Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the idea of the Honda shadow. It hits all of my interests except one thing. I want mid controls or at least a mid foot pedal. The Bolt has the Mid pedal but its air cooled. I want liquid cooled. So my question is.. Can I mod a mid foot pedal on the shadow or is there a better option for me that is in the 6-9k dollar range? This will be my first bike and No I do not want a rebel. :)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
How tall are you? The saddle on a 750 Shadow is lower, if you move the pegs rearward and don't change the saddle height, that might not work so good. You'd have to raise your saddle too, maybe even change the bars too, the bolt doesn't have pull backs. Yamaha gave the Bolt near standard ergonomics compared to the Shadow. If you include standard motorcycles in your search you will have a lot more options.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How tall are you? The saddle on a 750 Shadow is lower, if you move the pegs rearward and don't change the saddle height, that might not work so good. You'd have to raise your saddle too, maybe even change the bars too, the bolt doesn't have pull backs. Yamaha gave the Bolt near standard ergonomics compared to the Shadow. If you include standard motorcycles in your search you will have a lot more options.

Im 5'6, a short guy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yeah nut all of the standard bikes look out dated.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Ok Ok, I boiled it down to the Suzuki SV650
First, second or third generation? They've been making them for a while.

Motorcycle repairs are All expensive unless you do it yourself, mechanics charge an easy hundred bucks an hour on top of parts that are marked up 300% relative to the bikes original price tag.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good bike for sure, I much prefer the MT-07 though.......wow quite a change from a cruiser. LOL
So things have changed again. I'm looking at the Honda CB650. The foot controls are neutral and at the same time It feels good and comfortable so it wont have me pulling over to rest every 15 min. Comfort and fun are both important to me so the Shadow as well as the CBRR are out. The CB650 seems to be a happy medium. The problem now it that I cannot find one in my area besides one that wants to charge me 7% apr.. Heck no. Im on a list for one that will give me 1.9% and as soon as its in I hope to pull the trigger. Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
:unsure: Is this your first ever motorcycle
You do realize they only offer below prime financing rates on product they can't otherwise move easy, right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:unsure: Is this your first ever motorcycle
You do realize they only offer below prime financing rates on product they can't otherwise move easy, right?
I do not realize that because they offered me 1.9% on a bike that they cannot even keep in inventory. I am on a waiting list for 1.9%apr.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I do not realize that because they offered me 1.9% on a bike that they cannot even keep in inventory. I am on a waiting list for 1.9%apr.
They have a waiting list for financing on a motorcycle they can't get? Why don't they just give you the cash loan at 1.9% and then you can buy anything you want :unsure:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
8,954 Posts
"This will be my first bike---" Quote.

Better check a few things before you try to buy a bike.

If this is your first bike, any lender or insurance agent will ask to see your certificate from an accredited MSF school. All will ask to see your Motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license.

Finance rates are typically much-much higher for a NEW rider because of increased liability and probability of a Crash!

Many insurance companies won't even insure a new rider and if they do it can be really expensive, again because of liability.

Choose your bike wisely. An MT09 may just kill you very quickly because they are very wheelie prone and very powerful and fast. The CBR650 is also too fast for a new rider and the SV650 is also a race bike in drag although not very fast. The Honda Shadow comes in all kinds of config's and probably will be a great bike to learn on as they are cheap and reliable.

Sam:)

·
Banned
2,413 Posts
"This will be my first bike---" Quote.

Better check a few things before you try to buy a bike.

If this is your first bike, any lender or insurance agent will ask to see your certificate from an accredited MSF school. All will ask to see your Motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license.

Finance rates are typically much-much higher for a NEW rider because of increased liability and probability of a Crash!

Many insurance companies won't even insure a new rider and if they do it can be really expensive, again because of liability.

Choose your bike wisely. An MT09 may just kill you very quickly because they are very wheelie prone and very powerful and fast. The CBR650 is also too fast for a new rider and the SV650 is also a race bike in drag although not very fast. The Honda Shadow comes in all kinds of config's and probably will be a great bike to learn on as they are cheap and reliable.

Sam:)
SV650 is a race bike but not very fast.......ok

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,162 Posts
SV650 is a race bike but not very fast.......ok
You missed the in drag part!. I assume that means it looks the part but isn't.

Reactions: Porky
1 - 20 of 21 Posts