Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1985 Shadow that’s been registered as non-operational since 2000 (I bought it recently from a place that apparently lied to me). I’m trying to see if my engine is seized before buying the stuff I need to let it run (filters, fuel line, etc). Electrical is fine, afaik, but I tossed the old spark plugs. omegle discord xender
I’ve tried putting it up on its center stand, soaking the cylinders in oil, putting it in gear, and trying to turn the back wheel with a breaker bar to no avail (it spins freely in neutral). Is there anything else I can try?
I need to get this running, but can’t afford a mechanic (otherwise I would’ve bought a functional bike), and none of my friends are able to help much. I really appreciate any help you guys can give me! Thank you!

·
Ace Tuner
3,555 Posts
There is a way to turn the engine over, or try to turn it over, by hand at the crankshaft. How that is done depends on which Shadow you have.

S F

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
615 Posts
Get a buddy.
Go to the nearest paved hill.
Try pushing it down the hill as fast as u guys can, in neutral.
Clutch in, upshift into 2nd, pop the clutch.

Or pull the motor and knock it down.

·
Nightfly
4,603 Posts
Get a buddy.
Go to the nearest paved hill.
Try pushing it down the hill as fast as u guys can, in neutral.
Clutch in, upshift into 2nd, pop the clutch.

Or pull the motor and knock it down.
Easiest way I know of. If it rolls in neutral but the back tire slides when put in gear and the clutch out, it's obviously seized. That could be very serious or it could just be rust from not being run in a very long time. I fail to see why you bought a non running bike, knowing it could require a lot of money to fix as opposed to an operational bike that you could have gotten cheap.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
You can also put it on the center stand, put it in gear and try and turn the back wheel. I suggest you remove the spark plugs and pour some oil in each cylinder.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
as opposed to an operational bike that you could have gotten cheap
So isn't that the same thing you just chastised another member for using cheap as something that breaks versus inexpensive? Consistency in the English language is hard to do with so many variables.

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
You can also put it on the center stand, put it in gear and try and turn the back wheel. I suggest you remove the spark plugs and pour some oil in each cylinder.

UK
And put in third gear if possible. Second might not work as easy on some bikes. Even a higher gear might help. But not first unless you are a real brute.:) :) :)

·
Nightfly
4,603 Posts
So isn't that the same thing you just chastised another member for using cheap as something that breaks versus inexpensive? Consistency in the English language is hard to do with so many variables.
It was readily apparent he understood the word cheap better than inexpensive. Besides in his case it may be the better word. It would be best if it broke down right away rather than leave him the inexpensive chore of putting together yard sale parts to fix his cheap bike.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
My thinking is, even if you get an older fine running bike, the dumb things will still fail to proceed when you least expect it.
Or for that matter, a bike you bought new, with 25,000 miles on it, can have problems.
BUT: I bought as a spare parts bike, a 1980 XS1100 for $200. It ran 4 years ago, and I know I can get it running with not too much work.
The main thing I was after was the 4 into 1 pipes. The oil cooler and fork brace were a bonus.

UK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts