Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
New to this forum. I'm needing some guru advice. Looking at getting a new bike. Have owned a couple vintage bikes. First was an '81 xs1100, and now am on an '86 Magna. I love my Magna, everything runs perfect. Even though I adore the thing, I'm always concerned taking a 30 year old bike on long trips and am looking to get something a bit newer. I'm in no huge hurry to get one, so I'm waiting for the perfect deal on craigslist. Looking to spend between 3-4k. Most of the bike years in that area range from 2001 - 2007. A lot have lower miles (2k - 10k). So my question is how many miles are too few for a bike of that age? Yes, I realize I can't judge without riding and inspecting them in person, but when is it to the point of 'concern' when browsing?

And why are the Boulevards so cheap?

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Last year l bought a 2004 sport bike with 5k miles and had one small issue with it, and that turned out to be nothing.

Other people have said that they wouldn't buy a bike with that few miles on it because they worry about fuel sitting for long periods of time. So you will get varying opinions for sure.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
I bought a 2003 last fall with 7200 miles on it but it was ridden regularly, serviced regularly and stored properly each winter. They just rode it around the local area so the miles didn't accumulate. I've not had a problem with it.

If the bike had not been ridden for a long period of time and not stored properly it would likely be an entirely different story.

Get as much info on the history of each bike as you can. There are a lot of low mileage bikes out there that people buy and then hardly ride. Their loss can be your gain.

Not sure why the Boulevards run cheaper but they do so around here as well.

·
8,572 Posts
Give me a bike with very few miles and I will take it anytime over one with lots of miles.:biggrin:

I had a brand new 1981 Yamaha XS1100 and if I could find one with 10 miles on it I would pay a fortune for it. Mine was $3,200 new.

Obviously some items would have to be replaced due to age but so what?? At least the engine and trans and final drive would have basically no wear. Tires, brake lines, battery, carb parts , exposed wiring, gas tank rust (inside) and cosmetics, would all have to be looked at.

One with high mileage and possibly abused would be of no use to me at all.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Give me a bike with very few miles and I will take it anytime over one with lots of miles.:biggrin:

I had a brand new 1981 Yamaha XS1100 and if I could find one with 10 miles on it I would pay a fortune for it. Mine was $3,200 new.

Obviously some items would have to be replaced due to age but so what?? At least the engine and trans and final drive would have basically no wear. Tires, brake lines, battery, carb parts , exposed wiring, gas tank rust (inside) and cosmetics, would all have to be looked at.

One with high mileage and possibly abused would be of no use to me at all.

'81 XS1100 took my motorcycle virginity. Those things can kick. Only wish it was my second bike so I knew how to properly wield it's power.

·
8,572 Posts
When it first came out the Yamaha XS1100 took on all comers:biggrin:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just test drove my first Shadow 1100 Spirit. It has a VH exhaust and seemed real vibratey. I'm so used to driving my Magna with stock exhaust. Not sure if it was a healthy vibration or not. Should the Spirit produce that much more vibration, or am I just so used to stock Magna?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Let's just say if it's gone a decade and it still hdoesn't have enough miles to warrant the break-in service (500-600 miles on most bikes), don't walk...run.

·
8,572 Posts
Yes, twins vibrate much more than finely balanced 4 cylinder's.

Shack, what in the world is wrong in the scenario you mentioned?

Sam:biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Let's just say if it's gone a decade and it still hdoesn't have enough miles to warrant the break-in service (500-600 miles on most bikes), don't walk...run.
I don't know there. In that case I'd have to reconsider my resistance to low mileage bikes. One like that would warrant close inspection if the price was right.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Shack, what in the world is wrong in the scenario you mentioned?

Ten year old oil, tires, rubber hoses, etc etc etc all of which would no doubt need replacement.

And really, would you want those pistons sliding up and down with ten year old oil? ;)

·
Registered
427 Posts
The 1100 Spirit is not a vibe monster, it has an offset crankpin to fool the engine into behaving like a 90º twin, which is the most perfect harmonic balanced V you can have.

Now the single pin 1100 motors are another story, the ACE/pre-Y2K Aero are more Harley-like in design. The difference between the two is more torque & vibration on the single pin version and more power on the offset pin version.

·
Registered
427 Posts
There are a lot of bikes more than a decade old running just fine. :icon_cool:

There are a lot of things to consider other than date of mfg. ;)
Such as extremely low miles...see prior posts I made on the issue.

My newest bike is 18 years old, but it gets ridden. Big difference.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
^^^There it is. The less an engine has been run, the less wear it has.

Yes, on an older bike you may have to change tires and oils and do some cleaning and de-gunking, and if you have to pay someone else to do that it can get expensive, fast. But if you can do some or all of that yourself, then you'll likely have a "newer" bike at a better cost.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts