Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find a thread in this forum about this and am curious. Reading through the threads I read about all the "incidents" people have and for a new rider it makes it kinda nervewracking to start out. I am wondering how many people, through skill, luck or actually listening to the MSF instructors, have managed to never wreck. Also, if you can, add how many years you've been riding.

-I am not counting near-misses, almosts or forgetting to put the kickstand down.

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
Ignoring my off road riding, I have not had even a tip over in over 6 years of street riding. On the road I am a very defensive rider, and I really did listen to, and remember a lot of the things I heard in my MSF course. And if I can say so myself, I am a skilled rider. I know how to ride, which can not be said for a lot of motorcyclists I see on the road.

·
American Legion Rider
22,069 Posts
Watch it there Dragon. I used to be able to say that. After 220,000 plus miles I finally bit the big one. Rode into an extremely heavy downpour. The last thing I remember is starting to slow down because of it. Next thing I remember is waking up in extreme pain. Best I can figure out is the road made a sharp turn to the right and I must have missed it cause I woke up under the bike in a ditch. Spent the next 6 weeks in the hospital and rehab and I'm still in a wheel chair. So don't think it can't happen. It does and fast. I still think I'll get back on but beginning to have my doubts about that financially.

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
I've never crashed on the street yet. I crash everytime I ride my dirtbike and I have crashed doing a trackday.

·
Super Moderator
6,295 Posts
I pray before each ride that it will be a safe and enjoyable one.....wow going on 5 years for me....man does that go by fast!!!!:wink:

Reactions: Stainlesstehle

·
Registered
152 Posts
It all-ways amazes me when I hear, I've never! All I can say is, well you've never really driven one! I've owned 18 bikes, and I will admit. I've dumped them just about every way you can! However I'm a better rider today, do to the educations I've gotton! :71baldboy:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I guess my saving grace is that my stupidity (so far) has been in inverse relation to the speed I'm traveling. I seem to have super concentration in traffic or at speed. My brainfarts have occurred a very low speeds and the resulting mishaps were entirely my own fault.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Street bikes wrecks, falls, etc: Zero

Dirt bikes wrecks, falls, etc: A few. hard jolting landings, cart-wheels... (wear your helmet)

·
Registered
45 Posts
18 months, 8000 miles, no accidents.

Preceeding that, 17 years in high power to weight ratio sportscars without major incident. That made me think I could hop on two wheels and possibly not kill myself. ;)

But you ask a question that isn't asked enough. Especially in common cager company. It's always "How many people have died?" and the stats are stacked to make it sound impressively dangerous...but it's never asked "How many do, without major incident?" (Where major would be considered a debilitiating lifetime injury.) I suspect the numbers are higher than you'd suspect.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
fallen yea at idle speed or backing up and drop off into a hole i didn't see.

On the road I had 35 years before an auto contact. I started at 12. I was making at a slow right hand turn on a four lane, a truck quickly changed lanes into me. I swerved right and added a little gas and there was loose gravel n dirt and i went down at about 10MPH.

Once setting at a red light i was rear ended on my Sportster. Bent the handlbars as i hung on, as i saw him at the last nano and he caved the rear fender in. I was fine but the auto took off. Other than that 54 yrs in riding so far and pretty lucky as I was rather crazy when i was young..

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
"In X amount of years and Y amount of miles I have never crashed, wrecked, or fallen".

Yeah. And you've never fallen off a bicycle, skateboard, skates, skis, or tripped while walking either.

On dirt, street, and track I have crashed on my own and been taken down by others. No broken bones but some flesh wounds. All that matters is getting back up and getting back on.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
18 months, 8000 miles, no accidents.

Preceeding that, 17 years in high power to weight ratio sportscars without major incident. That made me think I could hop on two wheels and possibly not kill myself. ;)

But you ask a question that isn't asked enough. Especially in common cager company. It's always "How many people have died?" and the stats are stacked to make it sound impressively dangerous...but it's never asked "How many do, without major incident?" (Where major would be considered a debilitiating lifetime injury.) I suspect the numbers are higher than you'd suspect.
Well, reading threads and watching videos, you start to think that its GUARANTEED that you will total your bike or die in a grisly accident. The world needs more positive in it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have only been riding since July 2010, but I haven't wrecked yet. I did drop the bike (with me on it) and ram my shoulder into the concrete of my garage floor. Instinct or luck kept me from hitting my head on the floor. I was just moving the bike back into the garage after lubricating the chain.

Anyway... I counted it! So, did the place that sold me my new mirror stalk.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts