Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello every one
Couple of years ago tire beads where pretty popular and I was told by many bikers and some mechanics that beads were better choice because of various reasons.
No some years later I read more people prefer the old fashione balancing method which is using stick-on weights. What method you like to use to balance your motorcycle tires, beads or weights and pros and cons in your opinion...?
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us..?
Thomas

·
American Legion Rider
25,902 Posts
Ride-On, it balances and gives an area of puncture resistance. Is it better or worse than beads or weights? Some don't think so and some do. One person on this site claimed to have "tested" weights versus Ride-On. I pointed out holes in the test but that person was happy with his results anyway. I'm happy with Ride-On. So there probably isn't one perfect way although I feel Ride-On comes closer to that goal.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
After doing a good bit of reading about the balance beads, I decided to stick with weights. Opinions on the balance beads seemed split almost 50/50 and that isn't strong enough support (for me, anyway) to move away from a tried and true method, i.e. weights. This Ride-On that hog mentions does look intriguing...

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Wheel weights make more sense to me as a sport bike rider.

AMA Pro Racing rules book specifies "balancing wheel weights must be located in a single radial position for the sole purpose of legitimate static wheel balancing". Here's a link - look for section 5.9f on page 69.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
The only way to know what works is to try them. I've used weights for ever. Mostly because I've paid others to mount and balance for me and that's what they did. But I recently bought a No-Mar tire changer, and decided to give beads a try since it requires no extra equipment. If it does not work the way I like, I'll add a balancer to my garage, too.

Initial, un-scientific seat of the pants testing tells me I have no extra vibrations or other negative negative effects. The tire I mounted is the same model and size it replaced. I'll compare wear and mileage between the two and make my decision then.

·
Premium Member
9,830 Posts
I used to wrap solder around the spokes. Fast forward to wheel weights. The XS11 has balance beads in the front as a test.
Yami has the side car on at the moment, and has not gone past about 75mph. One day with the side car removed I will run him a bit faster. I only use weights on the sport bike.

UK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts