Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are few dealerships within reasonable driving distance. They rarely have anything used. Whenever I come across something used that I might be interested in, it’s usually a couple of states away and not within driving distance. Obviously, I’d have to rely on the salespeople to be honest and upfront about what they’re selling but until I paid for the bike and for shipping and it got to my house, I wouldn’t know anything for sure. I assume once it’s in my possession, I have no recourse. So, is it advisable to buy a used motorcycle this way?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Myself I would not. You may want to lookup SRK Cycles on Youtube. They sell and ship all kinds of bikes all over the US. They do a walk around video showing every inch then they do a ride video. Seems to be some pretty good guys as well as interesting videos.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I've heard of people hiring a local mechanic, (local meaning in the area the bike is located) and having that mechanic lay an eyeball on the bike you're interested in.

Is there a forum member in the area that you think would be honest with you? He/she may not be a mechanic, but if willing, could look it over, maybe test ride it, give you their opinion.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Its actually pretty common to do what they call fly & ride, it would have to be a valuable bike, a rare bike, or a bike in really excellent condition at a good price. You fly in and ride the bike home. You get detailed photos of the bike emailed to you from the dealership, letting them know that you will be flying in from out of state based on what they state the condition of the bike is in. When they know you are flying in from out of state, you'll get an accurate description. You also agree on a price over the phone, and they have to agree to hold it for you until you can get there (has to be in a reasonable time frame of say within two days). I've done a fly & ride on one of my bike purchases in the past. I've also sold two bikes where the buyers flew in from out of state and rode the bikes home. I've never had a problem, but both parties have to 100% honest up front for it to work.

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,105 Posts
I've done a fly and drive three times with cars and it works exactly as Zebraranger describes. Booked the cheapest flight possible (my best was Chicago to Denver for $31 on Spirit), flew out, drove home with my loot.

Of course, the price has to be pretty killer or the vehicle pretty awesome to make it worth it.

Shipping is also an option, but it can get pricy.

If any of the bikes in your search are in Illinois, Wisconsin, or Indiana I would be happy to look them over and maybe even test ride for you. :)

·
American Legion Rider
19,010 Posts
There's that old saying, "no guts no glory". As you suggest Miss M, if the deal just can't be passed up, it would be worth it. The ones I considered just didn't come to that level. But I can sure see doing it for those rare bikes. I have just such a bike that if I ever see one, I'm on the quickest flight out of here and then deal with getting it back. Ride or rent a small moving van if it's something that's been in storage. But the bike and price have to make it worth that kind of effort. So far for me it hasn't happened. But I keep looking.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You may want to try the site rumbleon dot com (sorry, can't post links yet)

I've never personally used them but they claim to have a 3 day/150 mile money back guarantee and they ship all over the country.

·
6,587 Posts
I have sold several bikes to people who have flown or drove in from as much as 2,000 miles away and I have also shipped a BMW R1100GS to the NW coast of Washington. Recently, I sold my 2016 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom to a Forum member in Wash state and he drove down and put the bike in the bed of his pickup and enjoyed a LONG vacation drive. I have sold lots of bikes where I met people half way, one time 400 miles away and twice 200 miles away for a bike swap and every sale was great!:smile_big:

I wouldn't hesitate to fly or Greyhound into another state to buy the bike I want at a great price and have a mini touring vacation doing a break in ride on the way home, maybe even stopping at a dealer for the first service if called for.

3 years ago, I bought a new 2012 'left over stock,' brand new Yamaha Star 1300T, for $7,000 out the door and my local dealers wanted 10 thou plus for the same bike: I drove in after making reservations in a Hotel near the dealer and enjoyed the 1,500 mile round trip in my brand new F150:grin:

Anything can work if you plan and work out the logistics. I like the idea of asking a forum member to check a bike out if they are near by and are willing to do so, I certainly would:smile:

Sam:nerd:

·
Motorcyclist/Trucker/ Deplorable
1,066 Posts
I know a few that has done the Fly and ride bit, however they needed to replace things along the way such as a tire and a chain, that would suck. I went to Florida (on my little CBR) to pick up sight unseen the Goldwing and rented down there a Penski truck and drove them both back in that.

·
Motorcyclist/Trucker/ Deplorable
1,066 Posts
I've heard of people hiring a local mechanic, (local meaning in the area the bike is located) and having that mechanic lay an eyeball on the bike you're interested in.

Is there a forum member in the area that you think would be honest with you? He/she may not be a mechanic, but if willing, could look it over, maybe test ride it, give you their opinion.
It would be worth what ever reasonable cost to have an advocate laying hands on the ride before you invest the time and money in long distance for sure!

·
Visionary
2,986 Posts
Fly or drive to the bike and ride it back can work fine, I bought my 08 Vision more or less sight unseen, made the deal online, I got a ride down to Virginia (was easier than flying) , did the deal first thing in the AM with the owner at the hotel I stayed the night at, then hopped on and rode back home 450 miles in below freezing weather over the blue ridge mountains. It was a great way to get to know my new bike, the only glitch was the first fuel stop when i realized I didn't know how to open the gas tank :)
It felt a little funny walking around with all the cash but we did the transaction out in public in the hotel, and there was no grief, he was a nice guy ( we are still in touch) and I'm OK I guess so there was no stress..we both had wives along for backup and get away drivers :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've done a fly and drive three times with cars and it works exactly as Zebraranger describes. Booked the cheapest flight possible (my best was Chicago to Denver for $31 on Spirit), flew out, drove home with my loot.

Of course, the price has to be pretty killer or the vehicle pretty awesome to make it worth it.

Shipping is also an option, but it can get pricy.

If any of the bikes in your search are in Illinois, Wisconsin, or Indiana I would be happy to look them over and maybe even test ride for you. :)
Wait. What? $31 for Chicago to Denver? :surprise: You are my new hero!!

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,105 Posts
Wait. What? $31 for Chicago to Denver? :surprise: You are my new hero!!
Hehe yep! I travel really light (if it can't fit in my carry on it stays home) and sometimes take flights on unpopular days. The result is that I get silly cheap flights. It also helps that I'm not afraid of being treated like cattle by Spirit Airlines.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hehe yep! I travel really light (if it can't fit in my carry on it stays home) and sometimes take flights on unpopular days. The result is that I get silly cheap flights. It also helps that I'm not afraid of being treated like cattle by Spirit Airlines.
Most of my travel is on the company dime or air miles if I have enough. But every once in a while I have to foot the bill. Fricking baggage fees can be more than $31. You got mad skillz!

·
American Legion Rider
19,010 Posts
Do you really want a bike from Cali with all the extra smog stuff they require? Or is it no big deal because NY requires similar junk?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hahha, Actually it all depends on the type of motorcycle you are shipping and also the company. There are some fairly cheap motorcycle shipping options you can find if you need to haul your bike across state lines and you can't drive it over there yourself. I honestly don't like bikes from Cali, I myself am from Texas but I did ship a motorcycle to WA for my good amigo. I spent less then a grand (around $600-650) and there were no incidents so it all worked out.

·
6,587 Posts
Aside from the EVAP canister a bike from California is the SAME. They run the same, even with the 'SMOG' stuff on there.

GOOGLE 'Motorcycle shipping,' and lots of sites will come up where you put in the info and the quote is automatic.

A man is very interested in my Indian Scout that I have for sale, for his Wife and he lives in Boise, Idaho so he will probably look into shipping too.

Sam:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts