He can get his license when he's 18
Bought this Honda XR250cc Tornado a week ago for him when he can ride
Took it out for a quick spin yesterday
Not fair to compare to my Tenere, but a very capable light bike
I actually enjoyed it

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,120 Posts
Welcome again to a great forum and I really appreciate these beautiful pictures of your country and your riding area:grin:

Your bikes are perfect for that environment and I've had MANY, dualsport/ enduro/ adventure and desert, motocross bikes and raced them all over Southern California, Arizona, Nevada and Old Mexico! I miss riding the dirt:crying:

I just have to ask this question though: When riding down those fantastic trails, roads and scenic valley's, do you have to worry about being attacked and eaten alive by Lion's or any other carnivore ?:surprise:

If you break down in the middle of nowhere, are you concerned?

Can you legally carry a BIG sidearm, just in case? (Please let's not start a debate on firearms again Folks):smile_big:

When I traveled on my Motorcycle through the mountains of Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Colorado and even areas of California, in the back of my mind I always was concerned about breaking down in those area, like in the middle of Yellowstone, with Bears everywhere:surprise:

I was always armed but a sidearm is of little effect on a hungry Grizzly, Black Bear or a MEAN African Lion:surprise:

So, I'd like an answer to my question about safety where you ride please.

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
South Africa is a civilized developed country and unfortunately we have to visit game parks to see wild animals, none left outside these reserves

Never been concerned about this, much other dangers along the roads like people (criminals)

We are allowed to carry licensed firearms but the need has never been to go on a trip with one

I believe we are still safe out there, travel during day time

My future son in law is from Portsmouth (England) and had the same questions, so quite valid I presume

I see on the map, I'm the only person in Africa

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
Porky do you believe Africa is still the land of Tarzan.

Reactions: Porky and Dual

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,120 Posts
Yes, He and Jane, Boy and Cheeto his Pal :)

"The vine Jane the vine---ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh":smile_big:

Critter, I was serious about the wild animals:surprise:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Porky, we have a lovely safe country, you must come and visit and see for yourself, really no dangers in animals, as said, the human element can be more of a danger
Alas, the odd stray cattle of buck can be a danger, but never encountered a situation that could not be dealt with, I usually travel gravel and at such leisurely speed that I'm in control of any situation, after all, I travel to explore and relax
Greetings

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,120 Posts
In what direction and how far would you have to ride to actually become concerned about wild animal attacks?

Believe me, I know about the criminal element ordeal prevalent all over the world and National politics that turn people and ethnic groups against each other but my narrow view of Africa has been conditioned by "Mutual of Omaha," and National Geographic magazines showing wild animals eating every target of opportunity:surprise:

Obviously, I know very little about Africa but those trails and riding areas look like Heaven to me, with the ground giving excellent traction as my past KTM and I haul along, wide open, throwing a furrow as we do so:grin:

More pictures please!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You would have to go to a game reserve to encounter wild animals that can be a risk and can attack you, but no motorcycles are allowed, so, the risk is actually zero
I've in my whole life never ever heard of any attacks by wild animals on motorcycle riders

·
American Legion Rider
25,887 Posts
Porky, we have a lovely safe country, you must come and visit and see for yourself, really no dangers in animals, as said, the human element can be more of a danger
Alas, the odd stray cattle of buck can be a danger, but never encountered a situation that could not be dealt with, I usually travel gravel and at such leisurely speed that I'm in control of any situation, after all, I travel to explore and relax
Greetings
I must still be in the 1800's but I thought South Africa had a major racial problem that did indeed make it rather unsafe. I probably got that from the media though or it was that way and has now changed but of course the media wouldn't report anything good.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
Hog - you are thinking about the early Mandela time period, early 50's I believe.

Porky - you are thinking of central Africa once again back in an earlier time period. In the area known as the Congo.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I must still be in the 1800's but I thought South Africa had a major racial problem that did indeed make it rather unsafe. I probably got that from the media though or it was that way and has now changed but of course the media wouldn't report anything good.
We still have issues that leads to protest actions
Last year we in our home town had big disruptions, it's election year and political agendas creates problems
The ruling ANC that's in power are corrupt and don't provide services
They want to stay in power and will mobilize people to make trouble
It's life and almost want to say we are used to it, live around it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts