Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 82 Honda FT500 Running after sitting for 7 months, I rode her 4 days and tried to start her today after already riding for a bit. The starter would make sound as she was trying but no noise from the motor. I opened the starter pinion cover to reveal that the teeth on the drive gear was very worn.
So It appears the starter cranks but the teeth won't catch and won't crank the engine. I can't find the part anywhere but eBay and there selling for $375 for another worn item.
There is no kick start on this bike unfortunately.
My options seem to be find rare part, convert to kick start or sell her.
Any Ideas?
Thanks

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I don't know if there is a "bolt on" option for converting to kick start on that model. It would likely be cheaper to have the worn gear itself fabricated at a machine shop than try to fabricate a kick start mechanism.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ft500 Starter weak

Hello there, I have an FT500 that I have bumped up the compression. I have also cobbled two engines together so I now have an electric start with a decompressor. I feather the decompressor when using the Electric start
Problem. When the decompressor is almost shut and the compression builds up the electric start no longer turns the engine over, instead a wirling noise can be heard. The bike used to do this before I raised compression/ so its not linked to the engine mods - just not helped by them.
Solution. Can anybody help with this, advice on mechanical and/or electrical solutions would be great. Really appreciate your help from over the pond. These bikes never took off over hear much and as a result folk just dont have any experience of them.
Many thanks.
John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts