Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my 750 sort of hesitates if I give it the full throttle like when I'm trying to pass a car. Say my throttle subjectively would says
70 mph, well for 2-3 seconds my bike says "Let's just stay here at 60". It protests and barks, "I'm staying right here".

Then it breaks through and is fine. All I did was look at my battery, removing the little shelf above the battery...I could have disturbed some wires? I was trying to be careful but 'maybe'?

Also I changed my air filter but after this happened put the old air filter back in from when the bike was fine. It didn't help, the problem persisted.

It doesn't lurch or jerk when it 'recovers'. It just hesitates then breaks through. BTW it's a 2004 w. 7400 miles and I've had zero problems with it since acquiring it with 4575 miles on it.

Thanks for any suggestions/insights!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,260 Posts
How old is the gas in it? If it isn't old try running some Seafoam through it. Double the recommended amount. See if that helps it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've now put 2500 miles on it and the original owner babied it, had a full garage/workbenches/tools so it was in real good shape. I ran 4 tanks with SeaFoam just to tune it up a bit a month ago but this wasn't an issue. I may put more in there.

It was precipitated by me fooling around, however tamely with the battery compartment and putting in a new air filter which I replaced again with the old air filter (With which there wasn't a problem). It didn't help, the problem persists beyond the air filter.

·
13,260 Posts
Check all the connections in the intake system. Make sure all the clamps are tight. Check the vacuum lines, maybe you knocked something loose. Check everything in the area you were working.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This seems to no longer be an issue! I had such a great day riding and the bike was peppy and ready to rock! My clutch cable had been slowly stretch as the friction zone was like the last 15% of the lever release. Normally it engaged like 40% out from the grip. I entertained carb issues and clutch isses, maybe the plates need replacing. But thinking simple-to-complex I listened to lhis fella who said most slippage problems seem to be the clutch cable. (
) 2:30
I loosened the cable via the cable adjustment screw and the locknut and now the friction zone was back in the middle. That's nice but would it translate to a peppier bike that I could push wiithout it hesitating? YES!!! I don't know how or s why this is so but I pushed it all day and off it went obediently! Did a stretched cable mean that there was some sloppiiness in 'telling' the clutch to fully engage at high RPMs? I don't really understand it but it's fixed and I'm real happy I didn't have to dig deeper. I thought I'd let you know. Thanks for your undying advice!!

·
13,260 Posts
With the friction zone out at the end of the available movement zone there was more than likely some slippage. Wet clutches such as a motorcycle are designed to allow slippage and not like a dry clutch that wears quickly if you allow it it slip. That is why proper clutch adjustment is so important on a motorcycle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts