Even now, after I think I've got the overheating problem licked I see that my tail lights occasionally go out and then they'll come back on later for no reason the same thing with my auxiliary headlights which are I understand aftermarket add-ons.

I am only riding during the daytime right now, so I don't really need the auxiliary front lights,
but to keep things legal I want to have my tail lights & my illuminated license plate light.

· Registered
1,103 Posts
Well, so far you don't have any members that have quite riding and are still here participating!! I'm 77 and still hanging on like the rest of you older lads. My current Ninja 1000SX is about 515# wet and I can still push it around and not looking for anything smaller or lighter, but we never know what tomorrow will bring until we get to tomorrow. Hopefully it will not be a replacement rather an addition!!

I just joined my local chapter of the Christian Motorcyclists' Association.

I've been to 4 meeting so far, and it looks like in all that time they've never taken a group ride or had anybody show up on two or three wheels for any other event. Nor am I aware that any two or more of these club members have gotten together privately to ride just for fun.

I hope that changes I am told that the type of people who are primarily interested in doing group rides are younger people on sport bikes, and they wanna go fast.
I have seen this with the CMA and other types like certain chapters of the American Legion Riders. Many are wearing their vest for social identity of yesteryear. That's fine with me, they used to ride and many are still riders at heart. Unfortunately, like others, I have found it difficult to find others that are enjoyable to ride with, good thing I like solo and 2-up riding!

· On The Road Again!
4,156 Posts
Good thread...
Right now I'm saving up for a Harley, Indian, Can-Am or possibly a LiveWire? My reason being, just want to buy American now.
I'm 72 and I too like riding an American made bike.
That's my American bike pictured below, a '99 Goldwing made 100% in Marysville Ohio.
(Ohio is still part of the US, isn't it?)

Oh yeah...Still have a 1975 Kawasaki KZ400 sitting in my shed that was made in Nebraska.

· Registered
2022 Suzuki Dr650(sold)
177 Posts
You guys are an inspiration. Im 49, been riding motos off an on my whole life. I fell on hard times and had to sell my bike. l might ride again if my living situation improves, and I can find a bike/ helmet that doesnt cause horrific wind buffeting.

· Registered
2020 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
589 Posts
Rode to the Arctic Ocean when I was 65 years old. Was 68 when I completed my 31st Iron Butt ride in 2022, you know you're old when the IBA adds your age to the ride stats. ;)
Pardon my French, but that is BADASS !!!

I've pretty well covered the lower 48, but Prudhoe Bay ???? Should have done it when I was a LOT younger, 'cause it ain't happenin' now.

· Registered
1,489 Posts
Pardon my French, but that is BADASS !!!

I've pretty well covered the lower 48, but Prudhoe Bay ???? Should have done it when I was a LOT younger, 'cause it ain't happenin' now.
I have been to Prudhoe Bay (Deadhorse, AK) in 2012 but to ride to the Arctic Ocean you need to ride to Tuktoyaktuk, NWT. When you get to the end of the road in Alaska you will still be about nine miles from the Arctic Ocean, in Tuk you can ride up to the ocean.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts