Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,

i'm looking at a honda CX500 for my first bike. i have talked to many people i know that ride bikes, i wanted to buy a bike the day i turned 16, but i took most of their advice and have been driving for a couple years (i'm now 18). i'd like to get a bike to learn on for now, and then move to something bigger when i feel i am ready. anybody have any comments about these bikes? what sort of problems to look for? this bike is only about $500, there's a little bit of
smoke coming from the exhaust, but i don't think it's anything i can't
fix (i am mechanically inclined, and have rebuilt a few car engines, even a friends old nighthawk, and if something is beyond my capabilities, i have friends who are just as capable and willing to help). its just an idea, and im starting to look. but this is what im looking for: a cheap bike that i can work on that needs some TLC, and no more than 500cc (this was also suggested to me, no more than 500 to start). I live out in the country and that is where i will be primarily be riding during the canadian spring to early fall to and from school and work. so any comments on this type of bike, or any suggestions for other bikes would be great.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
For $500, even if the bike needs quite a bit of work, I think that's a good deal. Especially if you can do the needed work on your own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For $500, even if the bike needs quite a bit of work, I think that's a good deal. Especially if you can do the needed work on your own.
ya i'm just wondering how easy parts are to find for these bikes. are they fairly common? or do parts from other bikes work?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Check availability of parts. If you are able and willing to do some work, the only way you can go wrong on a $500 bike is if the parts are unavailable or unreasonably priced.

As with cars you have to watch out for cumulative repair costs. An overhaul for the engine is fine if that's all there is, but if you also need tires - brakes - chain and sprocket - clutch work - electrical tweaks - missing body parts - exhaust then it can get to the point where you're better off looking for something else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts