Hey folks,

Looking to buy my first bike and I'm hesitant between the Honda CBR300 ABS
or the Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS.

Any insight?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Any insight?
Go sit on them and see if there's one you like better. It's just one of things you can't know until you do it. There's been bikes I liked on paper, but not so much after sitting on them.

I presume this your first bike? If so, have you taken the BRC?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Both bikes are suitable. The Honda is a little lighter. The Kawi comes standard with a slipper clutch, if that interests you. I like the looks of the Kawi a little better. You probably could not go wrong with either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go sit on them and see if there's one you like better. It's just one of things you can't know until you do it. There's been bikes I liked on paper, but not so much after sitting on them.

That makes sense. I'll go check them out and test drive them.

I presume this your first bike? If so, have you taken the BRC?
Correct. And yes I took the AMO riding course.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Here is the scenario l like to suggest for first bike owners.

#1 You buy a brand new CBR300 for $5300 out the door, and ride it for 2 years. Along the way you drop it at low speed one time. After 2 years, you are ready for a bigger bike, so you sell it for $3000. Net loss: -$2300

#2 You buy a 2006 Ninja 250 for $2300, and ride it for 2 years. Along the way you drop it at low speed. After 2 years you are ready for a bigger bike. You sell it for $2000.

In both of these scenarios, you are buying a similar bike; the differences in performance are such that, almost certainly, a new rider would find them to be negligible. The difference is, the amount of money you lose in scenario #1 would buy the bike from scenario #2 outright. In my opinion, the only reason to buy brand new when buying your first bike is because you are worried more about looks than becoming a capable rider. Just my $.02

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the scenario l like to suggest for first bike owners.

#1 You buy a brand new CBR300 for $5300 out the door, and ride it for 2 years. Along the way you drop it at low speed one time. After 2 years, you are ready for a bigger bike, so you sell it for $3000. Net loss: -$2300

#2 You buy a 2006 Ninja 250 for $2300, and ride it for 2 years. Along the way you drop it at low speed. After 2 years you are ready for a bigger bike. You sell it for $2000.

In both of these scenarios, you are buying a similar bike; the differences in performance are such that, almost certainly, a new rider would find them to be negligible. The difference is, the amount of money you lose in scenario #1 would buy the bike from scenario #2 outright. In my opinion, the only reason to buy brand new when buying your first bike is because you are worried more about looks than becoming a capable rider. Just my $.02

Honestly I don't really care about the looks but (although that might sound very dumb) I've had bad experiences with used cars and since I'm not good at mechanics (at all actually) - I worry trusting, 1 - A mechanic & 2 - the actual bike and whatever surprises I might get from it.

Does that make any sense?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Yeah, l hear ya. But there is no reason you can't find a good used bike. There is a thread here that gives lots of great tips on buying a used bike. What l did was made a set of rules for myself, and regularly went back to them so as to not waver from them. They were something like this...

1) I want a bike with under 10,000 miles. The only exception would be if the seller has a stack of service records to show great care.
2) I want a clean bike, never dropped, in great condition. Everything in good working order. No "simple fixes".
3) The ad should stress good care. The seller makes statements like, "Always changed oil, recently adjusted valves, good tires, etc."
4) No salvage titles, period.

You can make your own list of what you require. Be picky. One thing that is different with motorcycles from cars is the danger factor. While there are guys that ride dangerous bikes, they are generally easy to spot, and MOST riders take at least decent care of their bikes because their life depends on it. Also, ask around and see if you can find an experienced rider that would be willing to go look at a bike with you. I don't live in L.A., but if there was a newbie on my area l would be willing to help him out. There are good people that will give you a hand.

Also take into consideration that a lot of people get into motorcycling on a whim and do not stick with it. They buy a starter bike and put 800 miles on it, then sell it. This would be a great find. There are always great deals on lightly used 250 and 500 Ninjas. I see them for under $2500 all the time.

And lastly, as a motorcyclist, l believe that you owe it to yourself to learn as much as you can about your bike. You may never become a mechanic, but there will be a time when you could be stranded on the side of the road, and knowing little tidbits of info about your bike will be very handy. You are probably more capable than you think. I used to feel the same way. Then l had a female friend who said she changed her own oil. I was about 18. I was ashamed to admit that l had never changed the oil in my car. The man in me felt really small. So l learned how to do it. It is REALLY easy! Then you say, "Well, what about my air filter?" Boom, changed that. Little by little, you will learn a lot and feel great about yourself by becoming a more capable human being. The world is full of kids who can kick the crap out of a video game or do amazing things with gadgets and tablets and whatnot, but there is a shortage of people who can change their oil or plunge a toilet. Never underestimate the value of such things ;)

Okay, rant over :)

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Not a rant hawk. Pure fact. Carry on sir.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I, too, am new to street riding and had the same reservations about a used bike. I solved that issue by hiring a local motorcycle mechanic, at half of his hourly rate ($32.50), to come to my house to inspect it and take the test ride on my behalf. The bike is being brought to my house by the current owner from out of town this Monday. I was prepared to pay more, as I figure even if it's $100, it may save me a thousand...or more. Just thought I'd throw that out there since we both seem to be in the same boat. Best of luck, bud.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Where are you seeing 2006 ninjas being sold for 2000? I'd love to know haha. It seems like everywhere I see them they're like 3.5-4.5k even if they are used

1 - 13 of 13 Posts