Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new here so sorry if this isn't the right place for my question. I bought a 1963 Honda trail 55 (c105t) for $400 a couple months ago. Every thing is pretty good on it considering how old it is. All I've done to it thus far is buy a air box cover, and two new o rings for the engine as there were two that were bad and leaking. It runs pretty good and looks good, other than the paint. The paint is faded in some spots. So there's red parts and orangish parts from the sun fading it. I know they are original parts because on the Orange part there was dirt so I washed it away and where there was dirt is not the red dots from where the sun couldn't fade it. For the most part the paint is in good condition, there is a few scratches and chips here and there. I hope to sell it before summer (I like to buy old mopeds and motorcycles and fixes em up a bit and sell em.) should I repaint it? I've got estimates from many shops in my area on how much it would cost. They all charge around $500. Should I do it myself? How much would the bike be worth if it's repainted and in restored condition? Because there is little to no rust on it, low miles, runs good, looks good, spedomoter works and looks amazing. Thanks in advance.

·
On The Road Again!
3,826 Posts
Wow! A Trail 55! Kinda rare!
Sorry I can't advise you on the paint.
But how about posting a picture for us to oogle?

P.S. I ride a '77 Trail 90 myself. Love those bikes!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry the pictures are bad. It's hard to see the difference in the color. But you can compare the top of the gas tank to other parts. And the seat was taken off for a new cover as the other one was pretty much duct tape. But the foam was perfect.

Attachments

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Wow nice find. Its seems to be in pretty good shape to me. On my old bikes I'll make sure they run and function as new, but I'll usually leave the patina alone. Maybe its just me, but I've found if I do have them painted up like new, I get all worried about messing them up and won't ride them as much. Imo, when a bike has survived as long as yours, its earned all its scars. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess you're right. I don't think I'll repaint it. I have a question though. Do you happen to know how much a trail 55 would go for? I got a offer about buying another. It looks to be a trail 55. But I wont know for sure till I go and check it out. It's in way better shape, it has a nice trail gear on it as well as the normal gear. the exhaust pipe is lower than mine. But hes asking $700. I know I can talk him down.

Attachments

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Another nice find. These little vintage bikes are becoming more popular these days, so people are pulling them out of sheds, and getting them running just well enough to sell them. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But you won't know what they'll need until you get them home or start riding them. I've seen non running ones selling for as little as $99 dollars, and fully restored ones selling for $5000. Not bad for a bike that cost $300 when new. ;) If it runs well, doesn't smoke and functions as it should, $700 seems like a fair price in my area. My quick checklist is to make sure the gas tank isn't rusted inside, if it runs well and doesn't smoke and both brakes function without grinding. You can check the auto clutch by stopping in some grass or gravel, and while sitting on it, push the shift lever down into first gear and hold it down, rev the engine a little, then quickly release the shift lever. If its functioning correctly it should spin the back tire. Have fun.
You meet the nicest people on old Hondas.:biggrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts