Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just came across what looks to be a great local deal. A Honda CX500 with 60,000 Kilometers on it. The owner is selling the bike for 250$ and the only thing that is wrong with it is it has Minor electrical problems. It Does not have spark. That seems to be the only problem with it, I`m going to email the owner later to find any additional info on the motorcycle. What are everyone`s thoughts on this, I don`t have a big idea of what i could be spending on replacing part of the ignition system, but it can`t be too much. -Jason

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I don`t have a big idea of what i could be spending on replacing part of the ignition system, but it can`t be too much.
-Famous last words. :D

Well, for $250 you can't really go too wrong. If you are good at tracking down electrical problems and can do the work yourself, you shouldn't have to spend a fortune.

Without the motorcycle running, it's hard to tell if there are bigger engine problems or transmission issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know electrical systems, but my dad is a Electrical engineer, between us two we will defiantly diagnose the problem then fix it. That was my other concern, you can't start it so god knows what problems it could have engine wise.

·
Registered
62 Posts
CX500 W/out Spark

Run;
the CX500's were one of a few Hondas that used a 3phase ignition system.Nice while they worked.But they often failed,and that is were the problems started.when these bikes were still being produced and they would come into the shop with no spark it always ended up being a game.Is it the spark unit or the alternator assy(yes alt assy).You see,the problems that would happen in the alternator would be the pulser or the exciter(both part of the alt) and not available separately.The tests in the shop manual were just about useless(very unreliable).The only real test was to plug in a spark unit from one that ran to see if that was the problem.We always prayed it was the spark unit because it was only a couple hundred bucks and did not need the engine to be removed and diss.But many times it was the alt(that was $395.00) and you had to remove the engine.I kept a good spark unit in my tool box for test purposes.The hawk series has the same type of ignition and also was costly to repair.I firmly believe that is why you don't see a lot of these bikes around today.The CX500's also had cam chain issues but that was repairable if caught early enough.The best CX is the 1983CX650.IT was a good bike.Hope you haven't bought it yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts