Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming off my first bike, a ninja 650r, I'm wanting to make the transition to a more comfortable but fun cruiser. I'm 6'2 260 so I need something I can be more stretched out on. I'm liking the Honda fury and Suzuki Boulevard m109r, any suggestions or opinions? I'll be riding to work sometimes, for fun others.

G

·
Welcome from Minnesota! I don't know much about the Honda Fury so I can't really answer any questions about it. I have heard it is fun to ride, comfortable, and dependable but that's all I know about it. I have never rode one.

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
You might want to do some checking on m109r transmission problems. I've come across mention of it a few times during casual web browsing, so I don't know how common it is. Just something you might want look into.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
The transmission problems are mostly gone on the 2009 and newer. Same with the clutch problems. I know for a fact that there is a forum that has one of the top mechanics for the 109 on it, and he does custom work at very reasonable prices, including a transmission rebuild that will never fail again.

It all depends on if you want to go fast (for a cruiser) or just go. I had an M109R and loved it. Went to Victory last July and now am looking to go back to the 109. The 109 is a muscle cruiser and the Fury is just a small bike that is reliable and fun to ride around town.

I have nothing against Honda, but if I had those two to pick from, it would be the 109 without a second look.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
When I was looking for a larger cruiser than what I had been riding, an 865cc Triumph America, I looked at the line of 1300cc Honda's. A demo ride turned out to be very disappointing. I was amazed at the LACK of power from the 1300cc engine, and the tiller type handlebars did not make for good handling. I ended up buying a larger Triumph, the Thunderbird, with a 1600cc engine. This is one really comfortable bike (with the Long Haul seat) and with leather bags, a detachable windscreen, passenger backrest and luggage rack, floorboards front and back plus some other smaller mods it is a great all around ride and more than strong enough for all day two up riding). With 6 gears it is smooth and quiet at highway speeds (cruising at 80+, two up, the tach showed just over 3,000 RPM and redline is not until 6,500). The only thing it lacks that I wish it offered is a true electronic cruise control (I use a Kaoka throttle lock which does the job). ABS is standard and eliminates my concern that someday I might panic brake. Belt drive is as smooth as shaft drive, in my opinion, and requires no routine maintenance as does chain drive.

If you have a Triumph dealer anywhere near you, at least take a demo ride on one of their cruisers. Essentially the same as my Thunderbird, they now offer the LT, Commander and Storm and all have the 1700cc engine rather than the 1600 that I have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You will get all kinds of opinions, I ride a Honda Stateline (similar to the Fury, Interstate. I am 6'2", 240 lbs, it has good acceleration in my opinion. I can climb quite steep hills, with a passenger, and hold my speed without gearing down. It isn't a sport bike, and isn't supposed to be. I also put a Powercommander tuner on it and a Barons Big Air Kit, along with Cobra slip on mufflers, the combination did add some acceleration response but it was fine before too. I added pullback risers to deal with the handlebars because I couldn't reach them well and still lean back into my backrest.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
That is one good looking bike!

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
+2 on the bike.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
You will get all kinds of opinions, I ride a Honda Stateline (similar to the Fury, Interstate. I am 6'2", 240 lbs, it has good acceleration in my opinion. I can climb quite steep hills, with a passenger, and hold my speed without gearing down. It isn't a sport bike, and isn't supposed to be. I also put a Powercommander tuner on it and a Barons Big Air Kit, along with Cobra slip on mufflers, the combination did add some acceleration response but it was fine before too. I added pullback risers to deal with the handlebars because I couldn't reach them well and still lean back into my backrest.

That is a beautiful bike. I have a VTX1800 (not nearly as nice) and it is a joy to ride. I also have a C109rt which is the touring version of the M109. The M109 has a different cam so the C109 has more torque, the M109 is faster.

OP, the M109 is much bigger than the Honda. I was supposed to sell the Honda when I bought the C109 but the rides are so different I decided to keep them both. You really need to ride them both and decide. I will say I did hate the HUGE C109 for the first couple of hundred miles. Then I got used to the weight and the size and I love it. I want to buy a Chieftain but the wife says no to three bikes and I just enjoy the two I have so much. I think by January I will have changed her mind.

Good luck on whatever you chose.

Bikes are unique to each rider. I think you need to try them.

·
Registered
257 Posts
+1 for the Stateline, beautiful. It's purely personal but I dont care for the looks of the fury, so if appearance is your main criteria, then between the fury and 109 I would say get the 109. If between the Stateline and 109, I would say get the stateline. If power and performance was your main criteria, then it's the 109 either way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
m109 if your trying to make a smoother transition from a sport bike, the fury is much different the the Suzuki, I wouldn't go for a fury have you looked at the Yamaha stryker or raider those are somewhere between the 109 and the fury

1 - 12 of 12 Posts