Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new member. My name is Mohammed and I'm from Iran.

I am currently working on a Honda Cbr 1000 2008 and the speed is locked at 180 km/h. The ECU is japanese and when I replace it with an american one, the speed lock is no longer there. What I would like to know is whether it is possible to remove the speed lock without having to replace the ECU.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Hi Mohammed. I'm a bit rusty on my conversion from KPH to MPH, but here's what I do know: No motorcycle manufactured in 2001 and newer is allowed to be imported to the United States if it can exceed 186mph. This is why many Hayabusa lovers want the pre 2001 model. It is capable of over 200 mph. I don't know if the japanese market CBR1000 is limited to less then 186mph, but what I do know is that no CBR 1000 can even reach 186mph even if it wasn't limited by a speed lock. The specs for a 2008 CBR 1000RR list a top speed of 286km/h = 178mph. So you see, the bike simply isn't made to reach 186mph, much less exceed it. What I don't understand is why yours tops out at only 180 km/h? The American version tops out at 286 km/h. Perhaps the RR's that use the Japanese ECU are limited to a lower speed then the American version?

There aren't too many stock production bikes capable of exceeding 186mph. The ones that are capable can be unlimited (unlocked) by installing a European ECU. Oh... and if you come across people telling you to unhook the speed sensor that feeds the speedometer, don't bother... that's not exactly how the ECU knows how fast you are riding. The ECU does get a signal from the speedo, but it also monitors the gearbox position, rpms and throttle position.

Hope this helps you Mohammed!!

Jack

·
Premium Member
6,536 Posts

160K is about 100mph and 180 is about 112. So not very fast for a 1000cc bike, as in 3 or 4th gear at high revs.
Even Mrs Snippets has been faster than 180K on the back of my Suzuki.
But 180 mph is fast, and only attainable by the high horsepower sport bikes.
And I do not know if the smart guys can reconfigure the ECUs to break the top speed restriction.
You may have to contact one of the tune up shops for info.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
160K is about 100mph and 180 is about 112. So not very fast for a 1000cc bike, as in 3 or 4th gear at high revs.
Even Mrs Snippets has been faster than 180K on the back of my Suzuki.
But 180 mph is fast, and only attainable by the high horsepower sport bikes.
And I do not know if the smart guys can reconfigure the ECUs to break the top speed restriction.
You may have to contact one of the tune up shops for info.

Unkle Crusty*
Actually Unkle... There is a way to fool the ECU. But it only works on a bike that is capable of going faster than 186mph. The 1000RR can't do it. We're looking at bikes like the 'Busa or the ZX14... The're not many others capable.

·
Premium Member
6,536 Posts
Capable

My Suzuki needs a few more horses and a better fairing, to get up that high.
A friend from Vancouver BC just did a little over 200 on a 69 Triumph Trident.
It is over 1000 cc for the the 200 plus runs, but still on push rods, and I think, pump gas. Almost fully faired as well.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 5 of 5 Posts