Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, to start, I've never ridden a motorcycle really. putted around on a family friends 90cc dirtbike a couple times a summer during family picnics.. Finally at 11, convinced my dad to get me a 1979 125cc Kawasaki... it cost him $300... and i was only allowed to ride it during these family picnics.. which occurred twice a year or thereabouts. What a god**** waste.

Meanwhile, my friends were all ripping it up in the dunes out behind the trailer park. It was illegal to ride there, and illegal to ride the dirtbike around the residential streets TO the place they were riding. As well, my safety was a concern, so needless to say, I didn't get much riding done. One day under the supervision of my older cousin, I was allowed to WALK the bike in neutral to where I could ride it. Had so little experience riding that I'd never really grasped the concept of 'friction point'. The bike flew out from under me and I hung on for 10 feet... brutal. That was the end of that chapter, bike got sold, good riddance.

Many years later, I'm a young, but easily impressioned 21 year old man. I'm at a gas station near Renfrew, Ontario on a road trip with friends. Up rolls this dude on a BMW enduro looking thing with this GORGEOUS long, dark-haired mediterranean beauty on the back. My jaw drops, or so it may as well have. He was quite a handsome fellow, could have been a middle aged model. He looked at me and smiled, he knew what I was thinking; "This is a scene from a life I wish to live" BMW couldn't have filmed a better commercial. Actually, scratch that, they did, starring Clive Owen and Madonna...Amazing car commercial. Regardless, it stayed with me forever.

Every summer after that I'd see young guys riding around on their 'crotch-rockets', sometimes with girls on the back and think "****, I wish I had a bike"

Now, this summer, at 28, gainfully employed and making decent money, I started looking into buying myself a BMW motorcycle. I realized after a short while that I just could not afford to buy a bike out right, and shelved the idea. Some guys I was playing slowpitch with mentioned the idea of renting enduros and touring south america. I was familiar with Ewan McGregor's 'Long Way Round' and 'Long Way Down' series and the idea intrigued me greatly! That was it; I'd tour around eastern europe (realized they were not the reliable types to do ANYTHING with and decided to dream about going somewhere higher on my list of priorities in the world of travelling).

Found some different and affordable rental companies, spotted a BMW GS650 F Dakar, but also looked into seeing if any BMW Motorad dealerships would be willing to finance a canadian. That was very quickly dashed, and I decided "**** it... I'm buying the K 1300 R that caught my eye in the spring" And I am now the proud owner of such a bike, Silk Metallic! Even had them throw the gear on the financing plan and got sweet everything, Aplinestar boots, Atlantis 4 Suit, SummerSport gloves, Series 5 helmet (and a smaller sport helmet for female company that inevetibly will be on my bike - as soon as I feel it's safe enough to do so lol)

Had to swallow my pride and let the dealer know that I had no idea what the hell I was about to do. He gave me a few quick pointers, I looked confident, he got ready to leave and I asked "Actually.. do you have like, a half an hour?" "I'm .. about to go for lunch. Sorry man" lol... he left, and immediately I tipped my new bike over, lol! Slowly though, as I'd grabbed the handle and lowered it to the ashphalt. Brutal. Humbling. So was doing wide figure-8's in behind the service garages while guys had smoke breaks and pondered 'what kind of a yuppie dip**** buys a 20 thousand dollar bike without knowing how to ride it?" lol! Quickly I headed out for quieter grounds elsewhere to train and become accustomed to my motorcycle.

But here I am, 5 days and 837 km's later (yeah I know, I'm sposed to run the engine in with hills and such but not a lot of that here, hopefully I haven't left too much of a negative impact on my bike) I've got a way better feel for the bike. I still stall it at intersections sometimes, like tonight on the way home while a coworker rode his buell ('catwalked' is a better term) with me to teach me a thing or two. Had a pickup truck drive up onto my foot for the first time. that was something else. But definitely loving it, gonna keep on keeping on, get even better, and then fly to Bulgaria and enjoy that motorcycle touring trip that was the catalyst for the purchase in the first place.

Thanks for reading if you did, hope you enjoyed it, mostly wrote it for myself, just to vent.

Now it's time to search out the odd thing to help improve or put to rest any concerns... like when the horrendous muscle fatigue in my brake hand will end... I couldn't win a thumb-wrestling conest against a baby! Or whether I'm relying on the engine to slow me too much... Or how to improve leans and counter-steering on my right side which is far less comfortable from the left side... etcetera etcetera etcetera.

ps: I'll have pics up soon.

Cheers

pps: Still looking for a wingman for the Eastern Europe bike touring trip... 21 Sept-17 Oct, 2009

pps: Should I fell ****ty that a guy in my town of 80,000 already owns the silk metallic k1300r? the dealership had told me "silver metallic is in a crate waiting to be put together" which was what I wanted anyway, but then when I went to pick it up after travelling 493 km's... the dark one was what awaited me, and I didn't have the time nor the care to order a new one. I dunno, I do sorta feel bad. We buy certain models, certain colours, to individualize and customize... and I feel I accidentally tromped on that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, yeah.. that kinda puts a damper on things. Gotta move to Kelowna! I've had the bike since Wednesday and have put 893 km's on it. I ride it to and from work, to the gym, everywhere I can. It's awesome. It's nice to challenge myself, and rewarding to see my improvements. Heading to edmonton this weekend, maybe on to red deer. Should be good :D

·
It's all about attitude
880 Posts
What a story.Taking a trip like the one you're planning would be awsome and I hope it all goes as expected. Is a new riders course availiable ,such as the MSF we have ,to you in your area? I would strongly suggest looking into that as you really need this type of instruction. Ride safe.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, a motorcycle safety course, unfortunately the guys from edmonton who come up only run it from may to june. That's okay, Although I took some risks just jumping on like that, I'm a pretty sensible guy and use my head. I've learnt a lot in the last week, and I also have a few buddies that ride that have told me a thing or two.

As for the trip, thanks! I know it'll be amazing. for the long weekend, a bunch of us are hitting Drumheller and Medicine Hat, gonna be gorgeous, hot, and lots of canyon riding! Can't wait!

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

·
Knees 2 the breeze!
3,445 Posts
Welcome to the MCF from Southern Illinois! Hope you take a camera with you & share some pix!

God bless & ride safe!

Daddio

1 - 12 of 12 Posts