Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is in storage for the winter and besides replacement of tires and tubes I have to repair my seat and do not want to spend $100s.

Over the years the seat cushion sank pulled on the cover, seam and opened it up. The seat cover is in good condition. It was suggested to have a upholsterer or shoe repair person address the open seam.

My question. Is there a company that sells the cushion that fits, maybe one to cut out and what material is my cushion?

I know how to remove seat and seat cover( stapled in) but foam appears glued in.

Thanks

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Years ago, while working for a company in town, I used to spend my Lunch Breaks at the company next door to us. The fella who owned and ran that business was an intriguing character, and I found his business fascinating!

He owned and was the sole operator of an automobile upholstery business.

There was a constant flow of cars of all different types, coming to him for seat re upholstery and new rag tops. I learned a great deal, as he would allow me to put my hands on the projects, (which was a help to him as well).

That said, your description of your seat issue brought me right back to that shop (the guy that owned it is now deceased, and the business is closed; had I had the money, I might have bought that business and run it myself. He made a steady income from it).

Yes, the foam WOULD be glued to the seat base. I would think you, like most others, might find it easier in the long run to simply re-order a new seat. You have the "winter" to get it to the house.

On the other hand, to reconstruct the seat you have, you should visit a local Upholstery shop and get a hunk of foam that you can carve down (over and over again, to my own amazement, that's what I saw THIS fella doing; taking a typically sharp utility knife, and simply shaving away at the foam, until it conformed to the base he had glued it to, and the shape he was after overall) to the shape you need; strip off the old foam (if it's compromised and not useable) and clean off the glue residue.

Depending on the style of seat you want, your next step would be to sew side pieces to the seat portion, unless you are going to do the seat as "one piece."

The sewing of sides on the seat, would allow you to be a bit more rough in the forming of the foam, since the foam will conform to the sewn cover, and you can force the shape with seams. Keep in mind that if you DO "sew" sides on, rather than do a one-piece seat, you will need an INDUSTRIAL sewing machine for the leather you would typically use as seat material. DO NOT use the wife's sewing machine!!!!!!!!!

Re-glue the new foam, and form it as desired, and then use your chosen fabric to cover (re-stapling).

Not complicated; not rocket science...........just a rebuild.

-Soupy

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Type of Foam on Honda Shadow seat

Anyone know what a 2003 Honda Shadow seat foam is made of?

Closed, open foam, neoprene, layers, etc?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts