Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you are on a bike, it is not like being in your car. This is one of the reasons we choose to get on and ride in the first place. It is also one of the things that makes the road a more dangerous place for us, not only because of blind spots, but also due to legislation and the fuzz.

How have you been treated differently because you were on a bike and not in a car. It might have been police harassment, or it could have been actual bike only legislation. Are the differences on the treatment justified?

All I know is that all of the parents of my friends were in two categories, those that let their kids watch me or ride with me, and those that could not come over. I think the difference was justified. How about you?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I found that most parents didn't like me when they found out I wanted to date their daughter just because I rode a Triumph back then. Some were cool about it but most were not. Because I had a bike my friends also wanted one so that too made the parents mad at me.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I think biker are being accepted more all the time simply because of the sheer numbers.
I also think the type of bike makes a world of difference. A CBR or a Ninja, for example, draws a lot of attention from Mr. Law because of the stereotype that they're always racing to get somewhere. Cruisers tend to get noticed less because the riders are generally older and considered more "upright" law-a-biding citizens!
I also think the louder your pipes the more you're "watched" by "the man". Quiet pipes "say" the rider is Mr. Conservative.

CD

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have have had no negative treatments towards me, because I ride a motorcyle whether it was my Harley or now my Kawasaki Ninja by neighbors, other drivers or by the police.

Motorcycles here of all shapes and sizes (and bikers of all shapes and sizes ;) ) are very common all year round by people of all walks of life, so they are a reguar part of the society I live in.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't noticed any differences in the way people treat me (well I suppose my 14 year old cousin thinks it cool but...)

I haven't had any problems with the police... or peoples parents.

Although I suppose I have been told by a few coworkers (that don't ride) that I look cool... or funny in my riding suit.

It's quite popular where I am so I suppose most people are used to it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How Are You Treated Differently?

In reflection I doubt much differently whether driving my pickup (WITH Harley Stickers :rolleyes: ) or out on the scoot. Admittedly as my wife would point out, my Ranchero as it stands does look like something out of 'Deliverance' and/or 'Mad Max'. :eek: What has surprised me over the years though that I've never known a more likelihood (or less likely) of being stopped depending on the type and style of bike I was riding. I could be on Harleys or on Full Dress Gold-Wings and it didn't make no difference. If I was in a group of speeding cars I'd be the one to get stopped and get the ticket guaranteed! :rolleyes:

LRG

Footnote: NOT a single ticket for anything now in 25+ years - amazing?! ;) Rule of the thumb: As long as everyone else is passing YOU, yer' reasonably safe. :D

Let’s Help Those Who Truly Can’t Help Themselves: Save a LIFE by making a donation to the STURGIS ANIMAL SHELTER at http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/SD02.html ;) Your Karma will thank you and so will the Critters!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I look the same no matter where I go or what I'm riding/driving so I get pretty much the same treatment. I get the stares, the open looks of fear, etc.. It's great when I go to school events with my daughter, no-one will make eye contact with me, but they damn sure are nice to her!
One time, right in my "hometown" I had a kinda funny incident.
I stopped at the local convenience store, where I go all the time, to fuel up before hitting the road. It was in the middle of summer, so there was plenty of tourist/fishing/traveller traffic and when I got to the counter to pay, there was a line of five people in front of me.
The guy who was standing closest to the counter, next in line to be waited on, looked over his shoulder and caught site of me. He turned around, looked right at me and said "Sir, you were here before me." I was kinda baffled and replied, "No,... I just walked in. You go ahead."
He took a step back from the counter, pushing the other customers with him and said, "No sir, I'm sure you were here before me. Please go ahead." I stared at him for a couple of seconds, looked at the other people in line who were all nodding in agreement with him and shrugged.
"OK." I said and moved to the front of the line, paid and left. The clerk who was working, and whom I've known for years was chuckling the whole time! She kept giving me sh*t, saying "Hello SIR. Just the gas SIR? Anything else we can get for you SIR?"
It was all I could do to keep from busting out laughing.
Respects,
Roadrash

·
Registered
313 Posts
Almsot every time I'm near a cop he/she has to slow down, pull behind me, and I can only assume pull up my tags. It gets a little annoying because I feel like they are out to get me, but then I think "what if some one stole my bike, I would want them to find it" and since I know Im not breaking any laws I get over it pretty quick.

Id be pissed if I got pulled over for speeding while following the flow, its more dangerouse to let every one zip past you so if I got a ticket for keeping myself safer Id probly go off.

·
Registered
151 Posts
As I mentioned in an earlier post, the attitudes have changed over the years. Being a "biker" is much more socially acceptable nowadays. Back in the early 80's my main ride was a 56 Panhead on a hardtail frame, wideglide & 10" over on a stretched neck. Shifting was a suicide setup and a bobbed rear fender.
In short...it was what one would call radical.

I was constantly stopped and harassed everytime I took it out. I had to plan on a trip that normally took 2 hours to take 3 or more.

I have a couple other bikes now that I use more than the 56 (which I still have). Now when I take the 56 out for a spin, the cops barely acknowledge my existence.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I haven't noticed too much different treatment. Of course cars on the road react differently to bikes than other cars, but as for going into a store or something the only difference is that sometimes I think people keep a little distance from me.

There's one gas station I go to pretty often where the attendants don't seem to trust me at all. As soon as I pull up on the bike whichever attendants, sometimes there are as many as four, kind of converge and keep an eye on me. They almost ignore the other cars until I'm gone.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, this weekend I got treated a little differently, but I'm not sure it was in a negative way.
I was with some Brothers in a bar after a swap meet. They had been in the same bar the night before, but I hadn't. We had only been inside for about two minutes when the security guard came over to us and said "OK guys, now remember,... the same rules apply tonight as last night, right?"
I thougth "Oh great, this **** already?!"
One of my Brothers spoke up and said "Yup! Any bodies have to be dragged and thrown out either that door or the one in back, right?" The security guard smiled and said "That's right. And no matter what happens, I didn't see a thing!"
We had a great night, and didn't have to drag out even one body!
Respects,
Roadrash

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bikers are sexy! haha that's one of the only differences I've found.
A lot of "the boys" around here ride so they have respect for bikers if you aren't being a dumbass
(that means they might crack much harder if you're doing tricks)
But I've had friends that had run-in's and just been let off with a keep safe warning not to do it again

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
We just had a motorcycle awareness week here in Missouri. I live by one of the largest lakes in the U.S., and there are bikers on the road all the time here during the summer. I get dirty looks from some of the old f---s (my age), but nobody seems to do anything to aggrevate me. I have noticed, however, that when I drive my little sports car, people ignore me and pull out in front of me. Evidently, they think my little car is so small that I can't hurt them. It doesn't happen when I'm driving my big diesel truck.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Well, being a new rider (and being from a small town with not a whole lot of police presence) I haven't had that much experience yet. However, I do notice that when I am riding and people are in their yards or walking down the road I get the whole stare as if they have never seen a bike before. Although, I do ride a 73 CB350, so maybe they are not used to seeing one quite so old before, who knows!

However, the other day, I was getting ready to go to CVS to get my wife's prescription and a cop rode by and nearly skidded his tires trying to slow down and he just stared at me the whole way by. It was strange, but needless to say I waited a bit, but only because I still technically should not be riding without a licensed biker behind me (only have my learners, will be taking the MSF this weekend (and it is supposed to be upper 90s both days and humid - that sucks!). Anyhow, CVS is right down two neighborhood streets from me, so I went anyway. Didn't see the cop again, but still made me wonder wth his deal was. Guess I should get used to it.

Mike

·
Registered
510 Posts
From this cops standpoint there is no difference. However some bikers have attitudes and so that attitude can create a negative reaction. My issue is drinking and driving or riding, tailgating, and excessive speed, I don’t care if it is a cage or a bike. I find that at least twice a month I get a sport bike for a 100 plus, and normally it is a young rider that hasn’t had his endorsement for over a year. Why do I have an attitude about that, I hate seeing a young person die because of stupidity. I have seen bar hoppers so drunk they could hardly stand up, come out of a bar and get on a bike. I just hate to see people die because of dumb mistakes like these, and yes it gives me an attitude. The guys that are riding reasonably and having a good time I’m all for them because I ride as much as I can.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Perry, I guess it's the same old story, all of you are judged by a very few. I have a local officer living right across the street, and he's an arrogant pushy little so-and-so and goes around the neighborhood telling people what to do when he has no jurisdiction out in the county. I had to remind him of that fact one day when he shot his mouth off at me, and if he was going to try a citizen's arrest, by law, I could defend myself any way I wish, and if he got hurt, it was his problem. He backed off. Because of his actions out here in the county, NONE of the city police are liked, and a couple of them are very nice.

Mike, you don't have to get used to it. Unless they're having a real problem in an area, they don't pay any more attention to a motorcycle than they do a car. Unless of course, they're like Perry and also ride. Then, they're probably interested in what you're riding, not what you're doing.

·
Registered
747 Posts
From this cops standpoint there is no difference. However some bikers have attitudes and so that attitude can create a negative reaction. My issue is drinking and driving or riding, tailgating, and excessive speed, I don’t care if it is a cage or a bike. I find that at least twice a month I get a sport bike for a 100 plus, and normally it is a young rider that hasn’t had his endorsement for over a year. Why do I have an attitude about that, I hate seeing a young person die because of stupidity. I have seen bar hoppers so drunk they could hardly stand up, come out of a bar and get on a bike. I just hate to see people die because of dumb mistakes like these, and yes it gives me an attitude. The guys that are riding reasonably and having a good time I’m all for them because I ride as much as I can.

Amen to that brother, all of that. Had to many friends and family already gone because of that. I can honestly say that I used to party pretty heavily when I was a teen and early 20's, but one thing I never did no matter what was a.) get behind the wheel when partying; b.) never got in a car with anyone who had, and c.) attempted as best I could to stop anybody from doing so, friend or not. Guess that is why I am still alive and kicking today. I mean, I do not party anymore, but when I did it was to have fun and death can really take the fun outta something.

Mike

·
Registered
747 Posts
Perry,
Mike, you don't have to get used to it. Unless they're having a real problem in an area, they don't pay any more attention to a motorcycle than they do a car. Unless of course, they're like Perry and also ride. Then, they're probably interested in what you're riding, not what you're doing.

Yeah, I realize that and to be honest think the reasoning was because of the latter. Or possibly he was looking for a stolen bike, which is fine by me. That just means that if mine gets taken they will actually be looking. Luckily, most of the police that are around here, town and county are pretty cool - it is a laid back southern country town, so that is probably why. Now, the state police, that is a different story! The only thing that aggrivates me sometimes is that my road is a passthrough from one major road to another and they always set up roadblocks up the street, which means if I go to the store, I get stopped. I hate getting stopped and my info ran both ways every time. It is SO annoying. I mean I am glad they are doing what they are doing on my road, but is it really possible that I could have gotten drunk, committed and crime and had a new warrant out on me in the 3 minutes I was at the store! :D

Mike

Mike

·
Registered
510 Posts
Tfee3
You bring up an interesting point and kind of prove my point. I know a few guys that are badge heavy, (meaning they push their authority). That usually wears off after a while but it is annoying to citizens when confronted with it. My attitude is I’m only a cop while I’m on duty, if I see a crime being committed when I’m off duty, I’ll call the cops, not my problem in the most part.
I need to read between the lines with your attitude toward your neighbor. It seems like you also have somewhat of an attitude towards him, and maybe it is warranted. However I believe a gentle answer turns away wrath. When you say you will defend yourself against a cop you must understand that even if he is a local, we have a thing called the thin blue line, I’m sure you have heard of it. We back each other up, no matter if it is city, state or county. Sometimes we are even nice to the federal guys but not too often, they live in a different world. So if you do get into it with a cop, generally you are going to find that whatever other cops get involved are going to be on his side, write or wrong.
Now if you have a cop that is really out of line, get in touch with his department and ask to talk to internal affairs. I guarantee you that if he is misusing his authority they will put a stop to it, at least that is the way it is hear.

Mike, I feel sorry for you. I hate roadside checkpoints, haven’t done that in years. It seems like they would get to know you and just wave you through. Maybe they just like your smiling face. Here again you might try talking to the supervisor in your area and see what he might be able to do for you.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts