Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 1969 (approximately) Honda Z50. It was given to me after my uncle died. He would ride it around the dirt lake road between our families houses with a beer in one hand and a cigarette hanging out of the side of his mouth laughing the entire way. If you've ever seen or owned a Z50, they are a little ridiculous. All I wanted when I was younger was to ride his mini bike but I never got the opportunity. After he died, it sat in his garage for a number of years until i eventually came to own it.

Unfortunately after sitting for so long, it is not starting at the moment. In addition he was not much of a mechanic so it needs some serious TLC. I thought it would be a great honor to restore it in his name and put it back on those lake roads.

I need help guys. I can figure my way out around a bike but I am a little curious where to start with this old hunk. I would be happy to get it running again but I am also looking at possibly engine swapping this little guy (80cc or 125cc) if possible. And I know what you're thinking, "waste of time.. or this idiot has too much time on your hands"......agreed but I think you can agree that would be pretty badass. And for the short amount of time this thing gets used it would be a fun little project for nights at the lake.

If you have any advice on where exactly to start or if the engine swap is possible please let me know. Not looking to hear from any of you automatic 'nay-sayers,' have a little imagination and appeal to your younger 12 year old self.

Thanks,
Chip

·
Registered
272 Posts
Getting it running is probably not a big deal! You said it sat for several years the carb probably just needs to pulled and cleaned. Drain and clean out the tank put some fresh gas in and it will likely start right up.

·
Visionary
5,266 Posts
Skip the swap, like DGS said if it was running when it was parked it's probably not a big deal to get it back going again, clean up the fuel system, lube up everything and it will probably roar, ( ok more like putt putt) back to life!

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
These old bikes were tough, easy to work on and still easy to buy parts for. Thats why so many of them are still around. Look on youtube and you'll find how-to videos on everything from rebuilding the carb to adjusting the auto clutch. You can buy a new carb for $25 on ebay. These bikes when all original are very hot today. If you can get it running, I think you'll be surprised on what you can sell it for.

·
American Legion Rider
25,975 Posts
One thing I'd suggest doing if it doesn't already have one, is put a inline fuel filter on it. If it already has one, replace it with a new one. That might save a carb tear down and clean up just incase any crude has developed over the years in the tank and fuel lines. This proactive approach could save a lot of frustration later.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,140 Posts
Welcome to a great site with friendly and knowledgeable people to offer advice.

I had a brand new one in 1967 and put it in my trunk and drove to the Desert, where I was stationed, and used it to ride through the desert and hunt Jackrabbits with my 22 rifle.

What I did to achieve LOTS more power and speed, was to put the Barrel, Camshaft, piston and carb from a Honda S65, that was entirely bolt on and probably doubled the HP and torque and speed by virtue of the higher RPM's afforded by the HOT camshaft. I enlarged the cylinder head combustion chamber to fit the larger piston head, with a rotary cutter/ Dremel tool. It 'screamed' after my efforts.

Pull the spark plug and put maybe a Tablespoon of new oil in there and turn the engine over maybe a half dozen times, Put a new sparkplug in or wirebrush clean the old one, drain the gas tank and clean out if rusty, pull the in tank fuel filter and shut off valve and fill with fresh gas and add maybe 6 oz of Seafoam, Lucas, Gumout or my favorite, Techron, clean the air filter, drain and change the oil and then fire her up:smile_big:

If she still won't start or runs poorly then you should very carefully remove the carb and clean out all of the orifices and jets and the probably very dirty float bowl.

I would also get a 'points' file and 400 grit sand paper and clean the points and then run a business card through the gap several times to remove any grit from the sanding.

This is all very easy to do so enjoy.

Sam:grin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts