Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting a Sportbike for the longest time...

I will be a first time rider and I was considering a 300cc Sportbike like the:

KTM RC 390
Yamaha R3

But since these are new models I kinda want a used bike to learn with.

I drive a Honda S2000 so I have experience with manual transmissions, expcept for a motorbike :p

But I am thinking just jumping onto a 600cc sportbike, because I know for a fact that is my near end goal for my Sportsbike desire.

I am a short guy so I felt 300cc would be perfect for me, but I am strong for my size so I feel I can handle a 600cc as well.

I am glad to be hear and just being a sponge!!!

Thanks! :71baldboy:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you planning to do with the motorcycle? How fast are you planning to ride it?
I want to be proficient with a motorcycle on the streets and on the track.

how fast?

I am more interested in maneuvering in streets and perhaps 85 mph on freeway.

On the track I would just like to be proficient.

I am thinking about going straight to a 600cc would make the most sense for me.

Thanks!

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
How fast are you GROWING??????

-Soupy

·
Registered
140 Posts
A 300cc will do what you need it to but I would say that you would out grow it after you do 2 things.
#1. Get one season of riding under your belt
#2. Ride a 600:wink:

After that, I would bet that the 300 just wont be enough for you. I could be wrong...

I ride a 650cc and even tho its has all the power I need... I wouldn't cry if it had more. That extra power is nice when it comes to passing (Some people in cars like to mess with motorcycles when they pass them. If you cant get around them quickly you could be put in a bad spot.) keeping up with who you are riding with (their 600cc-1700cc)

Jumping on a 600cc as a first bike... that sounds like disaster waiting to happen.
My suggestion is very cliche. Get a cheap 250cc to learn on and get your license, ride it for a bit and go test ride a 300cc and a 600cc. You can prob sell the 250cc for what you bought it for. Then go get your new bike!!!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I want to be proficient with a motorcycle on the streets and on the track.

how fast?

I am more interested in maneuvering in streets and perhaps 85 mph on freeway.

On the track I would just like to be proficient.

I am thinking about going straight to a 600cc would make the most sense for me.

Thanks!
Same old argument. First you will not "outgrow" a 300 sport bike. For reference go to youtube and look at the racers who ride 250's and 300's. You're head may tell you you've outgrown it, but if you can't/aren't riding it to the max then you haven't outgrown the bike. (and if you are outriding the bike get a sponsor and start racing) Secondly, a manual car and a bike are apples and oranges. The ability to use a clutch with your foot and the extreme multi tasking on a bike just don't compare. Yes, you may want something different if you are planning on long road trips (for comfort mostly) or you may want more carrying capacity but those are the real reasons for a bigger bike. Get a used 250 Ninja, put 10 or 15,000 miles on it (note I didn't say ride for a year), and really learn to ride. You'll smoke most guys who went straight to a 600, and your chance of survival or that you will still be riding in a year are greatly increased.
Being strong is great, but it doesn't take much strength to twist a bit much and end up on your back in the street, or brake a bit hard and wash the front or endo and faceplant. Plus the bikes you're talking about are very light with a high HP to weight ratio. A 600 RR also has a peaky powerband that can and will reach out and grab you with a minor error (one like noobs make all the time). Yes there are people who start on a 600 and do okay, but the vast majority drop out of riding or crash out of riding (hence the large number of low mileage 600's available).

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Where do you live? If you live in Florida or another state that doesn't have any curvy roads, you might get tired of a beginner bike within a few months.

If you live where you can attack the back roads, canyons, mountain roads, etc...you can ride a lifetime on a slow bike.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
If you are brand new to motorcycling, l would not get a new bike. If you are interested in sport bikes, l would take the BRC course and start by buying a used Kawasaki EX250 or EX500, or a Suzuki GS500. I say this because you will drop it. Drop a used bike, and it devalues it a few hundred bucks. Drop a new bike and it devalues it a few thousand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm, I would like to master the 300cc sportsbike first then!

now I gotta find one...what stinks is that I like the

KTM RC 390 and R3 and they are not out yet!

:(

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
hmmm, I would like to master the 300cc sportsbike first then!

now I gotta find one...what stinks is that I like the

KTM RC 390 and R3 and they are not out yet!

:(
Know what will be the most satisfying part of owning your brand new R3? When you forget to take it off the kickstand and try to ride away, and your foot gets caught and you spill it on the road, and look down and see a big old splash of road rash down the side of it and you swallow hard and immediately think, "That Hawk guy from that motorcycle forum told me l would crash my new bike and l didn't listen." Suddenly the bike you spent $5299 on is worth $2350. Enjoy that moment my friend :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Know what will be the most satisfying part of owning your brand new R3? When you forget to take it off the kickstand and try to ride away, and your foot gets caught and you spill it on the road, and look down and see a big old splash of road rash down the side of it and you swallow hard and immediately think, "That Hawk guy from that motorcycle forum told me l would crash my new bike and l didn't listen." Suddenly the bike you spent $5299 on is worth $2350. Enjoy that moment my friend :)
naw, I wont be buying the R3, RC 390, brand new...

most likely would wait...who knows how long :p

that is why I am sad, because I have to wait :p

How about the Ninja300ABS ?

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
How about a good running little 2005 Ninja 250 that has already been dropped but is in good working condition for $1500? Ride it for a year and then go buy the bike of your dreams when you are capable of keeping it nice. Look at it this way...it's your first bike, not your last.

Look, l'm not trying to be a dick. We just get a handful of guys here every week asking what we think, and we tell them...buy a used bike and use it for your guinea pig. Some get it and go buy a good used bike and are on their way to success. A lot of times, though, people think it won't happen to them, so they disregard the advice of seasoned riders and buy a flashy new bike anyway, then they are crushed when they see how fast it gets scraped up. It is in every motorcyclist's best interest that new riders approach riding in the right way.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
And another thing...don't underestimate the fun level of a 250 Ninja...you've never ridden before, so how would you know? From what l understand, they are a blast :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If you're wondering how long it will be before you get "bored" of a Ninja 250, check this out.. & also some VERY interesting comments in the dialogue there too

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
That's a good one too RobMoore. It's interesting how the "big boy" bikes can go in a straight line, but the "little" 250 smokes them in the corners. Not to say that an equal rider wouldn't beat a 250 on a 600, but, it shows the capability.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts