Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I remember correctly, you have to get a learner's permit for motorcycles just like you do with cars. If this is the case, I was wondering how you get your practice hours that you need to get your actual license, seeing as most motorcycles only fit one person.

Thanks

·
Exorcising My Angels
655 Posts
Check your DMV rules. In NY, a learner has to be within 1/4 mile of their "instructor"/supervising rider at all times, but they can be on different bikes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang, this is kind of what I was expecting. The only person I know that has a bike is this lady that lives next to me, but I barely know her.

·
Exorcising My Angels
655 Posts
I'm in kind of the same boat. I'm just going to get my permit and then take the course, and then spend the first week of having my license just practicing around my neighborhood, which has pretty much no traffic.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Don't do what one local (with just the learners permit) did last weekend and try to ride with a passenger. It's not legal here AND he got into an accident. Three were injured and had to take a very expensive taxi ride to the local hospital. Their weekend was ruined and all of them have a painful recovery process ahead of them. Plus, Mr. I Can Handle a Passenger likely lost his license.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
In Illinois you have to be under the supervision of a licensed motorcycle rider. I don't think the law here states they can't be on the same bike, but that seems way dangerous to me.

·
Registered
272 Posts
In CT, you can ride alone between dawn and dusk as long as you stay off of limited access highways.

·
Registered
213 Posts
In OH, you take a written test to get a learner's permit. Once you have the learner's permit, you have riding privileges during daylight hours WITH a helmet on SURFACE streets only and with no passengers. Learner's permit is good for one year, by which point you must take a riding (obstacle) test. Upon passing the riding test, you get endorsed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts