Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was being really stupid and didn't think that a second battery I was hooking up would have the polarities switched. When I hooked it up I did hear a little buzz for maybe a quarter of a second. After I realized the problem I unhooked it and checked the fuse (bike only has one, 1982 GS450 btw) and it was not broken.

Now none of the bikes lights go on. Any ideas what I could have messed up?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Desperate for Answers

Hi guys. New here and looking for some answers about my bike. I have a 05 C90 Blvd. I love this bike. I have had it since it was new and have NEVER had a problem until now. I took it to get the oil changed ( engine and shaft ). And have the plugs changed. I figured being almost 10 years old it was due. The mechanic i took it to came highly recommended. He says he had to take the tank off to get to the plugs and now it is discharging. I have changed the battery AND taken it back to him. He says that there was nothing under the tank that has ANYTHING to do with the charging system but again. I have NEVER had an issue with it until now. Any ideas? Could he have left something unplugged??

·
American Legion Rider
22,869 Posts
An 05 an you are just now changing oil???? Okay but that battery is on it's last legs too. I supposed you've never bled the the brake lines either. Do you check the air pressure in the tires? Do you see where I'm at? there are things that need maintenance every year and every time your ride. The shop may or may not have touched the battery or any electrical part. The fact you've not checked these puts it all on you. Does the battery need fluid? Does it even take a charge? What volts is being output when running? Almost sounds like you have no idea what makes a bike operate. If that's true, fine. Just don't condemn the shop. There is more to riding than twisting the throttle. Answer some of these questions and we "might" be able to get you going again. BTW, are the battery terminals clean and tight?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The maintainance HAS been done EVERY YEAR. Your assumption that I did not have it done until now is moronic. And after all you said, you never really answered my first question. But thank you for your reply. Anyone have any real replies?

·
American Legion Rider
22,869 Posts
Actually I did. Could be old battery.

·
Veteran Member
3,241 Posts
Cowboy, I think they meant after ten years it was time for spark plugs, not an oil change.

Misfit, you changed the battery with a new one, or another used one? When you say it is discharging, do you mean it never charges up while the engine is running, or that it discharges when sitting overnight or a few days?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
The only reliable way to see if you are getting a charge is to use a multimeter at the battery. If you are getting no charge there, check the battery side of the regulator, and if nothing there, check the stator connections. (you will have to be set to volts AC to check the stator)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The battery is brand new. Holds a charge fine until I ride. Discharges in about a hundred miles. The bike is VERY well maintained. And I have been a rider for over 30 years. Just want to ride during vacation but it's in the shop. Only 2 things could have happened. He screwed up or its one heck of a coincidence. He's a good mechanic and cams highly recommended.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I'm not sure on that model, but often the electrical harness is routed along the frame under the tank. They should be able to determine if the motorcycle is charging the battery or not in less than 10 minutes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi guys. New here and looking for some answers about my bike. I have a 05 C90 Blvd. I love this bike. I have had it since it was new and have NEVER had a problem until now. I took it to get the oil changed ( engine and shaft ). And have the plugs changed. I figured being almost 10 years old it was due. The mechanic i took it to came highly recommended. He says he had to take the tank off to get to the plugs and now it is discharging. I have changed the battery AND taken it back to him. He says that there was nothing under the tank that has ANYTHING to do with the charging system but again. I have NEVER had an issue with it until now. Any ideas? Could he have left something unplugged??
This line is why people would think you were not doing maintenance.

It could be regulator, did you do a voltage check as asked by dodsfall. did you clean and tighten terminals well when you installed the new battery.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As a Rider of a 04 Intruder 1500 lc Same as your C90 you need to do the MOD 3 conversion The sator and regulator are weeak links on these bikes . SEND me a PM i will hook you up with some info on these bikes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have done some research and I know the regulator rectifier is in a bad spot. Doesn't get much circulation so I'm thinking about just putting it on the front of the battery box. That's where it's recommended to put it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts