Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am new to biking and working on bike. I am having a hard time finding out why my idle is so high on my 2007 Honda vtx 1300c. My bike was fine other than needing a carb rebuild. So I pulled the carb myself and cleaned it, reinstalled it and at first attempt, I blew out the oil deal at the transmission shaft because I accidentally hooked up the engine breather hose to a dead end, so it couldn't breathe. So I fixed those issues. Now, I start it up and it idles extremely high. I didn't have this issue before or even when I hooked the breather hose up wrong. Any suggestions??

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
This'll sound stupid at face value, but let's eliminate the obvious for starters............

Does this particular bike have a manual choke? Is it engaged?

Also, with regard to the Carb.......was it seated in a rubber boot with clamps? If so, are you sure the boot is fully seated?

Let's start there, and move forward.

-Soupy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This'll sound stupid at face value, but let's eliminate the obvious for starters............

Does this particular bike have a manual choke? Is it engaged?

Also, with regard to the Carb.......was it seated in a rubber boot with clamps? If so, are you sure the boot is fully seated?

Let's start there, and move forward.

-Soupy

Yes it has a choke. The choke is not engaged. When it is engaged, the idle gets much more higher.
The carb does attach to a boot. I tightened it up when initially installed, but I will double check the boot is still secure.

The bike does have an idle screw. I have the idle set to the lowest it can be adjusted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where is the air mixture screw set?
It's located on the Back end of the carb where it connects to the boot. It takes a special honda tool to adjust it. I don't have the tool. That's the only part I did not remove when I rebuilt the carb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That could be clogged up.
Well I solved the biggest issue. I found that a vacuum hose came disconnected when I installed the gas tank. Now she runs around 1100-1200 rpms at idle, which is still a bit high, but a lot better than what it was. But now she's burning up fuel like a kid and candy. Would that be the A/F mixture? It spits a little when it's running. Does not back fire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey all, I am new to biking and working on bike. I am having a hard time finding out why my idle is so high on my 2007 Honda vtx 1300c. My bike was fine other than needing a carb rebuild. So I pulled the carb myself and cleaned it, reinstalled it and at first attempt, I blew out the oil deal at the transmission shaft because I accidentally hooked up the engine breather hose to a dead end, so it couldn't breathe. So I fixed those issues. Now, I start it up and it idles extremely high. I didn't have this issue before or even when I hooked the breather hose up wrong. Any suggestions??
if it was fine before you worked on it the likelihood is theres a vac leak.
I use propane to find vac leaks on my car.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I use carb cleaner to find a vac leak.

The VTX 1300 is suppose to idle @ 900 +/- 100 according to the manual.

I got my A/F adjustment tool here:

http://www.glensvtxgarage.com/

These are good guys to talk too, there are a couple of sticky's that might help you out.

http://www.vtxcafe.com/forum.php

Basic trouble shooting 101. Go back to when the problem started. If you removed the carb to clean it, repeat your steps.

It takes these bike FOREVER to warm-up. Keep that in mind.

(Make sure your throttle cable is not binding)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts