Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm torn. I owned a PCX125 and it wouldn't do sufficient speeds to go a couple of exits on an in-town freeway. Despised the seat, the ridiculous gas filler door, and ignition lock so low a person 5'8" or above couldn't even bend down to see where to stick the freakin' key.

The PCX150...25 more cc...reportedly WILL do an honest 68mph. At least at sea level, on the flats.

And it's 250? 300? pounds lighter than the new Yamaha S-Max.

The PCX was easy to throw around, park up on the curb, split lanes, roll around a garage, etc. A real bantam-weight.

In addition, the dealers are GOUGING the @#$ out of customers for the new S-Max due to short supply. All sorts of nonsense add-on charges, etc.

The S-max, however, has a gas cap that's reasonable, easy to use, the seat is MORE than an inch higher off the ground, meaning the bike isn't designed STRICTLY for midgets, and reviews are very favorable.

Top speed, via GPS, is reportedly 72mph, not the 78 indicated. Again, sea level...they put the journos on them in San Diego...

$2000 for a nice condition 013 PCX150 vs over $4000 out the door for a brand spanking new S-Max. (never owned a new bike....nor suffered hideous depreciation...)

What say you?

·
6,503 Posts
I sat on a new Yamaha S-max at a Powersports dealer yesterday and it felt good for a small scooter. I didn't ask the price as I was looking for a new Burgman 650 or a new 600 Silverwing.

I was disappointed that all the dealer had was the little 50cc thru 200cc scooters. I really doubt if they will re-stock their stores anytime soon since it's not the season at least in the mid-west for stretbikes/ scoot sales. (14 degrees and 5 wind chill factor this morning)

Selling massive amounts of 4 wheel ATV's and side by sides is what it's all about now. The only new Maxi-scooters for 2015 is the Burgman 400 and 650's. No more Majesty 400's or T-max or even the 600 Silverwing.

I guess the scooter experiment is over in the states now that fuel prices are down, like right now @ $1.84 per gallon for 87. When it was $4 per gl, that's when the scooter's were really selling.

Anyone want a primo 2013 Kymco Xciting 500RI ABS for a great price?

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
About 30 years ago I had a Honda 150cc scooter, and it was more fun that I can explain. It could go on the highway for short distances, had great storage room, and was so light and easy to handle and park that I found I rode it at least as much as my cruiser at the time. I clicked on this thread because I am thinking about once again getting a scooter as a second "bike" for running around in town. I love my 800 pound Triumph Thunderbird with all the touring add-ons, but sometimes I hesitate to get it out of the garage and ready just to run across town for something at Home Depot. Remembering what fun the scooter was got me thinking that it might really be the solution. Either that or a really small and lightweight motorcycle.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Been riding a Yamaha BWS125 since Jan 2014 (got new). Two weeks ago i was getting oil change at dealer. They offered the Smax for a test ride while i waited. The result of that is i picked up a 2015 Smax today.

Fantastic bike, build quality is excellent. Bike is fast and handles really well. Suspension smooths out bumps better than the BWS. Yamaha has hit a home run with this bike. Love the new bike smell.

the only bad of the day was during the move from warehouse the dealer put a big scratch in the front fender. It was pointed out to me right away and was told a new fender has been ordered.

some pix

(bikes: 2014 Honda NC750S - 2015 Yamaha S Max)

·
Premium Member
6,548 Posts
Cool

Downtown Vancouver near Chinatown. Pix taken at UBC
I used to work at 720 East Hastings. Fuzzy Funnell BMW, then Pacific Cycle where I worked, then Korkan Kawasaki. All on Hastings.
Deeley on Broadway, and a Triumph dealer on West Broadway, and closer to UBC was Amor Bultaco and a couple of other brands. DT Vancouver was Johan Honda.

The grassy area looked like Cambie Street.
We will be down town Vancouver early next week, as soon as we find the address for the propeller shop.
Bellingham is closer than Vancouver, when we are out in white Rock.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
94 Posts
looks like you worked at a lot of places. love doing a rip around UBC because of the higher speed roads around it. Rode out to Burnaby Kawasaki today. Looked at the Vulcan S. Nice looking bike. Picked up some Bohn CE armored shorts while there.

As for the S MAX. Loving that bike. It rides fantastic, more like a sport bike. It sounds like a bigger bike as well. One thing that stands out is the front lighting. I have noticed cars that would have pulled out in front of me from side streets etc, wait for me to go past now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been riding a Yamaha BWS125 since Jan 2014 (got new). Two weeks ago i was getting oil change at dealer. They offered the Smax for a test ride while i waited. The result of that is i picked up a 2015 Smax today.

Fantastic bike, build quality is excellent. Bike is fast and handles really well. Suspension smooths out bumps better than the BWS. Yamaha has hit a home run with this bike. Love the new bike smell.

the only bad of the day was during the move from warehouse the dealer put a big scratch in the front fender. It was pointed out to me right away and was told a new fender has been ordered.

some pix
QUOTE]
Hello skyway,
New here - my 1st post.
A question re. the Yamaha S Max.....what do you have for servicing intervals per the owner's manual, or shop manual?
What is done at the first service; when is it; if not being rude - what is the $ of that first service.
How difficult is it to get at and perform the valve lash check?(as you may know, the PCX valves are a nightmare to get at - leading most owners to skip this procedure until they hear some bad noises.~!)

A lot of scooter owners do most of their own servicing (I do, on both of mine) - so ease of service and parts avail. are pretty important issues for our purchase.
Thanks much
Forza14

·
Registered
94 Posts
hello Forza14. Service on the Smax is 1000km first service. Oil change/ check over fasteners etc / valve check.

Yamaha has done an excellent job engineering this bike. They really thot out maintenance. The spark plug and valve access is super easy. take out 4 screws to remove panel and boom its right there. I have had bikes where you have to take the whole bike apart to get at things like this. Really impressed with this.

i will probably do my own oil btwn services. For break in i like to change at 500km.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts