Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 1983 Honda vf750c and the fork oil is getting on the brakes - so before I get into replacing the seals I want to change out the oil since it has been sitting for so long. I think the old oil has lost it's viscosity which would be causing the leak, the same thing that was going on with the rear end of the shaft drive. so what is some good fork oil for the Honda? I probably want to go with some thicker fork oil right?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
scratch that, the manual says to use atf. I had a bit shy of a quart left over from topping off the ford so I used the rest for the forks.
here is what the old stuff looked like(i'm not sure I've ever seen green oil before). we will see if it leaks.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
I had a '79 Honda 750. I pulled the ATF out of it, and it was a dark, Hunter Green color... No idea how long it had been in there, but the bike had 10,000 miles on the clock, and I was changing it the year after I bought it: 2007! I put ATF in it after I cleaned it out with some SeaFoam engine oil treatment: dissolves varnish, and gunk very quickly, just add 2 oz., compress the fork tubes 5x to percolate it through the system, then drain, and fill with fresh ATF.

By the way, ATF is around 7.5 viscosity, for fork oil, which is why Honda used it. It maintains its viscosity over the entire operating temperature range -- just like Fork Oils do, only ATF costs roughly one-half of what they charge for Fork Oil. ATF is also highly detergent, in nature. With routine changes, the SeaFoam treatment should only be necessary once, or you could just change the ATF after a week of riding, as it, too, will scrub out the innards of your fork tubes.

Fork oil is probably the most overlooked maintenance item on most bikes... I change mine every two years, and I use ATF in all my bikes. After two years, it has lost its cherry-red coloring, looking much darker... It's fast, and easy to change out, and it does make for a better, safer ride. YMMV. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
Motorbike Macgyver
353 Posts
I use royal purple 5w30 in my Suzuki K10 forks. Coming to think of it now, the oil that came out of them when I bought them (eBay purchase, supposedly NOS, had been sitting in a storage shed for years) was green, almost the color of old antifreeze. I change the oil once a year, just cause I like to stay on top of it, and well, it ain't too hard to do, just unbolt the fork legs and pull them out of the clamps, fill with oil and put back. I run 150ml in each leg.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm waiting on some front brake pads otherwise I would know if it still leaks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Honda Shadow 2003 600

I had a leak on one fork, slow leak, and tied a rag below the seal around the fork which absorbed the oil in the mean time while waiting for parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts