Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For your dream bike?
(Went above and beyond for mine today)

·
Registered
2015 custom/ modded Yamaha R3
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I traded my trusty old heavy walmart bike for my dream bmx bike, a Felt with rear brake(pics on way). Do not ever sit on a used bike seat!😩

·
Short Fuse
852 Posts
How far, as in miles or sacrifices? I went from Rockhampton to Melbourne (2000 kilometres each way - approx 1250 miles) to buy a Moto Guzzi Le Mans. Drove a hire car there and rode the bike back in the middle of winter. It was worth the effort.

·
Ace Tuner
3,939 Posts
One time the wife and I drove to Dallas (about 250 miles from home) to buy a hard to find used bike. Not a dream bike, just THE bike I wanted. It was January. For the ride home I brought what passes for cold weather gear around these parts. It was needed.
Turned out to be a good purchase. That was about 18 years ago and the bike still purrs like a cheetah. My old FZ1. 🏍
I'm a little different than some on this forum (Porky). I get a bike I like, give it what it needs and what makes it mine then keep it... Too Long.

S F

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How far, as in miles or sacrifices? I went from Rockhampton to Melbourne (2000 kilometres each way - approx 1250 miles) to buy a Moto Guzzi Le Mans. Drove a hire car there and rode the bike back in the middle of winter. It was worth the effort.
I would ride 1250 miles for a Moto Guzzi too. Do you still have it?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well i got my dream moto and bmx bikes now, but at a great personal cost. Worth it? Definately!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One time the wife and I drove to Dallas (about 250 miles from home) to buy a hard to find used bike. Not a dream bike, just THE bike I wanted. It was January. For the ride home I brought what passes for cold weather gear around these parts. It was needed.
Turned out to be a good purchase. That was about 18 years ago and the bike still purrs like a cheetah. My old FZ1. 🏍
I'm a little different than some on this forum (Porky). I get a bike I like, give it what it needs and what makes it mine then keep it... Too Long.

S F
Nice! What year Yamaha FZ1? Got any pics!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
The most distance I've traveled is about 400 miles. That was in 2001 (I think) and the bike was near Dodge City, Ks. It was for a Kawasaki Voyager XII. Don't remember what I paid for it, but I hauled it back home in the back on my pickup.

I took the wife with me. I wasn't thinking ahead, had to spend one night in a motel on the way back. If I had been by myself, I would have just slept in the truck.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My dream bike ... I'd have to say is my 1957 Simplex Automatic . I had to travel almost a whole block away to get it .
Actually , I was in Jack Edens' garage , watching him build one of the first roadside mobile traffic signs ( the kind that now have flashing messages ) when I spotted the Simplex way in the back . Of course , I asked about it and Jack said I could have it for 15 dollars . I'm not sure what took me so long to get home and back again in 10 minutes to seal that deal .
That was near 58 years ago . :)

My next loved bike , I journeyed about 90 miles one way for my FA50 that I bought for my wife . Pulled it out of a barn and it rode home in the box of my Dakota .
Took a few weeks to tear it down , wait for spares and refurbish the rest .
That was close to 13 years ago . Just this past week I have it apart for the first time in that 13 years , to replace an factory installed original final drive seal .
While apart , I'll install a new piston ring , tighten the clutch springs and mount new tires . And , clean the carb .
Hopefully it will be good for another 13 years .

Oh , my wife rode the bike once . ;)

·
Ace Tuner
3,939 Posts
Nice! What year Yamaha FZ1? Got any pics!
A first gen 2003 year model.
Only pic's I have are mostly from past M/C pic challenges, like this first one.
Also have one of my "tuck in mirror", radar detector and old man yellow warning sticker on the speedo. (Bike starts to get 'light' at 140).
I should take more photos of my bikes.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Speedometer Hood Automotive tire

S F

·
Visionary
5,519 Posts
A couple of years ago the first weekend in March I drove 400 miles from Bangor, PA to Roanoke, VA to pick up my 08 Vision, then rode it 400 home in below freezing weather the next day, totally bundled up, no heated gear, over the moutntains of Virginia on the one day in between snowstorms.

It was a perfect way to get acquainted with my new bike, we bonded on the way home. Best story from that ride, first fuel stop, I had NO idea how to open the gas tank ( it's not at all intuitive on a Vision, and I did it exactly wrong and jammed it) , the guy that sold it to me didn't pick up the phone, I'm standing there in the gas station shivering trying to figure it out then it hit me to look online...thank goodness for smart phones and google :)

My poor wife was stuck driving the car home while I had all the fun.

·
Short Fuse
852 Posts
I would ride 1250 miles for a Moto Guzzi too. Do you still have it?
Nope...I wish. That was back in the early 80's. It was my first Guzzi and it was awesome. It had some trick exhaust, shocks and mag wheels (can't remember the brands but at the time they were the duck's nuts).

I loved it, but then a Ducati 750SS came up and the Guzzi had to go.

Funny but true story: I advertised the bike in the local rag and a young guy turned up and was interested to buy it. I don't give my bikes to people who I know to ride - let alone people who I don't. So I told the guy to jump on the back and I took him for a quick (very) spin through my local favourite set of corners. He was stuck to me like a limpet.

We got back to my place and I told him to think about it, and went upstairs thinking that he was just a tyre kicker. A few minutes later his mate comes up and says - you scared the shite out of him, but he wants to buy it. Didn't even try to bargain me down....lol.

Years later I bought a Guzzi SP1000. Pretty much the same as the Le Mans except for much smaller carbs (26mm on a 1000cc motorcycle - wtf?), higher bars and a bigger fairing. I changed the carbs, bars and cut down the fairing. It was a great machine as well.

Reactions: Maxpressure520

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A first gen 2003 year model.
Only pic's I have are mostly from past M/C pic challenges, like this first one.
Also have one of my "tuck in mirror", radar detector and old man yellow warning sticker on the speedo. (Bike starts to get 'light' at 140).
I should take more photos of my bikes.
View attachment 72001

View attachment 72002

S F
Aaahhh first gen Yamahas..
Head Human body Gesture Font Cartoon

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,030 Posts
I drove all of 75 miles to get to a Honda dealer who would sell me a new Goldwing at a fair price back in 2016! It was a real challenge, but I changed the oil in the SUV, bought new tires, packed up some food and water, took a few extra magazines in case of an Interstate shoot out, but I made it! Then when the bike was ready to be picked up, I rode the 75 miles again with my Triumph Thunderbird that I was trading in for the Goldwing. But as a motorcyclist, I am willing to overcome such obstacles in pursuit of my passion. Truthfully, that is the furthest I ever went to buy a bike.

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
497 Posts
Right after hurricane katrina I drove from Los Angeles to Louisiana to buy a 1996 Ural Solo 650 with barely 1,000 miles on it .

Along they way I stopped in Texas and bought a 1978 Mercedes Benz 300CD coupe .

I still have the Ural .

·
Short Fuse
852 Posts
I still have the Ural .
They started selling Urals in Oz in the 70's. Can't remember the size - 650cc I think. I really wanted one because I was keen to try a bike with a sidecar, and they looked vintage - like something straight out of a WW2 movie, and that appealed to me.

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
497 Posts
I have three and all are amazingly crude but have also been very reliable and simple & CHEAP to maintain .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts