Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard of brakes heating up. I have never actually had this happen, and hope I never do.

My XS brakes were installed with a bolt that was too long, holding on the caliper. the bolt went through the caliper and came up against the rotor, probably making a tremendouse amount of heat as it wore a groove into them.

I pulled the bolt, ground off the end, put it back in with about 1/16th inch to spare.

Same with my acorns on my shocks. Someone pulled the saddlebags, and tried to put the nuts back on without spacers, they have acorn bump syndrome now, and I will have to replace them some day. I found the rear fender acorns, partially holding the shocks on, and the shock acorns on the fender bolts.

Man, who ever did this trick job, didn't know much about mechanics! I think I got lucky!

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Brakes will get hot with normal use, and with heavy use can get really hot. That's where brake fade starts happening. Modern brake pad materials are much better than they used to be, so brake fade is less of an issue. Normal street riding doesn't cause overheating usually.

Making sure to put everything back together properly is important.

·
Premium Member
5,501 Posts
Sounds like the previous 'mechanic' was a real shade-tree type. The 'I'll make it fit, and it'll be fine' kind, not the 'I want it to work right' kind.

Just to put it out there, since it was brought up, the boiling point of fresh DOT4 rated fluid is 446F, and drops to about 310F after a year or two. Your caliper will have spots hotter than that where the pads contact it, but the thermal mass should keep the fluid below those temps. If you brake aggressively, and often, you can get fade from boiling fluid, especially if it isn't changed every couple years.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
now for the clincher....

clyde makes most of the decisions huh....

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to abduct clyde with aliens, and make you into the grevious and worried caregiver.
Then I want to pack averything that was ever associated with alien abductions into 2 .5 hrs. That is a challenge. Tell clyde to smile!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts