Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do we get the roads fixed?

Most of you know I commute a LOT, whether from Colorado to Alabama, down to Phoenix, got a new GF in Albuquerque now and I spend a LOT of time on the road, whether riding or caging.

The roads --- talking Interstates, are just a freakin' disaster. I counted over 100 patches in less than a half mile of road on I-40 between Grants and Gallup.

Last year in Little Rock I saw 3-4 cars pulled over, and an 18 wheeler, with busted tires, wheels, axles from the pothole that ate Monica Lewinsky. Only by the grace of God / pure luck did I miss it.

Roadways that used to get repaved are now deemed "acceptable" because of so many people (IMHO) driving ginormous SUV's and trucks with truck sized tires/wheels that can go OVER potholes, etc. without blowing, knocking the suspension out of alignment, etc. Those of us who drive midget cars (read: high mpg) with 14" tires/wheels take it in the wallet!

Americans are paying an ever larger (total) amount in gas taxes, which go to the Federal Government for distribution to the states for highway repair, and fewer and fewer miles of highway are actually getting repaved!

Anyone who's been around the block a few times (older than 40) knows damn well that kickbacks and graft and corruption in road repair contracts has ALWAYS been local politicians #1 source of illicit income...

Rather doubt on THIS conservative leaning forum I could get anyone to agree to an extra .25 a gallon DEDICATED 100% to roadway repairs...

"Since they can't be effective/efficient with what we give them NOT why would we give them more" seems to be the small government mantra....so you pay less taxes, and spend More getting yer damn car re-aligned, buying tires.... as well as peeing in Gatorade jugs since they closed the friggin' rest stops"

There! I brought conservative/liberal politics into a MC thread. Everyone happy now? Can we skip that angle and JUST focus on how crappy the roads are and what needs to happen to get 'em fixed?

Or is the future 100% Toll Roads? Get the gubbmit out of the roads biz, IN YER OPINION.

It only took me 40 minutes of @#$ing around with my Iphone to pay the toll on the Orange County tollway because THEY DONT HAVE OR STAFF TOLLBOOTHS! Jesus Christ ina Chicken basket, they won't even take cash anymore!

A few years ago a pothole in Durango in the Post Office Drive through busted the BATTERY in my (then) Subaru I hit it so hard. It was snow/icy and I simply could not avoid it in the time I had after seeing it, slid right into it. And both the Post office and @#$$ city claimed it was on the other's property after it claimed innumerable tires, alignments, etc. Because a "hot topic" on the front page of the local paper.

I seriously considered, middle of winter, going out there myself with a bag of concrete, 100 gallons of boiling hot water, some rebar, and orange cones .. and teaching myself pothole repair technique.

Here in Phoenix we've got some flyovers, in particular from 101 Southbound to I-10 Eastbound, with some joints? attachment points? that will literally put a car going 10mph too fast airborne. The concrete retaining wall is COVERED in scars from cars that "launched". I can only IMAGINE the total $ of the hospital bills and repair bills and auto replacement caused by this... And traffic speed is such that darn near EVERYONE is put at risk by these "expansion joints" .... after very nearly "losing it" in my pickup truck over them I invested in new shocks all way round.... even KNOWING it was there, and slowing!

On my motorcycle I simply have to slow the hell down on that flyover and tolerate cars/trucks riding RIGHT UP MY ASS as I hit these wicked bumps at 10mph BELOW what traffic wants to do.

Yeah, so the cities/municpalities tell us about how the price of some butylene?, some oil-produced substance that goes in asphalt has gone to the moon, and the cost of repaving has skyrocketed, but... gee, in the 1960's taxes were able to pay for road repairs, as well as NEW CONSTRUCTION.

I just hate watching America become a 3rd world country. I feel so bad for the truckers who have to deal with sh(tty roads, mile after mile, day after day, with no hope of EVER riding on more than about a 50 mile stretch of fresh asphalt once in awhile.

In fact, fresh asphalt has become so rare that I've thought about how those "greatest roads" type websites could HIGHLIGHT freshly paved roads for riders/drivers like myself who really and truly love tearing up some fresh tarmac more than p8u*ssy.... well, almost.

Cheers!

·
American Legion Rider
21,841 Posts
Sorry wade but I've been saying for years that taxes need to go up. Cut Congressional wages and bingo. How people can think that taxes can be cut and continue having the things you've become accustom to is beyond me. I'd like a full and complete audit of our tax dollars myself. I suspect most of it isn't going where it is supposed to.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
^^^^^Ding Ding Ding

Our government has proven they can't manage money. They have no trouble putting it in their pockets, taking vacations on it, paying for their premium health insurance and giving it away. That is why I say we need more business minded people and less attorneys in our government.

·
Registered
886 Posts
This is not about roads but it is about tax money and where it goes. About twenty years ago or so Maryland raised the tax on cigarettes with the promise that the money would go to the schools, sure enough newspapers followed the money several months later and found it went anywhere but the schools.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sure enough newspapers followed the money several months later and found it went anywhere but the schools.
And yet Conservatives unanimously condemn and despise "The Liberal Press...."

I'd just like to know where the @#$ people think America would be WITHOUT the press to expose Watergate, the bombing of Cambodia, to put pictures of Kent State and Selma on the cover/evening news, etc.

You think a liberal press is bad, TRY AND IMAGINE AMERICA WITHOUT ONE!

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
This is much faster and easier than trying to get Chicago Streets and Sans out to fill a pothole. Fourteen dollars a bag at Lowes. Speaking from experience, three bags will fill a good size pothole. ;)

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
So, we have an inefficient and sometimes corrupt system that can't handle the revenue and responsibilities they have now, so you want to throw even more money at them in hopes they'll all of a sudden become competent?

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
The current liberal press is as corrupt as the government. What we need is an HONEST unbiased press.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Start driving off-road vehicles. When they said "shovel ready" what they meant was there's so much BS you'll need a shovel!

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
The current liberal press is as corrupt as the government. What we need is an HONEST unbiased press.
They wouldn't get the ratings to survive. Look at the biggest media outlets. They are the most biased, and the most watched. People get the news they support.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,135 Posts
So, we have an inefficient and sometimes corrupt system that can't handle the revenue and responsibilities they have now, so you want to throw even more money at them in hopes they'll all of a sudden become competent?

Metaldoc said:
The current liberal press is as corrupt as th e government. What we need is an HONEST unbiased press.
The bay bridge here has been a toll bridge since it was built in 1952. It was supposed to be paid for by the tolls in ten years. 1973 they added a second span. We are still paying to cross the bay, more every year. So Wade tolls aren't the answer even if every new road MD opens is a toll road. We need competent governments AND unbiased press that is willing to report the news and not try and make it

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
^ Our problem is that OweMalley combined all the tolls to one big account, and that pays for all the toll related roads, so bay bridge tolls also pay for the ICC.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The Kent State photo was staged. Funny you used 50 year old photos. maybe you should have used some from Benghazi or the IRS scandal.

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
And, as I recall, the Vietnam photo is of US troops HELPING victims of a napalm attack by SOUTH VIETMANMESE aircraft.

And yes, there was a time when the news was just that, NEWS. Now it is all political spin on current events. Both sides are to blame on that front.

And if the Gov't wasn't spending most of it's budget on useless wars and government handouts, we could probably lay some tarmac or fix our other infrastructure problems.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Instead of just reporting our current media is all about hyping things up for ratings. If it means they have to exaggerate things to add suspense to keep you glued to the TV so be it. Hmmm, didn't Brian Williams do that? Oh wait, Hillary did too and she's not a member of media.

What a mess. Do they really believe they are NOT going to get caught in their lies? Or have they gotten so used to lying they don't care?

·
Premium Member
7,872 Posts
Taxes

The Vietnamese girl in your photo moved to Canada.
The US Feds and many states, are statistically broke, and many pension plans are under funded.
US corporate taxes are the highest in the world.
Brace yourselves for tough times.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 20 of 27 Posts