Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm having some difficulty getting the brake light on my 1983 Honda CX650 to work correctly. I took my bike to a service station today to get it inspected, however it failed the inspect due to the brake light not activating when the hand brake is applied. The light works when the foot brake is applied, but not with the hand brake. After trying to figure it out for the last hour or so, I figured my best bet would be to ask here and try to find an answer. :71baldboy:

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
You know the brake light itself is operating, so half of the potential problems are already solved. It's either the brake switch on the lever or the wiring going to the switch.

You can try cleaning the switch with electrical contact cleaner as the first step. My experience is that these usually get gummed up enough to require replacement if the fault lies with the switch, however. The switches are usually cheap enough.

You should test the switch with an ohm meter to see if that's where the problem is at before buying a new one.

If the switch opens and closes as designed, the fault will likely being somewhere in the wiring between the switch and brake light or from the fuse box to the switch. Make sure you are getting power to the switch first, then test the wiring back to the light, checking for continuity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much! The problem was the connection to the switch! I'll be going first thing tomorrow to get my inspection sticker. Thanks again! :biggrin:

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
+1 One ATTABOY for Dodsfall.

A MC problem diagnosed/solved in the first swipe at it on the Inner Tubes!

(As usual, a single "Ohchit!" erases all previously received ATTABOYz.)

Was this a liberal or conservative-leaning repair? (Gotta get politics in every post, SOMEHOW!)

I'd say since the brake lever is mounted on the RIGHT.... ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts