Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery is completely dead and I replaced the gasoline with fresh, I connected my car with cables to it and everything looks fine, the starter turning the engine but it das not starting.
When I press the starter I hear a noise under the seat like a ''TAK'' that I do not remember it before... I'm thinking it may has to do with the current coming from the car...

Any ideas how to make it work?
Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carb cleaning
hornets 900s are injection

I think the problem has to do with the noise under the seat, like a ''tak''
because it does not even sounds like is going to start, as soon as I release the start button the engine stops turning immediately ... this is not how this bike behaves

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ha, i got 600 thought it is carb,
Try to open the injector and see if he does fuel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
If the cable is good, and you hear strong starter. It is not the problem.
If it is slow and weak it can be maybe the problem

The “tak” is the starter relay, maybe you didnt hear it before cuz the engine was turning on immediately

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the cable is good, and you hear strong starter. It is not the problem.
If it is slow and weak it can be maybe the problem

The “tak” is the starter relay, maybe you didnt hear it before cuz the engine was turning on immediately

I have to unplug the injectors and have them hanging and then press the starter to see if they inject fuel?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Turn on the switch. Then the injectors should inject fuel ,
U can also do as u said

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the injectors are working then fuel pump, electrical and the injectors themselves are good, what else can it be?

i'm asking in advance because I have limited tries to get the bike, is 60 kilometers away and every time I have to turn back home when gets dark...

·
Registered
26 Posts
1. If u have a choke, make sure that u open it.
2. Make sure ur plugs are good and sparking.
3. On the way at this point you can take with u carb cleaner spray and spray it to the cylinder threw the plug hole to help the engine turn on .
4. Make sure ur cables are good and try to remove the motorcycle battery and connect the cables directly to the cables of the motorcycle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1) it has choke and it was open
2) I could buy a polymeter device but i really don't know how to use it, how else can i test spark?
4) I did not try that........ the battery of the bike was always connected and the cables from the car was on its poles

·
Registered
26 Posts
U just need to remove the plugs and watch if u can see a spark.. also try when its close to the chassis..

It will be cheaper to you just buy 4 new spark plugs, (10$?)
And also with them make sure it spark

4. Its just a little option that maybe would help.

·
Moderator - Motorcycle Repair, Building, Restore
3,874 Posts
I was recently jumpstarting a dead battery and it did the same thing...clicking instead of turning over. I let the truck run and left the cables on for ten minutes so the bike battery could get more juice and it finally did start.

On a separate note, is the battery toast or can it be charged? If it's toast, why not go buy a new one? You'll need one anyway.

·
Ace Tuner
2,584 Posts
On a separate note, is the battery toast or can it be charged? If it's toast, why not go buy a new one? You'll need one anyway.
If the battery is bad enough it will drain enough of the supplied voltage so that the ignition system is robbed of enough voltage for reliable starting.
But...
If the bike was put away for TWO years with fuel in the fuel rail / injectors then your injectors are probably plugged with old, bad fuel.
FYI,
The motorbike charging system can not handle the amperage an auto charging system puts out so you should not have the auto running w/jumper cables hooked up to the motorbike.

S F

Reactions: Stablefull

·
3,874 Posts
If the battery is bad enough it will drain enough of the supplied voltage so that the ignition system is robbed of enough voltage for reliable starting.
But...
If the bike was put away for TWO years with fuel in the fuel rail / injectors then your injectors are probably plugged with old, bad fuel.
FYI,
The motorbike charging system can not handle the amperage an auto charging system puts out so you should not have the auto running w/jumper cables hooked up to the motorbike.

S F
I have heard this, but have never had a problem. Is it okay to jump from another bike? Or should you just charge the battery?

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,711 Posts
Bike to bike should be fine. I think you were ok letting the vehicle run, with cable to motorcycle battery to charge battery, if the ignition on the bike was off. But best to turn off vehicle before turning on ignition key on the bike.

·
3,874 Posts
Bike to bike should be fine. I think you were ok letting the vehicle run, with cable to motorcycle battery to charge battery, if the ignition on the bike was off. But best to turn off vehicle before turning on ignition key on the bike.
I did turn the ignition off while it was charging, so the headlight wasn't wasting juice. But when I cranked it over I left the truck running as well.

·
Ace Tuner
2,584 Posts
Yes, with the vehicle running and the bike's ignition switch in the off position the only possible risk would be to the bike's battery from maybe (?) overcharging.
But the truck's charging system could overload the rec/reg on the bike (and let the smoke out of it) if the bike's ignition switch is in the on position w/truck running. It doesn't always pop the rec/reg but it sure could.
Totally safe to jump any 12 V battery, by itself, to any 12 V battery.

S F

·
3,874 Posts
Yes, with the vehicle running and the bike's ignition switch in the off position the only possible risk would be to the bike's battery from maybe (?) overcharging.
But the truck's charging system could overload the rec/reg on the bike (and let the smoke out of it) if the bike's ignition switch is in the on position w/truck running. It doesn't always pop the rec/reg but it sure could.
Totally safe to jump any 12 V battery, by itself, to any 12 V battery.

S F
Good to know, thank you

·
American Legion Rider
22,195 Posts
And furthermore, you may not see any damage immediately but could have problems 3 or 6 months down the road and won't remember you may have damaged some components earlier. You might be okay on a Goldwing because that's almost a car anyway.:)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts