Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to lower the seat height on a 1975 Suzuki TS185 because its way too high and when balancing the bike upright at a stop my feet barely touch the ground and im afraid one day it will lean from an air blast and i wont be able to keep it from falling over (im only 5'5 114lbs). Anyways im looking at an original 1975 brochure (i dont have a manual) and it says the front forks are telescopic oil dampened 3-way adjustable and the rear shocks are oil dampened 5 way adjustable.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Not a lot of options there, short of using shorter springs/shocks. That would reduce fender clearance, which is an issue when you ride off-road.
You can scrape some of the padding off the seat, I guess.
If you're really ambitious, smaller rims would work, too, if you can find them with the same spoke count and placement.
The adjustments set things like damping factor and spring pre-load (in the rear). Since that last one affects ride height, you can set it down some; at your weight, you probably should, anyway. On each shock, there is a stepped ring for setting this; just turn it until it is on a lower step.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Personal opinion and the method I used on my KLX650 (34" seat height +100 lb on your 185 and I'm 5'6") is get used to it. It won't bother you eventually.

From there, lower the forks an inch or till they hit the bars. Maybe cut an inch or so out of the seat padding and recover it with the old cover.

But I'd just get used to it. I'm so used to toes only on the ground that it bothered me when I could go flat footed with bent knees on the 550. I actually raised it up a few inches, mainly to alter the handling, but also for the side benefit of height. I could have dropped the forks to quicken handling, but I preferred raising the rear end. I still can flat foot, but could care less.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.