Motorcycle Forum banner

How Fast Will it Go ... What's the Hurry?

3K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  chesterdawg 
#1 · (Edited)
So how fast will this one go? That's what an old friend asked about my bike when I bumped into him a while back.
I told him it would indicate about 163~164 MPH on the speedo but actual speed is less.
He said MAN! What's the hurry?
Over the weekend I realized I've always known the correct answer, just didn't have it on the tip of my tongue at the time.

Last weekend I had to go to Dallas by way of the I 45 freeway. The way things worked out... I had to take the bike, no time to take back roads, it's gotta be I 45.
Starting about 90 miles south of Dallas the whole freeway is running 85 ~ 100 MPH, some even more.
I never needed to run near top speed but I sure needed the HP the bike has to get to a "safer" spot in traffic.
Sometimes I'd have to run up to about 115 MPH in a hurry just to be a little "safer".
So what's the hurry? Trying not to get killed, that's the hurry... :surprise:
You ever used your bikes HP to keep from getting killed???

#3 ·
A moving target is harder to hit! It's also more visible. When in traffic, I am always moving faster than the cars around me, not ridiculously so, but always faster. It helps to focus your attention on where you're going and where you can go. Riding along with the flow of traffic is dangerous, and getting boxed in can remove all options for safety.

#4 ·
When in traffic, I am always moving faster than the cars around me, not ridiculously so, but always faster. It helps to focus your attention on where you're going and where you can go. Riding along with the flow of traffic is dangerous, and getting boxed in can remove all options for safety.
Same here! We have a few smaller, divided highways around here and, even though the speed limit is 55, the traffic during rush hour will routinely be traveling 65-70 with very sudden slow-downs as people exit or enter. I try to stay between the "schools of fish" and that usually means I'm traveling fast enough to stay ahead of one group but still keep a safe distance behind the other group.

The hp comes in handy if I end up getting stuck near or in a group of idiots who seem hellbent on seeing who can be the biggest... idiot.

#5 ·
I have been known to light the afterburners.

But, there is this thing called the speed limit.

Today, in many urban areas traffic easily moves along at 85 MPH. My little MT-07 can make that speed and more easily with reserve power, do not need a 200 horse machine. But, I think I would prefer to take a different route or my cage if that sort of speed is needed for sustained periods.

#6 ·
But, I think I would prefer to take a different route or my cage if that sort of speed is needed for sustained periods.
3crows, you make a good point.

About six weeks ago I took a ride on family business that was just over 200 miles round trip. The first time, I rode half of it on the Interstate, which is always the quickest route. The traffic was not too bad, the speeds about 75, and my 300 kept up fine -- but I thought about what it would be like in heavier traffic.

This weekend, I made the trip again, this time plotting a route that stuck pretty strictly to 2-lane roads, with a bit of 55 mph 4-lane mileage thrown in. The stress factor was nil, and the total time for the round trip was only 16 minutes more than the freeway dash. For me, the relaxed ride was easily worth the extra time.

#7 ·
Those Hoosiers I think think our whole state is the Indy 500 no matter how fast you go someone is trying to pass you, and it does not matter what road it is. Only ones being stopped are the slower more timid speedsters. Sad.

#9 ·
"Sometimes you have to go fairly fast to keep up with the folks behind you." Krusty

That comment sort of sums it up for me! Seems like if you are on a Bike or in a Motorhome, everyone and their Mother just has to pass and be in front of you.

I normally ride or drive about 5 mph above any posted speed and still these nut's, just have to pass, especially if they have one of those little, tiny, under powered SUV's that seem to be everywhere nowadays.

I believe that going faster than the traffic flow is a good way to stay out of trouble, especially on a bike! Whatever you do, stay out of the slow lane (far right) on any multi-lane Highways or Interstate, where you have the brain dead entering, not knowing how to MERGE and then the last minute Folks cutting across 4+ lanes to get off at the last second.

Sam:)

#10 ·
I like to know what my top speed is on any bike and how fast I can get there. I also like to find that hole where there isn't anyone and then maintain what ever speed is required to stay in that little bubble. It might mean leap frogging to the next bubble as well. Whatever is required to stay away from others. Sometimes it just can't be done but I try.:thumbsup:

#15 · (Edited)
I like to know what my top speed is on any bike and how fast I can get there... :thumbsup:
Me too. ^

Unlike many of you, I get a bike or two that I like and keep it, usually longer than parts are available for it.
In other words I keep 'em too long.

Back on topic, top speed. (Of bikes I can remember). Indicated, not actual.

1960's-ish year model CB150: 70 MPH.*
* It would go faster but dad had no desire to fix the wobble that started at 70 MPH... Smart man. Lol

1972 Kawasaki H2 750 tipple: Somewhere around ~140 MPH.*
* At 'flat out' the speedo went nuts. (Front wheel off the ground often.)

1979 KZ650: 125MPH @ 9500 RPM (500 RPM beyond redline).

1985? Ninja 600: 140 MPH. A planed roadracer but the engine didn't last past street testing.

1973 RD350: ~120-ish. (Front wheel off ground).

1986 FZ750: 155 MPH.

1984? RZ350: 132 MPH.

1999 R6: 170 MPH. (If you held it long enough).

2002 FZ1: 160~161 MPH: (Dealership jealous of my stellar reputation. Ran it w/out oil on new set up, sold).

2003 FZ1; 163~164 MPH: (Bought used like I should have done first). I'm still riding this 15 yr old bike.

With the exception of the RD350, I still own, and the RZ350 all others were (or are) street only bikes.
Race bikes kinda came and went. Most didn't have speedometers anyway....
:grin: :thumbsup:

#11 · (Edited)
I know my Goldwing will do 95. That's more than fast enough for me.
But, a little story....
I grew up next door to an old time mechanic's garage. He'd been working on cars his whole life and had seen them all.
Being young and new to cars and bikes, I was always excited about the latest and fastest things out there.
I would bring over the magazines to show him....
"Hey Tommy! Look at this! The new Jaguar XKE will do 150 mph!"
His response was always the same....
He'd shrug his shoulders, put his hands out palms up and say with a little smile,
"Where ya goin'? heh heh heh"
It took growing up and growing older for me to understand.
Now I look at these RIDICULOUS sport bikes that will do 175 OR MORE right out of the box and I think, "Where ya goin'?"
LOL!!!

P.S. That said, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have a Lightning Electric 218 that will do a silent 218 mph right out of the box. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 ·
Its not just for safety, its for comfort as well. When I had a cruiser of 865cc it had to really get up high in the revs to keep up 75 or better on the highway. And maybe its psychological but when the bike is working hard it tires ME out as well. On my Goldwing I can cruise at 80 mph at about 3200 rpm with the bike feeling like it is hardly working up a sweat, so to speak. Makes my comfort level a great deal better. And it can be very frustrating to have a low HP bike and have to be on the highway when going into a strong headwind. That said, unless I was on a racetrack I don't push any bike to the limit. I've been up to about 110 on back country two lane roads, and that's about as fast as I probably ever will go on my current bike, and that's fast enough to get my adrenaline pumping so all is good.

#13 ·
Vito, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Maybe it's maturity, maybe it's just old age, but more and more it seems to me that, while the monster machines are awesome and spark something just a bit wild in even a greybeard who knows damn well he'd kill himself on one, a realistic appraisal of your actual needs along with a willingness to change your approach to things when that will provide a solution is a valuable thing to have.

For my main needs and wishes, in this time when I'm re-learning how to ride, my 300 will serve nobly and well. I CAN make highspeed Internet runs on it, but there is very real comfort when in those scenarios in the reality of a heavier, larger-displacement bike. Before I embark on any Interstate runs across Montana, or an Interstate trip from home to Maine, I'm gonna get a bigger machine!

In the meantime, I could sure as heck take those trips if I changed my mindset, added a bit of time to the effort, and travelled the secondary highways. And for that my L'il Red Rooster is exactly perfect. One measly 286cc cylinder... it ain't all the fun you can have, but it's plenty!

#14 · (Edited)
"when the bike is working hard it tires ME out as well" ...

amen to that ! i am buzzing around (basically learning to ride, as i never put very many hours in when i was young) on my '73 kawasaki 90cc 2-stroke. the bike has to work its ass off to keep up ... lots of noise, lots of gear shifting, VERY uncomfortable seat. after a 20 minute ride to my destination and a 20 minute ride back, i am done in.

when i get my gl1100 on the road i don't know what the top speed will be, and will likely never find out, but it will feel safer having the power to pass a brain-dead texter or make-up artist, and i do expect the rides to be much less tiring.

#16 ·
Well, I know I hit the ton on my GS850G, I just don't know how far past it I went. I wanted to see who was more truthful, the speedometer or specs I found online. Well, the speedo stopped moving at 85 yet the bike kept pulling hard all the way to redline. You win, Internet. :D

#29 ·
Was this it Sam or was this one someone made into a tourer? I know they had one back then that I really considered but not sure of the year. It was after I got my 85 Electra Glide so it might have been in the 88 timeframe when I wanted to dump that darn bike. Voyager rings a bell to me. Just not sure it's the same engine. I do know I really consider one.

#26 ·
Yeah, the Dunstall Kawasaki was based off the KZ900 and / or KZ1000. Maybe punched out to 1100 cc ? Can't remember now.
I believe this pic is a 1979 year model.

Attachments

#27 ·
Kawasaki's latest H2. ($50,000). Intended for Pro racing, special order.
You can get the privateer version for only $25,000...

Attachments

#28 ·
I guess "Muscle Bike" is a more appropriate designation for the KZ1300 and its competitors than superbike. Like muscle cars, they're crazy fast but may be a little "complicated" on the handling. :D

Reactions: Porky
#30 ·
I found this Larry:

They were a feature laden, top of the line touring bike that had some amazing power when needed!:smile_big:

I think at the time I looked at them I had a new Kawasaki KLR650 and a new Yamaha V-Max, so my stable was adequately filled:surprise:

Sam:nerd:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.