Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a simple question . I hope.

I do a weekly check for brake lights and turn signals etc. as part of driving safety. I noticed my rear brake lights light up with the rear brake pedal but intermittently with the right hand brake.

Do I need to take apart and clean the brake handle mechanism, replace or is the issue somewhere else?

Want to go simple before I dig in.

Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just opened up my throttle housing on my 1988 Shadow 600 to lube the cables and found the inside was filled with what appeared to be a "mud-dobber's" nest. It was actually dust that had gotten inside from a small hole on the bottom over the years and caked up as solid as a rock. I cleaned it out with a metal pick, Q-tips and toothpicks plus a lot of WD-40. I don't know if this is your problem but it's worth opening up the housing just to see.

After I finished cleaning everything and putting it back together, I put a piece of Gorilla duct tape over the hole that let the dust in. Anyway, the only tool I needed to open it up was a J.I.S. (improved Phillips) head screwdriver.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.