Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it's been a while... A little over a year since my last post, but probably four or five since I had a motorcycle (I've ridden since, just not my own bike).

Things have changed, both in life and in the world of bikes. So I'm considering getting another bike later this year, but I have no idea what newfangled bikes might be an option these days. Also, the way I will be using it will be very different from how I used my old one. So a little help for the "new" guy?

Budget - absolute max is probably $10k out the door, but would prefer something closer to $4k, so I wouldn't stress about money spent on gear. A big step up from the $2400 I spent on my last bike, and the $700 for the one before that, but still basically limited to used bikes.

My primary use now is getting to/from work. I need something nimble to get around (or over/through) potholes, with decent get up and go for short highway trips.

As a secondary use, I would like to be able to make a weekend getaway, an hour or two out of town, with the girlfriend on the bike.

And as a bonus use, I would like to be able to make the 400+ mile trip to see family on the bike, maybe make other longer road trips. This is pretty rare, happens a few times a year, so not that important.

So, I'm mostly considering rides like the Honda Shadow 750. Craigslist in my area has some pretty good prices on what appear to be surplus/used police Road Kings. Any thoughts on those? I'm a little concerned about the weight and maneuverability in the city. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

As a side note, what gear would be recommended when riding to/from work in a hot and wet environment?

G

·
So, I'm mostly considering rides like the Honda Shadow 750. Is there anything else I should be looking at?
Probably better off with an 1100 but that is just an opinion.

Have not heard or seen from you in a while, hope all is good?

·
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, that was quick. Ha, yes, all is good.

I don't see many 1100s for sale around here, but plenty of 750s between $2500 and $3500.

I edited to add that I see a bunch of inexpensive Road Kings for sale as well. Heavy for city riding, but would definitely work for the longer trips. My brother says I would get used to the weight and it wouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure he knows the potholes I deal with on a daily basis... Thoughts?

G

·
I do not know much if anything at all about Road Kings but what I can say is for me, and for what it is worth, going with a Road King if you plan to take the girlfriend and such would work as well.

When I leveled up from an 1100 to a 1800 it took no time at all to adjust. Same when I leveled from a 250 to a 1100.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I wish you lived closer to me....I'm selling my Yamaha Road Star 1700 for $5500.....I didn't have any problems riding it around town before my health dropped enough for me to have to sell it.....

good luck on finding a bike :)

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Roadkings are excellent long distance touring bikes, as well as great daily commute bikes. I have no problems riding around town on one, but it might take some getting used to since you haven't been riding much lately.

Recently I had to ride through Memphis, TN, and Birmingham, AL. No problems with the bike's ability to negotiate the conditions, but the rider was a bit stressed by them. :)

Shadows are also good bikes, and likely more nimble. They won't last quite as long on the highway or be as comfortable though.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Welcome back Caleb. Your brother is right, you will eventually get used to the weight of the Road King and they are excellent bikes.

I ride an Ultra and I doubt your potholes are any worse than ours.

·
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks OD

goliath, where is it that you live that's too far?

·
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try a Star Bolt 950 about 7000 new seen them for 5000 used.
Thanks for the tip. I had no idea those had been introduced, and it looks pretty good for what I need. I'll research them a little more, and call the nearby dealerships once the 2016 models are out to see if anyone has a used 2014 to sell

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Caleb, I live just outside of Kansas City MO.....just a few hours north of you (like 13 hours lol)

·
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah, yeah, that's probably a little farther than is worth it... I am kind of sort of planning a trip up to Memphis and Nashville later this year... Think you might still have the bike?

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I hope not....but then again, I haven't sold it yet....how much later this year are you thinking? and do you know Iamjusifyd? she was here in KC and has seen the bike, and I know she's from around there in NO

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
My brother says I would get used to the weight and it wouldn't be an issue.
Your brother sounds wise.

I ride a Harley Ultra Limited. I ride in and around San Antonio. Potholes, traffic, ******* drivers... none an issue.

"An hour or two out of town"... Soon, that will be your first gas stop.

·
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope not....but then again, I haven't sold it yet....how much later this year are you thinking? and do you know Iamjusifyd? she was here in KC and has seen the bike, and I know she's from around there in NO
Probably November or December... Was planning to make the trip by Amtrak to see friends for a long weekend... Just realized KC was another 7+ hours from Memphis... That may not work anyway...

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Check out a used Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe. My 2007 went for around $4500 just last year. It is a very capable 1300cc 4 cylinder that is a great all day long for a solo rider but not quite so friendly for riding 2 up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts