Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

My GF is complaining of a sore bee-hind, when riding longer than 30 min on it.
Are there any better passenger seats available that could mount on the Honda Rebel?

I think a bit wider seat would be more comfy.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
Not sure bout that, but...I went with a butt buffer on my sportbike n it really helped.
I am recouping from a back fusion, so actually bout another to make it double thick Polymer gel to cushion them bumps later.

http://www.buttbuffer.com/products/

I went with a Pebble Polymer in small last year to fit my seat.
Then this year went with a Classic in Medium.
I bought mine off ebay n went with deals.....
Anyway i have what feels like a good inch of nice soft jello feeling toosh cush......LOL

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
Yes.....
A friend has one n it felt to squirmy on my sportbike.
It felt fine on his cruiser saddle type seat tho.
Squirmy isn't a good thing in twisty's at 60-80 MPH...

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
That probly depend on the bike.
I ordered a Medium classic for my rear seat for the wife when doubleup.
These are not really a custom kinda thing anyway, and u just get one that does the best it can.
The medium does fit my driver seat quite well, but nothing is going to really fit the pillion on a Ninja 650.
But it sure will be better to sit on then that stock piece of crap it has now.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
corbin.com makes a seat, front and back, for a Rebel, about $350. Corbin has good reputation, I never had one.

saddlemen.com makes a Comfy seat, looks like a throw over saddlebag that adds several inches width to the back seat, about $100. I never had this item, but I've had 2 saddlemen seats, I would guess this does as advertised.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I use an Airhawk II on both my seat and my passenger seat. The key is to not overinflate the cushion. You put in just as little air as it takes to keep your butt just off the seat surface. The Airhawk II is a lot less expensive than the original, and seems to work just fine for my wife and myself.

Another solution might be to look into a larger bike with a better suspension. The Rebel is an awfully small and lightweight bike for one person, let alone two.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The AirHawk, is no good on a ? ***** Pad ? like on the back of a rebel.
also the AirHawk adds a fair bit of height, to an already precarious seat.

For long journeys, there is only one answer, re design the whole seat.
Ok for not so far's, then yes I would also go with the smallest of the ButtBuffer pads.
They stick well to the substrate, and are filled with dense goop, so they probably only add about 10 mm to the existing seat.
I have a short legged woman, and she is happy with the ButtBuffer.
We tried Sheepskin, but its marginally better than the factory seat, and takes days, to dry, after a thunderstorm.

OK, I just checked their web site, and its a bit messed up now.
Back when I bought mine, they had a page that showed the different sizes, but also, back then there was only one !
Dunno wot that pebble dash is, but if they went back to the early page, where folk could see the different sizes, on actual saddles, it would help a lot.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I disagree about the thickness of the Airhawk on a stock seat. By putting in the right amount, and no more, of air, your butt is maybe a quarter of an inch higher than without it. Another advantage of the Airhawk is that it does allow some air circulation UNDER your butt which makes for a much cooler and more comfortable ride in summer weather. I've tried sheepskin, Beadrider, a gel cushion, and on previous bikes bought new saddles (such as from Corbin which was expensive and took forever to break in) and I think the Airhawk is the best solution I have found so far to an uncomfortable stock saddle.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
And that !
Is why we have such a diverse & interesting forum !:71baldboy:

However, you seem to be talking about a rider & saddle, as opposed to the tiny pad on the back of a Rebel.
The passenger will not have any Air Movement benefit, due to the rider blocking it all.
Talking about the Honda Rebel , I mean !

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I admit that I would never have considered the Rebel for two-up riding.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Thank you. I pretty much limit myself to Jack Daniel's Old #7. Just for medicinal purposes.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
The AirHawk, is no good on a ? ***** Pad ? like on the back of a rebel.
also the AirHawk adds a fair bit of height, to an already precarious seat.

For long journeys, there is only one answer, re design the whole seat.
Ok for not so far's, then yes I would also go with the smallest of the ButtBuffer pads.
They stick well to the substrate, and are filled with dense goop, so they probably only add about 10 mm to the existing seat.
I have a short legged woman, and she is happy with the ButtBuffer.
We tried Sheepskin, but its marginally better than the factory seat, and takes days, to dry, after a thunderstorm.

OK, I just checked their web site, and its a bit messed up now.
Back when I bought mine, they had a page that showed the different sizes, but also, back then there was only one !
Dunno wot that pebble dash is, but if they went back to the early page, where folk could see the different sizes, on actual saddles, it would help a lot.
The Pebble Polymer has better air flow then the ones with a material cover.
That's what i used last year, but after having a lower back fusion i wanted to double the cushioning so went with a Classic Butt Buffer in medium to go over the Pebble so i get double butt buffering...LOL
NNnn it does sure feel nice when sitting on the bike....
Like Jello...........
N it doesn't seem to have any like slide around actions.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
My GF and I are pretty light weight.
I'm 170, she is 130, and the suspension is set to 3 out of 5, and never feels bottomed out.
We don't go fast.

Corbin.com looks good, but they mention something about no back support possible?
I have a sissybar installed for her.

Saddlemen.com does not seem to have a Rebel 250 seat listed.

Airhawk, I'm more looking for a permanent fix solution. don't want to be lugging the cushion everywhere.
Over here people steal everything, helmets, and cushions included.

I'd really like to see gel pads, or something, which can mount to these kind of seats.
I've tried a towel, which somewhat improves seating, but still not comfy enough. the rebel's rear seat is only about 7in wide.
It feels more comfy sitting on a toilet seat than on the rebel's passenger seat!

I'm quite content about the stock seat for the rider, of the Rebel.
Feels like an air cushion, pretty comfy for me for anything below 3-4 hours ride.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'd agree the Corbin does look better, but that's only from looking at a picture on the internet. Do you think a back rest would help?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts