Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously "fog" interferes somewhat with seeing and being seen, depending on how thick it is.

This morning there is "fog" but not THICK soupy stuff, so it's not about the danger of it all.

I'm just wondering about the condensation on the bike that the fog brings. Not good for the chrome (leaves droplet stains behind)?

Makes me want to NOT take the bike to work, and wait til the Noon hour.

Haven't noticed any mechanical or electrical "performance" issues however, when I HAVE chosen to ride in the fog in the past.

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
18,936 Posts
I hit fog almost every morning when I lived in California. I bought a highly reflective vest. Truck drivers on their CB said they could see the vest WAY before they saw my running lights. It sold me on those vests. As far as moisture goes, I carried a dry towel and just wiped the bike off once I got to work. Occasionally the fog would be so thick it did no good so would wait until it lifted to run out and wipe it off. Never had any electrical issues that I could say was fog or moisture related.

But then I never kept one of those bikes more than 3 years as they would already be in the 60k+ miles so traded them for new back then. It really would not surprise me if those bikes had electrical contact issues later in their life. I just never saw it. I'm thinking brake, directional contacts and safety switch. Corrosion is bound to have been a problem at some point I think.

·
6,572 Posts
Visibility differs widely with fog from barely FROGGY to zero visibility, so use your head when riding or driving. Visibility from a high semi-truck is much better but sometimes it causes them to not slow down enough and they cause accidents---just like when there is bad visibility when a brush fire or dust storm is blocking vision! Do people slow down??? Some but not all and therein is the problem: Other people that you as a rider have no control over.

We get fog here in Farm country and I'm very careful because of OLD tractors and equipment that doesn't have tail or marker lights although most have headlights. Some of this stuff covers the entire road, so even in good conditions it's dangerous.

The effects of fog on a bike are negligible unless near the coasts.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
304 Posts
It affected me yesterday morning. I had to ride with my shield up and the shades still fogged up on me. I actually have some shield fog stuff that I picked up at a motorcycle show. I can't remember the brand name right now. It works pretty well though. I even use it in my bathroom. The only issue is I forget to put it on the shield before I ride and I'm already on my way to work on the bike when it starts fogging up on me :frown::frown:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Worse thing i find in fog is keeping my visor clear......
I use RainX too.....
For some reason RainX does not work on face shields like it does on windshields.
Long ago I learned to not put rainX on my motorcycle windshield.......the water came off just like it should, however being a little heavier than air the water came off in a steady stream directly into my eyes. The windshield I had was more like a wind screen, I've never tried it on larger windshield.

Of course you're not supposed to put rainX on plastic stuff........maybe thats why it doesn't work on a face shield.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Agree with Eye-M ... those big Mutts that live in the moors at night, they're a real problem !! Hahahaha!

ONE extra problem with fog. The road surface is damp. BE EXTRA careful, it is a lot easier to lose traction with that front tire when you are braking. You can pancake the front wheel and do a LOW-SIDE before you know it!!

dT

·
Premium Member
6,700 Posts
Radar

"Radar?" Do you mean "GPS?"

Garmin!!

-Soupy
I mean radar. Have a GPS chart plotter. Have AIS. That tells me where other boats are, as long as they are beaming out a signal. Most of the small boats do not. So I know exactly where I am, but not if there is a non AIS signalling boat right in front of me. I know the speed I am going through the water, and speed over the bottom. I know the depth and water temperature, and if there are any fish between me and the bottom. I can contact any big commercial boats, or ferries or tugs by VHF radio. I can do all this while listening to music, drinking a beer, while Audrey auto pilot steers. But I can not see anything. Radar will fix that. Gonna cost about $3000- and there goes the Vespa money.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
336 Posts
I hate fog,got into some in the hills in Nebraska one time so thick I couldn't see 5 feet in front of me.Scared the $&@/ out of me not knowing if some dumbass was gonna come haulin ass on me because I was crawling.Did I mention I hate fog!

·
American Legion Rider
18,936 Posts
Out in the sticks I've been known to get out and walk as my wife drove so I could see the side of the road. That's some thick stuff. Lights off and just using a flashlight. And LISTENING for traffic. Spooky stuff!!! One of those low lying areas that you drive into and go oh #@&T.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts