Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BUYING MY FIRST BIKE! rented a tu250 and vulcan 500 so i decided on settling with a vlx600 and will be purchasing that sucker this weekend
its at 38k said to be purchased off a mechanic by a girl who put about 800 miles on it in three years.

i checked it out the other day it wasn't bad started up first time but it had very little gas so it wouldn't start again the second time and when i checked the inside of the gas tank it was a bit rusted.
im buying it for 1k with no past experience and im kinda doing this on my own so i wanted some advice when purchasing a used motorcycle.

Attachments

·
On The Road Again!
4,341 Posts
Gerardo, if it were me, I'd make sure that all of the rust is out of that tank before I run it again.
I made that mistake with the Honda 90 I got years ago.
Couldn't wait to get it started and run it. It ran ok at first,
and then that rust started getting into the jets in the carburetor
and that was it. Ended up buying a new carb. Never could get the original clean enough to run right again.
Clean the tank before the rust gets into the carbs!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply Offcenter!
That could be the issue with why it didn't run too well when I went to see it and not just because it was low on gas perhaps the damage has been done since the bike has been sitting for awhile. (the rust isn't terrible but its visible In the tank not on the gas cap )
ill be riding the bike to a shop ten minutes down the rode from the seller to get it looked at before purchasing It and unfortunately riding it home if I end up purchasing it.
first thing I had planned was to clean the tank when I got home and change the oil before riding it again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts