Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! Well I'm 47 years old and 6.2 and 270 pounds. I have been riding a Honda Shadow 125cc for over a year now (4000 miles) and never dropped it or fallen.Was also riding a Yamaha YZ 250cc and 490cc in my younger days. The problem is that I need a bigger bike now because this is way to small for me and my wife.
So is it to much to jump from 125cc to a Honda VTX 1300 ?

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Moving up to a 1000cc's or better is fine, unless you have any issues connected with handling the power or weight, or both.

I certainly would give myself a season of riding it BEFORE I took any passengers (wife or otherwise), to give yourself time to be fully competent on the bike you have chosen. Even on my smaller bikes (now a 750) I didn't take any riders until I knew I could handle the bike. When you add the additional person, it is a whole other ballgame!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Soupy. No I dont have any issues with the weight or the power. I'm thinking if I have a lot of power thats ok but I dont have to use it all and ride safe. But when I need it I have it.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I don't think it would be too difficult for most people. Slow speed maneuvers are a bit more difficult on a heavier motorcycle, but with practice it can be overcome easily enough.

·
American Legion Rider
21,107 Posts
The extra weight and tipping point will be your biggest concern. Your maturity will help you with your choice. It's a great bike to give you many years of riding. I personally don't think it's a good 2 up bike however. Not without doing suspension improvements if they haven't been done.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I bought my VTX 1300 R late last fall. For me and my wife to ride two up, I'm 6'1" and just a little lighter than you. And almost 50 if that matters.

The VTX is the smoothest riding bike I have owned. They are very nice machines, if you can get a good deal on one, I say do it.

Very low center of gravity, helps.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
You're fairly tall and the VTX sits pretty low so you'll do fine.

If you're going to ride two-up for anything more than a couple hundred miles the OL won't likely like the narrow pillion. We had to stop every 50 miles or so so the wife could get the blood flowing back in her butt.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
Checking out the specs of the 1300 size VTX, I see it does not produce a whole lot of power. Heck, the new Scout produces significantly more power in a much lighter package. So, I doubt that you'll have any issues when it comes to the power of the bike. It is enough, and definitely not too much. Considering your size, I would say that this actually would be a good size bike for you. I would think that the little 125 would have felt like one of them chainsaw powered pocket rockets to you.

When you do get one, we wanna see pics!

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Buy what you plan to ride.

My wife is 5'2", and her last bike was a Harley Street Glide, she had no issues. Finances forced it's sale...
Before that she rode a Softail Deluxe, 96CI (1574cc) for 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
537 Posts
You're fairly tall and the VTX sits pretty low so you'll do fine.

If you're going to ride two-up for anything more than a couple hundred miles the OL won't likely like the narrow pillion. We had to stop every 50 miles or so so the wife could get the blood flowing back in her butt.
Seats are an important factor on a bike.
It might be hard to see here, but ours came with a mustang seat and backrest.
It is pretty comfortable for the both of us.

·
American Legion Rider
21,107 Posts
I sent mine off to MeanCityCycles. It was great after they worked on it.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
I sent mine off to MeanCityCycles. It was great after they worked on it.
Yeah, I just didn't see a whole lot of potential to make it do what we wanted with the way the width was limited, it was just one of several reasons it didn't fit "our" style of riding.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome vilberg.
If you intend to ride with a passenger you had better get them involved in the purchase. I have ridden since 1968 so experience was not my issue but when I wanted to get a new bike 2 years ago I first rode it as a demo, then took my passenger for a short test ride. If she had not signed off on my new bike I would have still been looking. You might be surprised to find how many bikes are just fine for the rider but force any passenger to suffer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts