Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying my first bike and I may buy it this winter if I can get a smoking deal. I have all but decided on a V Star 1100 and since I am a noobie I am a little more comfortable buying from a dealer and I live in a remote area, so buying trips cost $. I am not really saving money of Kiiji, if I am staying in a hotel to shop.

I am seriously looking at two bikes and I am going to the city soon and may talk wifey into buying one.

One is an 07 with 12000 KM or 7500 miles. (Unfamiliar with dealer)

Or an 05 with 16000 KM or 10000 miles. (Large reputable dealer I know)

I know they are going to try to sell me on the low KM's, but isn't this almost too low? Doesn't this mean the machine sat around most summers? Am I correct to be nervous?

Would appreciate some advice here on what to watch for.

The 07 is a custom paint job and it strikes me as odd someone would custom paint it and not use it.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Storage is the key. The problem with a lot of low-mileage motorcycles is that they were simply just parked without properly prepping them for storage.

One thing to check is the tires. If the date codes show they are the OEM tires, it would be a great idea to change them out for safety sake, even if they have plenty of tread. Tires start becoming unsafe after 5-6 years.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

The thing is, you know the dealer is going to claim it was stored properly.

Just makes me a little leery, having no experience.

Good tip on the tires.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
You can always tell how well it runs by starting it up and running the engine. Hard starting, backfiring, sputtering, flat spots in the throttle, or misfiring are good indicators that there is a fuel/air problem.

You can also pull the spark plugs to check and make sure the fuel mixture is where it should be. A nice tan color on the electrode is ideal. Black soot or white electrodes indicates the fuel mixture may be wrong.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
l bought my '04 with 5k miles, and l was a little concerned, but my gut feeling about it was good and l have had no problems.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,879 Posts
Bought this 10 year Old FXR4 with 14,000 Miles on it .. Added another 34,000 without a minutes trouble save a couple minor issues which could have happened on a brand new Bike ..

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I would be cautious, as you seem to be, about an excessively low mileage used bike. Dodsfall's tips seem to me like good advice. No matter what they try to tell you, you know that excessively low miles is not a good thing on any vehicle so don't fall into that trap. Personally, I would be looking for a well used and maintained bike. Heck, my 2013 Vision just turned 20,000 miles, about 32,000 KM, today while I was out riding in temperatures hovering right around freezing. It is almost 2 years old so that is not high miles but is not so low to make you wonder if it was actually ridden.

·
Very Famous Person
9,840 Posts
--

I disagree that there can be too few miles on a vehicle. Some folks just don't ride much. I had a neighbor who bought a nice new bike for his wife, but she wasn't into riding, so he sold it two years later with (I imagine) 500 miles on it. I have two bikes and two ATVs and I just don't have time or energy to ride them all constantly. So some don't get many miles each year.

Then, a bike from a coastal town is going to have salt air rust in corners, or a bike stored in the desert clime is going to get a dried out seat real soon. Yes, the storage place matters. As does the location, the age of rider, amount of maintenance, places ridden and age of bike. The more you know of the owner and the better the guarantee, the safer you are.

--

·
Nightfly
4,228 Posts
Bought this 10 year Old FXR4 with 14,000 Miles on it .. Added another 34,000 without a minutes trouble save a couple minor issues which could have happened on a brand new Bike ..

That's a damn nice looking bike Joe, wish it was sitting in my garage...:)

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,879 Posts
That's a damn nice looking bike Joe, wish it was sitting in my garage...:)
Kind of regret letting this one go TR .. But the Collector made me an offer I couldn't refuse .. Offered almost double what it was truly worth at the time anyway, don't doubt it will be worth a lot more with later on .. And was getting to where could see was going to need some work in the future so let it go but still miss it .. While miss a few Bikes I have sold over the years they are not even close to how I miss this one ..

·
Nightfly
4,228 Posts
That was a limited edition wasn't it? I understand how you feel about letting it go, sure is a beauty. I've let some cars go that would have made we wealthy today, but no one knew at the time. Sure is a sweet ride. Joe.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I know there are a lot of factors involved but I would not be scared just because of mileage.I once bought a Harley Ultra Classic that was about 15 years old with 365 miles on it,changed out the tires and fluids and rode that bike all over the USA with no problem.Doesn't happen like that all the time but it does happen.Bought my Dyna that I ride now with 7000 on it and no probs yet,that was 10k ago.Run it,ride it(if possible) and if it feels good buy it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You're a "noobie" and starting on an 1100 cc bike? I'd sure think that decision over carefully. I think you'll have more fun, learn better, and be safer on a bike half that size or less. 250 cc might be ideal. Light is good!

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
You're a "noobie" and starting on an 1100 cc bike? I'd sure think that decision over carefully. I think you'll have more fun, learn better, and be safer on a bike half that size or less. 250 cc might be ideal. Light is good!
The Vstar is going to be heavier than a smaller motorcycle, but I don't think it's a terrible first bike. The engine may put out 50-some odd horsepower, which is manageable for most new riders.

I would suggest taking a BRC before buying. Do an honest assessment of how comfortable the slow speed maneuvering during the class was. If it comes fairly easily, a mid-weight motorcycle should be ok. If there is some difficulty with the slow speed maneuvering or the motorcycle controls in general, a lighter motorcycle is the best bet to get more practice at the basics.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,879 Posts
That was a limited edition wasn't it? I understand how you feel about letting it go, sure is a beauty. I've let some cars go that would have made we wealthy today, but no one knew at the time. Sure is a sweet ride. Joe.
There were 316 FXR4's made in that Tangerine Color .. There were around 900 Made altogether the other 600 or so were in the Yellow with the Same FXR4 Pattern .. The 1999 FXR2 and FXR3 and 2000 FXR4 were the First CVO's HD did all Hand Built by HD's Best Employees ..

·
Registered
518 Posts
I bought a used 2009 V-Star 650 Classic last summer that had 2,937 kms on the dial. The bike looked mint in the pics online and it was owned by an older gent who bought it for his wife who decided bikes were not for her. All was confirmed correct when I went to see the bike in person and talk to the owners. In the end, the bike was better than expected, had been serviced properly with the paperwork to prove it and had been stored right. So far no issues and the bike runs great.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
It is always possible, that like car/truck purchases, you can get a "facts" sheet on it, telling you who owned it previously.

I've had Dealerships actually let me CONTACT the previous owner of a vehicle (with their permission, of course) and I was able to meet them at their home, and get an idea of how they "live" (if you will). You can tell a sloppy, disorganized and undisciplined lifestyle by what you see. THAT will give you a good indication of how your potential bike was treated.

Which kinda says "buy privately" if you can really. At least in THAT situation, you get a first hand impression of the likelihood that you are being snowed.

I'd buy a bike (for example) from Dodsfall, without skipping a beat. Because he knows what he has, and knows how to maintain it. (Of course there are others in here I feel the same way about, but that's just one example).

The only real "upside" I see (regardless of mileage really) to buying from a Dealership, is the obvious limited Warranty that is a part of the deal.

there are a few videos (naturally) on YouTube about "what to look for" as far as "condition" is concerned. Would be worth your while to surf around there, and see what you can learn.

As for "Mileage" itself, it doesn't carry much weight with me, if I have evidence that the existing product has had needed parts replacements done, and regular servicing in general.

I've seen, as you probably have as well, those folks who brag about the 100's of thousands of miles they have on the odometer, but the vehicle still runs great!!

-soupy

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,879 Posts
Had a 2 Up Mustang Seat with a Sissybar and Backrest for Lucy when she wanted to go along but Mostly preferred riding with me on the Ultra and the Cross Country both Touring Bikes and far more comfortable think this will happen with the Scout as well ..

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
........... think this will happen with the Scout as well ..
Hold the phone..........did I miss something???? I know you LIKE the Indian Scout, but did you buy one already????

-soupy

1 - 20 of 27 Posts