Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to strip chrome? I want to get the chrome off and get parts down to bare metal so I can do my own finish/coating.

·
Shantytown Mayor
4,705 Posts
No need to remove the chrome. Sand the chrome with 220 grit paper then follow with 400 grit wet paper (to smooth any sanding marks). Spray with etching primer (you can skip this part if you want to save a buck but I won't paint over chrome with out doing this, I'm paranoid) . Etching primer "grips" into the metal due to it "etching" the metal where regualr primer doesn't do that and has a tendancy to peel on chromed surface. Most auto parts stores have etching primer in rattle cans, it's a little more expensive than regular primer but I'd rather have piece of mind the paint won't peel than to save a buck or 2. Then use what ever primer/sealer you want to use to smooth and seal the etching primer and then paint.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to get it down to bare metal for a custom non paint based finish

·
Registered
58 Posts
What are your plans? I just sanded my front forks and some engine parts. Cleared over the sanded alluminum to give it a "brushed" metal look. I like it that way... shiny, but not polished.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are your plans? I just sanded my front forks and some engine parts. Cleared over the sanded alluminum to give it a "brushed" metal look. I like it that way... shiny, but not polished.
I'm hoping to get the polished and/or chrome parts down to bare metal and then do color case hardening, or bluing

·
Registered
608 Posts
You can take it to your local chrome-Bumper shop and they will dip it in a acid
bath and strip it for you. They can polish it also if you want to spend that much. This is what they do before re chroming.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Dont do it yourself. The leftovers are considered hazardous materials, and you can be fined INSANELY, for not disposing of it properly.

Get a shop to do it for you, mainly because not only will you have to remove the chrome, but also the nickel underneath, and sometimes there is copper beneath that.

So you'd need not only a chrome stripper like bleach, but also a nickel and perhaps a copper stripper as well.

Since you are planning on bluing it, its absolutly essential that you get rid of ALL the coatings, or it wont blue right...Im thinking that that most likely will involve mediablasting it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts