Motorcycle Forum banner

How do you know your in the powerband?

13K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Hogrider 
#1 ·
I hear a lot of people saying that once you hit the "powerband" you can really start to feel the power/acceleration of the bike. Does anyone know around what RPM the "powerband" is found at (I have a gs500 with 11rpm redline).

I can not break 5,500 RPM for the first 500 miles, but I am just wondering when I shoudl expect to feel it and truely how powerful it really is?

Sorry for the newb question :( never had a quad/dirtbike/anything before this

#2 ·
Every bike is different. The powerband is the range of RPM where the engine will make peak horsepower. It's usually toward the high range near the redline. Generally, you won't feel a huge boost all at once when you get in that range. It's more like a steady increase in horsepower as you approach and enter it.

#3 ·
This, as Dods has said, is different for which bike however, it is very similar based on the type of engine being tested. The twins tend to be very linear in there power delivery where the I4 tends to be very dependent on RPM. In terms relative to horsepower all internal combustion engines will have horsepower output equal torque output at 5,252 rpm. Now, I have spent enough time with dynos to tell you it will very by a slight margin but not much.

In the simplest of terms, the power band is the RPM range you want to be at when you have the need for speed. This is where you want to be when it is time to get the hell out of there. In effect it becomes the seat of the pants dyno.

In reality the powerband is that RPM range where the engine begins to make peak torque and it ends when that same engine has peak horsepower fall off which in most cases is before you ever hit the redline. As it turns out the peak torque on the GS500 is at 7,000rpm while the peak horsepower is at 8,500rpm. Give a range of 6,000 to 9,500rpm and you should have a great baseline for where that engine has a working load range. This isn't to say it won't do well outside this range, only to say this will be to most efficient place to be when in time of need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.