Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you get leather gear, be it chaps or jackets, do you get it to fit tight or loose? I go with tight because I don't care for my jacket blowing up with the front vents open. I also don't want things sliding up on my body if it's sliding down the asphalt. I see a lot of people with loose fitting vests and jackets and wonder what kind of protection it will give them should they need it. I always buy a little large and grow into it, seems that has been they way it works anyway.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Have found have to be careful with Different Brands as some fit either smaller or tighter when compare them up .. I fit mine to wear that they have enough to Layer some .. Leather with a layer or two underneath does not keep you very warm ..

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I bought mine just a little loose to be able to wear some layers under it. Over the last 30 years or so though the jacket and chaps have shrunk and tightened up so it's no longer possible to layer. :)

(It was another reason to move to Florida.)

·
Premium Member
8,960 Posts
Leather

My chaps get worn over jeans, so that is how I fit them.
My leather pants would go over jeans with or without long johns, or thicker wool pants, so that is how I fit them.
Both a comfortable fit so I can bend my knees.
My leather jacket is for summer riding, but with just enough room for a light sweatshirt.
My motocross pants from the seventies shrunk in the closet just like the other folks.
My one piece Lewis Leathers from London England, with the Mickey Mouse patch, were stolen by some arse hole, who I would like to pound on with a large tyre iron. They were custom fitted, just like Agostino's who was there the day before me. Mine were all black, his were black on the bottom, red on top.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
I buy my jackets so that they fit snug with a shirt under (with the armor in the jacket) and snug with a heavy hoodie (with the armor removed.)

Speaking of armor... I need to consider putting mine back in my jacket soon

·
Registered
886 Posts
I guess the answer depends on if you are a supermodel or have a super sized gut. Supermodel: the tighter the better, super sized gut: size to allow one more beer or cheeseburger.

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
I typically get mine a size bigger, Yes tighter and form fitting does look better, but I like a size bigger so when it gets cold I can layer up with a thermal, t shirt, sweater, and the leather on top.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Ditto on the purchasing of riding clothes a "size big." I prefer the option of adding more layers if needed, with the exception of chaps. Generally speaking, my legs don't gain as much girth as my waist and upper body, so I can pretty much buy "just the right size" for "chaps.

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Which kind of brings up the next logical question: How much leather do you buy?

I bought one leather motorcycle jacket almost 30 years ago when someone stole my jeans jacket. It's a knock-off of a Schott, but it has lasted just fine. I've had one set of chaps for, I'd guess, maybe 15 years? Other then gloves, which I go through every 5 years or so, that's all the designated bike leather I've ever bought. (I'm not counting other stuff that just happenes to get worn on the bike now and then.)

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Valid point, "Eye_"

The most logical replacement items that typically NEED replacing, are the boots, and gloves, and perhaps a visor or two.

I suppose I should include goggles and helmets in that list of likely repeatable buys as well.

Jackets & Chaps however, should last a LONG time, (unless you have a major accident and tear the heck outa them!!)

-Soupy

·
8,606 Posts
Go to a large Harley dealer and they will have all sizes of quality leather jackets, chaps, gloves and boots. If you choose wisely, the quality is so good it will more than likely last the rest of your life.:biggrin:

Contrary to what you skinny guy's may think, you will eventually grow---if you live long enough and eat well:wink:

My HD leather jacket has lots of adjustability built in to allow it to be loose or tight and the same with the chaps. I bet my jacket alone took 2 BEEVES worth of hides to make and it must weigh 50 lbs. It also cost me over $500 when new in 1991:p

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am currently looking for a leather jacket. However the gut versus chest size presents a problem. If I get one based on chest size the gut does not fit, if base on gut I swim in the rest of the jacket.

I really need to lose weight.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I can't honestly say I always buy oversize leather. I only bought one. A Sears & Roebuck leather jacket back in 1969. Still use it and it has served it's purpose more than once, unfortunately. The leather is getting a little stiff, but I have always cleaned it and oiled it with Mink oil. Think I paid a hundred bucks for it.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have gone through zippers on leather chaps and coats. I have found that it's just about the same price to buy new as it is to have stuff repaired. Old Chaps make great saddlebag liners too, gives everything a cushion when on the common bomb crater roads around here.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Yeah, I never buy leather mail order, etc. Gotta try it on. I've ended up with mail-order chaps that fit my waist but won't zip over my cyclist (read: huge) thighs.

Course when you buy leather at thrift stores for .10 on the dollar, a pair or two that doesn't fit...make great gifts to noobs.

Moses Leather in Grand Junction Colorado is THE place if you're anywhere near. Every brand, including the superb Italian and Euro stuff, ridiculously good prices. Good stuff, great owners, ....can't say enough. NEAR the HD dealership.

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
Go to a large Harley dealer and they will have all sizes of quality leather jackets, chaps, gloves and boots. If you choose wisely, the quality is so good it will more than likely last the rest of your life.:biggrin:

Contrary to what you skinny guy's may think, you will eventually grow---if you live long enough and eat well:wink:

My HD leather jacket has lots of adjustability built in to allow it to be loose or tight and the same with the chaps. I bet my jacket alone took 2 BEEVES worth of hides to make and it must weigh 50 lbs. It also cost me over $500 when new in 1991:p

Sam:coffeescreen:
500 brand new in 91? Considering we are in 2015 and their jackets are more or less the same price id say thats not bad.

I have a HD leather that I love, but when I bought it it was form fitting and looked great. Lets say uh....it somehow shrunk.... so I dont wear it much anymore:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
agree with Eye-M ...

I always get the coat ONE size larger.
Pretty much always, I wind up getting frozen on the bike
when the weather chills out. So I always need extra layers
UNDER the coat.

Everything else fits perfectly - gloves, boots (especially), and
leather pants (when I wear them). There's just enough room
inside my gloves that I can put on a thin pair of liners on my
hands if the weather is freezing.

dT

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I have to admit that I'm a jacket whore. I currently have 5, but one has been relegated to just a casual leather jacket, took the armor out. Since I have so many I buy them to be snug over what I'm wearing for that type season/jacket. the one I like the most is my mesh textile since it's just way better to ride in weather warm enough to wear a mesh jacket. It's fitted for just a t-shirt under it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts