Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TLDR - Skip first 4 paragraphs

I am looking for full face or modular (needs to be fairly quiet). Want a higher end model that is on sale for a killer price. I am finding several that are anywhere feom 2 to 5 years old (new helmet, just old model) normally selling for 300 to 550$ and available new for 115$ to 230$

My current helmet is a Kabuto Kamui (use to be called OKG?) and I love it. I would buy the same one, but can't find anything for 150+. I paid 80$ for mine new on a sale. If I am paying 150$ I might as well move to a better helmet. The Kabuto held up great when I slid about 20 feet while putting heavy scratches into both sides of the helmet. Blacked out during the accident, but I know I bounced off the hood of the car that rear ended me then landed on the interstate and slid a nice bit.

I found slme strange ones from china like a NEXX XR2 brand new in a large for 80$. Is it common to see higher end helmets sold from china that are actually garbage, but looks like the real thing?

I care mostly about sound and protection. Long as it's not crazy loud it's fine. Here are some models I am considering and the ones below are legit not from china.

Nolan N87 or 91 - Good prices on slightly used at 115 to 130$

NEXX X.T1 or XS100 - 180/185$ new

AGV Numo - 160 to 180$ new

The next ones aren't as huge of savings, but they seem like really nice helmets for this price range.

Shark Skwal 1 or 2 - 150 to 230$ this thing really impressed me. Not seeing much reason to get the newer one for 80$ more. The LED's look amazing, very subtle. Love the idea of being seen easier at night, plus it actually looks good.

Icon Alliance GT - 110$ new. Like how the Icon helmets look and easy to find good deals on ebay both new and used. I like all of their models that have the sun visor.

Leaning mostly towards the NEXX, Shark or AVG in that order, but I'm not familiar with any of them. The models seem well reviewed.

I wish it were simple to add a flip sun visor to a helmet that doesn't have one. I have a few others I would get if this can be added for under 30$. I often ride in the morning to the point where no flip down visor is a deal breaker.

Not worried about the lack of DOT on some models. I trust the other certifications much more.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am looking for full face or modular (needs to be fairly quiet).
There is a lot of choice out there. Some good helmets at very low prices.

Want a higher end model that is on sale for a killer price.
By "Higher end" do you mean most expensive, best protection or best quality/durability?
Independent testing has shown that there is little or no correlation between helmet price and
level of protection. Some $100 dollar helmets have scored the maximum 5 star rating
from SHARP (UK).

I am finding several that are anywhere feom 2 to 5 years old (new helmet, just old model) normally selling for 300 to 550$ and available new for 115$ to 230$
You can find great offers on older models or out-of-date colour schemes.
Check the date of manufacture before you buy. Some of these can be
very old stock.

My current helmet is a Kabuto Kamui (use to be called OKG?) and I love it.
Kabuto are made in Japan and of similar quality to the other Japanese brands.
The bad news is that they are almost as expensive as Shoei or Arai.

I would buy the same one, but can't find anything for 150+. I paid 80$ for mine new on a sale.
You are unlikely to find a new Kabuto at such a low price. I have seen older Kabuto
models like the Aeroblade 3 and RT-33 for sale. Prices are generally around $200+.
IMO that would be too much to pay for a helmet that has been gathering dust for 4-5 years.

If I am paying 150$ I might as well move to a better helmet. The Kabuto held up great when I slid about 20 feet while putting heavy scratches into both sides of the helmet. Blacked out during the accident, but I know I bounced off the hood of the car that rear ended me then landed on the interstate and slid a nice bit.
Ouch! I'm glad the the helmet performed well when you put it to the test.
You make a very strong case for buying another high-quality Japanese helmet.

I found slme strange ones from china like a NEXX XR2 brand new in a large for 80$. Is it common to see higher end helmets sold from china that are actually garbage, but looks like the real thing?
I would avoid fake/counterfeit helmets. You can buy genuine certified helmets for very
low prices. Aldi (German discount store) were selling ECE 22.05 approved helmets
for just €35. I bought one from the reduced rack at less than half price. €17
(just over $22) for an approved full face helmet with a spare set of cheek pads
and a spare visor.

Nolan N87 or 91 - Good prices on slightly used at 115 to 130$
Nolan are good. Up until recently, they were still made in Italy. I
find the fit tends to be smaller than expected and a bit claustrophobic
because the chin bar and visor are so close to my face.

Shark Skwal 1 or 2 - 150 to 230$ this thing really impressed me.
My friend bought a Skwal 2 at a reduced price in the January sales.
He is happy with it and has had no problems so far. Check the price
of parts. I have found Shark visors and pinlock inserts to be even
more expensive than other brands.

NEXX, Shark or AVG in that order, but I'm not familiar with any of them.
AGV have two separate lines. The expensive models are made in Italy, the
cheaper ones are made in China by MDS. If you want to buy an MDS helmet,
it will probably be cheaper to buy the MDS branded version.

I know nothing about NEXX. Shark are a french brand with a factory in Portugal. My
S900 was a reasonably good helmet for the price. My Shoei Quest is quieter,
better built and more durable. Visors and anti-fog inserts are cheaper for the Shoei.
This really matters to me because I ride every day, all seasons. I will get through
2-3 visors/inserts over the 4-5 year life of a helmet.

I wish it were simple to add a flip sun visor to a helmet that doesn't have one. I have a few others I would get if this can be added for under 30$. I often ride in the morning to the point where no flip down visor is a deal breaker.
I'm not bothered about the sun visor. I find the only time they would be useful is on cold
clear winter days when the sun is low in the sky. Any that I have tried will fog up
instantly under these conditions.

Not worried about the lack of DOT on some models. I trust the other certifications much more.
ECE is a legal requirement here. Both of my helmets (Shoei and Scorpion) are ECE approved
and SHARP tested for the EU version. The equivalent models are DOT and SNELL approved
for the US market.

Anyway, lots to choose from. Scorpion, LS2, Givi, Caberg....... Check the ratings
and above all, get one that fits properly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts