Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, just for a change of pace, I took my windscreen off my bike. At low speeds, say up to about 45 mph it was just as I recall, a great feeling of air flowing over me, offsetting the heat and humidity (the airflow did tend to pull my helmet back, but when I went helmetless it was fine). But then I got on the highway and was going about 75 mph and it was no fun. I felt like a sail catching the wind, and it certainly would not have been fun for a long ride.

I know that sportbikes keep the rider in a front leaning position, and that at speed the wind pressure offsets the pressure of leaning on your wrists. But on a cruiser like my Triumph Thunderbird, the wind pressure at speed is a real problem (in my opinion). But I see guys on cruisers without screens all the time on the Interstate and wonder how they tolerate it. Maybe some of them have never had a windscreen and so just don't know any better. Or maybe the lack of a screen is why I see so many cruisers, especially of a certain brand, parked in front of the local tavern rather than out on the road.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Or maybe the lack of a screen is why I see so many cruisers, especially of a certain brand, parked in front of the local tavern rather than out on the road.
I wouldn't ride without a windshield anymore either, but I think it might have more to do with age. When we're young we're impervious to most everything... at least we think we are.;)

Back in the day, I rode most of the winter to work. Always said the best thing about riding in the cold is how good it felt when you stopped. :p

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
You just get used to riding with a windscreen. For most of my life I didn't have one but now I really enjoy it on long trips, and even around town. (Going to the local bar.) I can still roll on without one, but it takes me a few miles to get used to not having one at highway speeds again, and also you have to be in the right kind of shape to stand up to long miles without one. Neck muscles in particular.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I see so many cruisers, especially of a certain brand, parked in front of the local tavern rather than out on the road.
They're having fun and socializing with other Bikers. It's what some of us do when we're not out on the highway riding. It keeps us from turning into cranky, grumpy old men, (with weak pencil-necks,) who waste too much time worrying about what other people on other brands are doing with their time. I'd say, "You should you try it!" but I've invited you like three freaking times, even offered to buy you dinner, and you haven't shown up yet.:biggrin:

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Back in the day my Sabre didn't have a windshield and I didn't know any different. The fastest l have ever been was on that bike. Then l got the banana and l thought, "Whoa!I had no idea the road could be so smooth!"

·
Registered
187 Posts
You just get used to it. On a long ride (>70 miles), I'll throw a roll bag on the handlebars. That keeps my chest and shoulders from getting fatigued by the wind.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Wearing a half-shell I can certainly feel the difference between 60 and 65, with the windshield I can go pretty much as fast as I want.

An open-face, open-face with face shield, or full face can go without windshield. The half shell just catches too much air.

Most of the people I see without a windshield also are without a helmet......thus they don't have any problem of helmet catching air.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really have nothing against folks who spend a great deal of time in a bar. I just laugh a bit at those who seem really into the "biker" look, and of course ride American iron, but probably put less than 500 miles a year on their bike because its main use is go the mile or two from home to the local watering hole. Had a close friend who did exactly that when I lived in Milwaukee in the 1990's. He loved the image and concept of riding, but admitted that actual riding made him nervous. I was an MSF instructor in those days and offered to give him a private class, absolutely free, but he declined. And by the way, he didn't use or need a windscreen!

·
Registered
427 Posts
but probably put less than 500 miles a year on their bike because its main use is go the mile or two from home to the local watering hole. Had a close friend who did exactly that when I lived in Milwaukee in the 1990's. He loved the image and concept of riding, but admitted that actual riding made him nervous.
Inexperience mixed with intoxication, brilliant riding career move. Methinks your friend needs more than an MSF course to help him out. ;)

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Same here. I really enjoy the lack of a shield when cruising around at a slow to moderate pace. But on the highway, or anything above 45mph really, it gets tiresome after a short while. In the spring my wife and I are getting a touring bike. We've test rode many, and extensively rode the model we decided we will buy (Roadmaster). Cruising down the highway is great. So comfortable. And my arms and back muscles don't get sore from fighting the wind with my arms. I do miss the wind on a slow leisurely ride. But the electrically adjustable windshield helps some. And I still have my other, windshield-less bikes for when I feel nostalgic.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I went for the first time on the highway (with a buddy) with no windscreen, a 3/4 open helmet and some sunglasses. I only got up to about 50-55mph but for those 10 minutes or so I was okay with it and didn't see what the big deal was. Perhaps if I went out longer it would've caught up with me, I don't know, I'll have to experiment some more with it and find out what my tolerances are.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
For the longest time, I went without a windshield... what prompted me to get one? Bugs! Now that I have a good one, I DO NOT wanna ever give it up. Not only does it protect me from getting hit by little bits of flying protein, but also prevents me from getting fatigued so quickly, and is generally comfortable to be behind.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
My bike has a cruiser type riding position and I prefer riding it without the windscreen unless it gets below 45 degrees, whether I wear a half, 3/4 or a full face mod helmet. I think a lot of it may have something to do with upper body/neck strength.
Riding the bike with the windscreen on a warm day always makes me wish I took the convertible instead. When it gets above 90 degrees, its easier to turn the AC on in the roadster to get a breeze then it is to take the windscreen off the bike. ;)

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
You just get used to it. On a long ride (>70 miles), I'll throw a roll bag on the handlebars. That keeps my chest and shoulders from getting fatigued by the wind.
More than 70 miles is a "long ride?":p

I rode for years without a windshield. Then I got a quick-detach just to use for multi-day tours...which hasn't been off the bike since, except for detailing and winter storage.
I think we get spoiled by them and just don't go back to eating bugs..

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
I think you'll find in general, those that have a windshield ride many more miles at higher speeds than those without. In general. That's not to say there are the few that do. There's always the exceptions. But higher speed and more miles call for a wind break.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
When I was a kid riding with no windshield, I never even noticed the wind... I rode all the way from New Orleans to New York without one and it got cold near the end... Along the way I got her up to well over 100 mph and it felt great... I think you just get used to it....

Now, returning to riding many years later, the wind can get unnerving on the highway but all in all it's still a blast, I just need more time at speed...

I have a small fairing I am thinking about putting on... Not sure how much different the wind would be with the small sized windshield ...

·
8,579 Posts
Vito, you asked a valid question about windshields/ screens but by adding a typical 'Harley bashing' scenario to it, you caused your subject to be about a perceived group of people versus 'Others,' who in your opinion just can't be real motorcyclist because they don't ride a million miles a year on a REAL MOTORCYCLE (Non Harley) or they wouldn't be parked.

Statistically, there aren't enough Triumphs on the road to quantify this but here goes, since you have me examining my behavior to see if I'm even a true biker even after 53 years of riding every type and make of bike, with a total of 79 of the toys!

I stopped at a Doughnut café yesterday for a few treats and a couple of cups of coffee. Maybe I'm a poseur to some because my Rocket 3 was parked and not rolling down the road?

On so many of the Goldwing forums one would assume that each owner owned stock in Dairy Queen because that's where I see so many parked.

BMW riders typically will stop at a Starbucks only if there are people there who can appreciate them. They also like to stare at themselves in the plate glass windows.

Squids and crotchrocket riders are usually only stopped at gas stations and can be seen consuming lots of bottled water.

UJM riders probably don't want to be seen much so they take side roads and rarely stop.

Scooter riders don't care what anyone thinks so they stop at fine restaurants and enjoy the cuisine.

Now Harley riders are a social species that realize that there is much more to life than just riding their machines and they enjoy the company of others. To them it isn't how MUCH you do it but HOW you do it:biggrin:

Now to your original question: I prefer a windshield. My new Triumph has a very small stylish screen that does keep a portion of the wind off my chest but that's it. It also directs every large bug within a 100 yard area right into my chest or neck, which is delightful:frown:

A full face helmet goes a long way on these non-faired bikes and makes them tolerable, at least to me. I rode 185 miles yesterday, about half Interstate at 70 mph and was never bothered by not having a larger screen.

A lot depends on what you are used to--ya don't miss it if ya never had it.

Take care!

Sam:71baldboy: (Sam on his last 2005 Sportster)

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I didn't get far enough in Vito's original post to see the Harley dig before I started scrolling through the responses. I was thinking "what is porky talking about" so I had to reread it. :rolleyes:

I ordered a small windscreen for my naked bike, one that blends in well so it doesn't look like a supersport missing its side fairings. I definitely need something for my hour commute if I want to go above 65. I currently find myself sitting way back on the seat and leaning forward to fight it.

·
Super Moderator
565 Posts
I've become spoiled by the luxury of a windscreen. Didn't take long, either. After almost four years of riding a bike that didn't have one I just accepted the way things were when I was on the interstate at 70+mph. Just got used to leaning into the wind a little bit.

Now that I have a windscreen I don't think I'd ever go back to not having one (after getting it adjusted properly to get rid of buffeting). For me, it just makes for a more comfortable ride and it doesn't matter if I'm going 30 miles or 400.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts