Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing seems to be working out for me wirh finding a motorcycle, mostly because of budgetary constraints. If I didn’t ride until Spring, after taking the msf recently, would i have to take the course again? I don’t mean, take it again to get a license, just because I hadn’t been on a bike in a while.

·
On The Road Again!
4,221 Posts
If you passed the course, then you know how to ride, although you still have a lot to learn.
If'n I was you, come spring I'd take the bike to a big parking lot and practice riding there for a while until it all starts to come back to you.
Once you have the hang of it again, take the bike on the road EARLY on Saturday or Sunday mornings when there is no one out there but you.
DO NOT try riding in heavy traffic yet. That comes later!
Good luck with the "budgetary constraints".
I surely know what that is about.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Depends on your comfort and confidence levels. As Offcenter said, if you have easy access to a practice area, I wouldn't be too concerned. If you do not and you are worried about it, then it would probably be a good idea to retake the course.

I know that when I first started, I'd sit on the bike without starting it and just go through the motions as well as mentally rehearse (or replay my mistakes) while laying in bed at night. My wife became concerned when I stopped snoring and started vroooming! :smile_big:

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
670 Posts
if you passed the MSF course, you can get your license now. You don't have to wait to get that. You ride your motorcycle there, because you will be licensed.

Be patient. Days before my course I was hit by a red light runner and had to keep delaying things over and over. It took awhile but it finally all came together.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
With Fall already here and winter coming, start saving now. If saving cash is hard for you, because something always comes up, start a savings account at your bank. Set yourself a minimum for each weekly, bi-weekly or monthly deposit, more when you can.

With a savings account, you'll still have the money, it will just take longer to get at it, and more time to think about the "emergency", is it really an emergency?

Bike fever can be strong, but try to avoid going and looking all the time. Saving can become a habit. When you find you've built up a nice little wad, then start checking on-line used bikes.

You might find yourself thinking "well, if I just save for another X amount of time, I can get a much better bike."

One last thing. When you find "your" bike and buy it, stop looking! There's always going to be another deal next week or next month. Don't beat yourself up looking at what you "could" of had.

You'll get your bike. Share your pictures because we'll want to see them and enjoy it! :)

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Bike fever can be strong, but try to avoid going and looking all the time. One last thing.

When you find "your" bike and buy it, stop looking! There's always going to be another deal next week or next month. Don't beat yourself up looking at what you "could" of had.
I feel personally attacked :tongue: . lol

I once missed out on buying the fastest smart car in the world (no exaggeration) because I couldn't wait to add another smart car to my fleet. IIRC it was literally two days after I gave the seller the money on a rare convertible smart car that the fastest was put up for sale for the same price I paid for the other car.

You're not wrong, though! :) Wait until the riding season ends and I guarantee you'll find an awesome deal.

Take your MSF certificate to the DMV right now, get the endorsement on your license, and you'll be ready to rock when spring comes around. That is, of course, if the MSF certificate is a waiver out of the DMV test in your state. For me it was literally walk in, hand in the certificate, then pay $10. Instantly legal to ride.

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
How do you get the motorcycle to the parking lot?
I didn't feel comfortable riding to any of the empty parking lots around my area. I live in a somewhat busy traffic area and I would've had to cross intersections with traffic lights. I didn't feel up to it. So I had to ride on the roads around my house during the quieter hours of the day. I did this until I felt comfortable going through busier intersections with traffic lights.

If you have someone who can ride your future bike to the parking lot, then I'd recommend that instead of doing what I did.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do you get the motorcycle to the parking lot?
I didn't feel comfortable riding to any of the empty parking lots around my area. I live in a somewhat busy traffic area and I would've had to cross intersections with traffic lights. I didn't feel up to it. So I had to ride on the roads around my house during the quieter hours of the day. I did this until I felt comfortable going through busier intersections with traffic lights.

If you have someone who can ride your future bike to the parking lot, then I'd recommend that instead of doing what I did.
There is a motorcycle that I have considered getting but was on the fence because I probably wouldn’t have the title until the end of October, so I wouldn’t really have a chance to ride it until next year but it is a really good deal. The only thing is, it hasn’t been ridden much and if I just stick it in the shed now for the winter, I don’t know if I’d have any issues.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There is a motorcycle that I have considered getting but was on the fence because I probably wouldn’t have the title until the end of October, so I wouldn’t really have a chance to ride it until next year but it is a really good deal. The only thing is, it hasn’t been ridden much and if I just stick it in the shed now for the winter, I don’t know if I’d have any issues.

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
I haven't winterized a bike yet. From what little I know, you have to fill up the tank, add fuel stabilizer, & attach a battery tender to the battery. I know these people here will tell you everything you'll need to know about winterizing a bike :thumbsup:

I remember your other thread about getting scammed. Glad to hear you found another potential bike! So you already have a basic course scheduled? Edit: Whoops nevermind. I see you've taken it and passed. Excellent.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
When I took the MSF course, I immediately got my motorcycle endorsement so that I would be ready to ride when I got a bike. But for various reasons, I could not get a bike at all. But I did get a little scooter. Riding that scooter helped really teach me to ride, to the point that I felt confident going out into heavy traffic on busy streets. About a year later the obstacles to me riding a motorcycle had resolved, and I was able to buy a nice used bike. I was afraid that after a year I would have forgotten about how to use the clutch and shift gears, things I didn’t do on the scooter, but my fears were unwarranted. I rode only early in the morning on quiet residential streets while I got used to having a real motorcycle which literally was twice the weight of my scooter. But before long I was riding everywhere, and a few months later took a solo 600 mile ride to a motorcycle rally. That was all over 35 years ago and I have been riding ever since. Good luck, and don’t lose faith in yourself.

·
Visionary
5,302 Posts
If you cant ride it for a while fill the tank, put a few extra pounds of air in the tires, put in some fuel stabilizer, shake it up then run it for 10 minutes, and then plug it into a battery tender, then walk away sadly and leave it alone.

Leave it as long as necessary, when your ready to ride it unplug it, check the tire pressure, start it and ride away, it will be fine.

Some people get a bit crazy, jacking things up, removing batteries, wrapping it in hermetially sealed wrappings and keeping it warm and cozy. None are really necessary.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Whoa! I have to give up riding for a year and I almost forgot about Stabil! I lubed the chain up, put Aerospace 303 all over the bike and tires (proved it improves traction, great for plastics and rubber to look great, put on the battery tender, but forgot about the gasoline!)

Thank you so much for the accidental reminder!

I ran red for a lot of years, but I heard green stabil works better. I've had some big car projects which took years of getting the money together for engines and what not so I'll be pushing stabil pretty far. I just keep adding it every few months. We'll see what happens.

Over the winter will be fine, what I'm doing may not work...but I'll say this on a project car where I did massive upgrades. The gasoline still smells like good gasoline. This is one my worst holes for performance issues as a mechanic. I forget to check the gas. It's usually not the problem, but if a car has sat around a lot the gas doesn't smell right, then you know.

I'm going to go shoot some WD40 or equivalent into the cables for the breaks and gas to keep it from rusting up too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I haven't winterized a bike yet. From what little I know, you have to fill up the tank, add fuel stabilizer, & attach a battery tender to the battery. I know these people here will tell you everything you'll need to know about winterizing a bike :thumbsup:

I remember your other thread about getting scammed. Glad to hear you found another potential bike! So you already have a basic course scheduled? Edit: Whoops nevermind. I see you've taken it and passed. Excellent.
Oh no! That was him who got scammed! I think I read that too!

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
I'm pretty sure he's a she.
So if you can't use guy/gal or him/her or he/she and you don't know their name, what do you use? I don't think, it, is good substitute. So for example, what noun can you use in something like..."Tell ____ that xxx yyy zzz is okay to use on your bike". Simple sentence or statement with a complex word usage in this screwy PC world we live in today.

So what word is "heshehimheritguygal"?:devil:

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
So if you can't use guy/gal or him/her or he/she and you don't know their name, what do you use? I don't think, it, is good substitute. So for example, what noun can you use in something like..."Tell ____ that xxx yyy zzz is okay to use on your bike". Simple sentence or statement with a complex word usage in this screwy PC world we live in today.

So what word is "heshehimheritguygal"?:devil:
They/Them/Their are the sexless pronouns of the English language. :)

I generally use those pronouns when the person I'm talking to could be either gender or if the person specifically requests me to use those words in replacement of she/her/hers or he/him/his.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
They/Them/Their are the sexless pronouns of the English language. :)

I generally use those pronouns when the person I'm talking to could be either gender or if the person specifically requests me to use those words in replacement of she/her/hers or he/him/his.
But those are the plural form. I was wondering about the singular form. I can't win no matter what anyway.:surprise::smile::rolleyes: I get it though.:crying::crying::crying:

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
670 Posts
To the original poster.

Get your license completed. You don't have to own a bike for that. Once you have your bike you will be ready and legal. Then you can work on practice and getting better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.