Index
Manufacturers
Honda
Nemesis Rider
Registered
Join: 21 minutes ago

3 minutes ago · #1
Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100c
Hi, guys. I own a 1998 Honda Shadow Spirit. Pre-owned, evidently garage kept and maintained. 22,000 miles. Now, the problem that I am having is that I replaced the stator and also the clutch for it after purchase, with OEM parts from Honda. I was riding one day, about two weeks later and while making a left hand turn at a stop sign, some jaggoff in his car stalled my turn. The bike shut off, and I could never get the ignition to start the bike again. The lights come on. Run-starting this heavy beast at least gets a chug, chug, chug... I don't know the problem. 1) If the solenoid is bad, will the lights still come on, as described above? Is it the stator again? Is it the starter-motor itself? EVERYONE who has solved this issue give me a ring. Summer is almost over, you're missing out on a great fellow rider and friend if you don't. —Nemesis Rider

·
Registered
212 Posts
does the engine crank.
whats the battery voltage
whats the voltage while turning the key to the start position.
are the battery connections clean and tight.
is the battery negative cable clean and tight where it attaches to the frame
does the bike have clutch, brake, and kickstand switches

·
Ace Tuner
3,477 Posts
"If the solenoid is bad, will the lights still come on, as described above?" - Yes

The lights come on but it won't start.
Not a lot to go on.

Anything more you can tell us might help here like:

Push the start button, do you hear anything?
Does it make a clicking sound?
Do the lights dim when you push the start button?

> Have you tried flipping the Engine Stop Switch a few times? Is the Engine Stop Switch in the run position?

Concerned about the stator? Does the battery appear to be up and fully charged?

Did the bike go down and fall in the lake when you had a near miss with a car......

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
Do you have a multi-meter ? or a d.c. voltmeter good for 20 volts d.c.? no? then get a tail lite bulb with socket and long leads, to test voltage.

First put battery on charger, then have it 'load tested' if it tests good, nice, Now what happens when you 'thumb starter switch? do you hear a click? I am not familiar with Honda but from experience if kill sw. or engine run sw. is OFF starter won't crank and even when pushing, you won't have ignition so, some bikes are wired so clutch must be held in and kick stand down,if these two switches fail nothing will happen,o.k. you did get her running , good so that , to me meant the engine run sw. is good. If you don't get a click from starter solenoid then the start button itself could have crapped out, if you can take assembly apart and try to jump out the switch with a piece of copper wire, if engine cranks, starter sw is bad, if nothing happens, solenoids don't last for ever, Take a long wire from bat+ and touch to smaller terminal on starter solenoid, there should be 1 terminal anyway, if there is a fuse or fuses check them, might just be a fuse protects starter solenoid control wiring, if fuses are good and still no click, take two red clamps of battery jumpers and go across the connections that go to battery and starter motor, if battery is up, starter should crank engine, U did put her in neutral right?, if starter cranks, that is good, I am thinking solenoid coil burned out. and a new one should get things going just fine, if they do go fine, put meter across battery, engine NOT running, take note of voltage or using lamp as mentioned in beginning, use that, see if it get brighter when u start the bike. still got troubles? 727-204-2767, Ray

·
Ace Tuner
3,477 Posts
And if Ray is not available:

For a Good Time, for a Good Time Call .. 8 6 7 5 309 8675309 8675309

I'm the good looking one. (NOT PICTURED)

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
Nemesis Rider EVERYONE who has solved this issue give me a ring. Summer is almost over said:
say what?

Hey Nemesis Rider, Aside from all the above, what have YOU done to fix the situation? WELL? Me and others took the time to lead you to what could get the bike going, have you followed up on any of it?

So Nemesis, what made you think you had to replace the STATOR? how soon after buying bike did you replace the stator? just because it seemed like you needed a stator, did it ever dawn on you that it might NOT be the stator? BUT maybe the R/R Rectifier/regulator? The R/R could have done one of two things, not charge the battery OR overcharge and maybe boil off the electrolyte or the stator may not have even been plugged into or wired to the R/R. SlickNick, and Semifast mentioned items to check. . .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I'm just getting back, guys. Its been a very busy and hectic week. Thank you ALL so much for all the helpful inquiries and all the advice. Since so many have responded and with similar input I'll address the matter with all of the answers here. 1) Brand new battery, fully charged. 2) When I turn the key, push the starter button—not a sound. I only get the lights on when the key is turned. 3) I changed the stator due to a previously, unrelated battery drainage issue, bit even then it always gave a little starter noise. 4) I also changed the regulator/rectifier. Thanks, guys. Any solid diagnostics, is the engine flooded by me holding the clutch and giving gas with the throttle while I was stalled from making my turn by the described car driver who cut me off? Thanks... !

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
This bike have safety interlocks? u Know gotta have clutch in and kick-stand down? if so, one of those switches if bad won't allow the starter solenoid or relay to work, so no starter. I'm thinking maybe when you had that trouble out on a ride, switch for kick-stand might have gotten muffed up. When you push started the beast, the engine run sw. was on, so that gave you the spark you needed. If you think kick stand got damaged jump out that sw.,and hold in clutch, if that was the trouble, solenoid will work and starter too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much Ray. Unfortunately, the bike doesn't have these conditional starting features on it to my knowledge, though it is possible that they once did and the previous owner may have altered these for her or his own satisfaction and convenience purposes. I'll see if the motorsports dealer where I purchased it has any input.
Something else that I might mention guys is that the engine suddenly began idling low just before the shut off while I was on the turn. Then just shut off. Thanks again, Ray. Soon as I get time off again I'll be checking those carbs and finding a plug wrench. Any more input is welcome. Thanks Everyone.

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
You are welcome Nemesis Rider, Honda is a very good brand of bike, maybe there are case histories on this model of bike, that others have had. Put in case histories for your make of bike, model and year. I hope you have very good luck and are back on 2 wheels soon !

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
Thanks so much Ray.
Something else that I might mention guys is that the engine suddenly began idling low just before the shut off while I was on the turn. Then just shut off. Thanks again, Ray. Soon as I get time off again I'll be checking those carbs and finding a plug wrench. Any more input is welcome. Thanks Everyone.
SO, Mr. Nemesis rider, are you saying that, "In the middle of a turn bike went into a low idle THEN shut off? Were you leaning the bike more than usual? were you low on Gas? and when leaning, had none going into carb.?" I think at times, things happen that might be a co-incidence maybe not really thinking about it. . .I'd put in browser make of bike, model and yr went to low idle then shut off in middle of turn. Then see what goes. Good luck!

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
SEARCH IN THE CURRENT
AND SHOW ME
Index
Manufacturers
Honda
Nemesis Rider
Registered
Join: 21 minutes ago

3 minutes ago · #1
Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100c
about two weeks later and while making a left hand turn at a stop sign, some jaggoff in his car stalled my turn. The bike shut off, and I could never get the ignition to start the bike again. The lights come on. Run-starting this heavy beast at least gets a chug, chug, chug... I don't know the problem. 1) If the solenoid is bad, will the lights still come on, as described above? Is it the
Hello Nemesis rider, so I take it you are saying, "Bike starts by pushing it?" If yes then you are getting ignition. I think that what you mean is, "can't start bike with starter. when key is 'ON' power goes to engine run sw. power then goes to ignition and START circuits. It might be that the starter sw, crapped out then when you got cut off by a drunk. . .one of those weird things.
If you can, open up assembly on right hand-grip, see if you can take a piece of wire and jump out the 'START' contacts. if they are bad starter sol. will work, so will starter, when sw. is jumped or by-passed.

If Solenoid still does NOT work, keep starter sw. shunted or by-passed an look for voltage at skinny wire that hooks to solenoid, this works the coil in solenoid that brings heavy contacts together. Put bike in neutral and jump from bat+ or hvy wire TO solenoid, to terminal for skinny wire, this should work the solenoid.

If not I'd say that solenoid probably burned out when you started bike, took out for ride, got tangled with a drunk.
You may have had a little trouble getting bike to start, maybe not. In either case though, you have to have a terminal that connects solenoid coil to 12 volts+ .

Make sure solenoid frame is making good contact with bike frame, as that is how other end of coil is grounded. 727-204-2767 if you want to give me a holler, if I don't pick up leave # and say it's about bike, and I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, Ray,

Yes, the running start gave it a little chug, chug, chug, but the bike is so heavy and for lack of a good hill, I couldn't get it to turn over all the way. No prob. I'm going to take your advice and hit the bypass with wire and with that method make sure it isn't the starter motor.
Nope. It wasn't the "lean", on the mean machine, nothing out of the ordinary. I'll send you an update in a few days on the results. I'm running a very tight business schedule until then. Thanks so much for your support, and again, Everybody who posted insight. All of it was really valuable. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Found nothing, Ray, in the search for sustainable issues on the model/year of bike. Just a bunch of other guys searching for something and getting to know a wonderful bike in the process, for themselves, for enthusiasm, and most importantly—for better riding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
does the engine crank.
  1. is the battery negative
  2. does the engine crank.
    is the battery negative cable clean and tight where it attaches to the frame
    does the bike have clutch, brake, and kickstand switches
  3. tight where it attaches to the frame
does the bike have clutch, brake, and kickstand swi
tches
okay I push the start button on a fully charged battery and volts drop to 7 or 8 when I just turn the key on 125 12 7 on the volts good headlight running lights with the key on brand new battery I cleaned the starter button switch and connection

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Hey Wizard, it would sure be nice and appreciated, if you would introduced yourself to the community in the New Member Introduction forum. Folks tend to open up more if they believe they know someone just a little bit. 👍

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
okay I push the start button on a fully charged battery and volts drop to 7 or 8 when I just turn the key on 125 12 7 on the volts good headlight running lights with the key on brand new battery I cleaned the starter button switch and connection
Could be a bad starter or solenoid, with a good fully charged battery, The voltage should not drop
to 7 or 8 maybe 9. something is shorted for sure. Does it have solenoid sitting on top of starter and
pulls starter pinion gear into engine gear or is solenoid mounted elsewhere but electrically between
bat and starter? I'd try to jump out the solenoid and see if the starter will still work

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
Thanks, Ray,

Yes, the running start gave it a little chug, chug, chug, but the bike is so heavy and for lack of a good hill, I couldn't get it to turn over all the way. No prob. I'm going to take your advice and hit the bypass with wire and with that method make sure it isn't the starter motor.
Nope. It wasn't the "lean", on the mean machine, nothing out of the ordinary. I'll send you an update in a few days on the results. I'm running a very tight business schedule until then. Thanks so much for your support, and again, Everybody who posted insight. All of it was really valuable. Thanks.
Hey man, always glad to help a fellow or lady rider, the offer still stands, when a guy/gal gets a ride, they start to
have a real interest in what's going on under them. take care!
Ray'sSporty1200

1 - 20 of 22 Posts