Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone point me to the right direction? Just bought a SpeedMaster. It comes with tail light and two turn signals. I want to replace by two turn signals that, at the same time, are brake lights, getting rid of the tail light.

I unmounted the fender and saw three cables I think plus a male connector that goes into the bike's female connector (under the seat).

In simple words (maybe a diagram will help) how can I make those two turn signals work as stop lights and turn signals at the same time?

Initially, I am thinking in getting some Harley Iron signals.

Any diagram , post, link, something that can help me? I never done this before.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will need two-filament bulb sockets to do it. You have to run a tail light as well as brake and turn lights.
Apologies. What I mean is, the wiring and electric work, what do I need?

There are three wires. What should I do with the other one? For sure, I will need a relay or something and probably new wires?

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
Three wires total? Your tail/brake light should have three wires: brake, running, and ground. Each turn signal should have two: turn and ground. That is a total of five wires, if all the grounds are counted as one. To use turn signals as running/turn/brake lights, you will need a dual-filament bulb in each, and an electronic circuit to mix the turn and brake signals, the way many autos do that have just one bulb for both. Try searching for "5-wire to 4-wire Tail Light Converter"; they come in many types, with and without connectors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Three wires total? Your tail/brake light should have three wires: brake, running, and ground. Each turn signal should have two: turn and ground. That is a total of five wires, if all the grounds are counted as one. To use turn signals as running/turn/brake lights, you will need a dual-filament bulb in each, and an electronic circuit to mix the turn and brake signals, the way many autos do that have just one bulb for both. Try searching for "5-wire to 4-wire Tail Light Converter"; they come in many types, with and without connectors.
Your post helped me a bit.

Let me wait until I receive my custom fender and I will post some pics

:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This may help to illustrate my question. None is from my own bike (need to take a few actually) but still a SpeedMaster

Here is how my bike looks like now. And you can notice the two turn signals plus the tail light:

This is same bike with the same modified fender (shorter) and without OEM lights

I would like to use two Harley Davidson turn signals only or... relocate OEM lights.

·
Visionary
4,656 Posts
The easiest way to do what your looking for is to buy a little black box that converts a 3 bulb setup to a 2 bulb setup. You could probably build your own if your electronics savvy but to keep it simple you can buy one made for just bikes or a univerasal one usually used for towing a 2 bulb trailer with a 3 bulb style car.
This should point you in the right direction
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=convert+3+bulb+to+2+bulb+tail+lights+motorcycle

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The easiest way to do what your looking for is to buy a little black box that converts a 3 bulb setup to a 2 bulb setup. You could probably build your own if your electronics savvy but to keep it simple you can buy one made for just bikes or a univerasal one usually used for towing a 2 bulb trailer with a 3 bulb style car.
This should point you in the right direction
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=convert+3+bulb+to+2+bulb+tail+lights+motorcycle
Thanks Mike

I will give it a try once I get the new fender.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
That looks like a great solution. It will save a ton of re-wiring trying to do it all from scratch.

With the converters, it looks like the ground wires are not involved with the connection, so the lights will have to be grounded to the frame separately.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I don't understand what you want. If you just want to swap out a set of tail lights, You will need to know which wire delivers power to what light, and then you will need some kind of harness that attaches the light to the existing wiring... but if you are trying to custtomize your rear lighting, you should read wadenelsons artical on voltage drop...
My tail light system that I built for my XS11 drew so much amperage that the generator couldn't charge the battery even if the engine was at top revs. too many watts of drain....

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
Light me up

The bike on the dyno in " The future of engines post " by Porky, has what I think the OP is looking for.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

I had a similar situation. I don't remember how I combined the brake and turn, but I used the black ground wire for power and ran a new ground from the light base to a fender ground. This gives you an extra wire.

--

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
With the converters, it looks like the ground wires are not involved with the connection, so the lights will have to be grounded to the frame separately.
Correct - the 3-to-2 converter I linked assumes the ground is run separately. That company also sells 5-to-4 converters, which are actually 3-to-2, but with the running light and ground routed through. Those have standard 4-pin connectors attached, which the OP doesn't need.

·
American Legion Rider
23,691 Posts
Yep but you still might need a voltage compensator to make them work correctly.

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
If you use really bright LEDs, say 3W or more, it should work just fine. It really depends on the way the circuits are made, and the bias points of the electronic switches, so only one way to find out. Stock bulbs are usually about 21W, just for reference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts