Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, First post here.

I found these two bikes from a guy who wants $300 for them both.
I want to fix them up but I dont know if this is a good Idea as it would be my first time restoring a motorcycle .

Im pretty handy with tools and I think I could do it but I want to get some professional advice before I buy the bikes.

Please let me know your advice,
Thanks,
Randy

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I guess it depends a lot on their condition, but the price sounds right, especially if you're getting two complete bikes. The CX500 does have a small cult following, so there is a lot of information available to help you along. If it's something you want to do, sounds pretty reasonable.

Good luck with it!

Cool engines in those things!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
The way I look at old bikes is I want the engines to be not frozen up. At least 1 of the 2 needs a title, providing they have interchangeable parts.

If the bikes are not repairable, you need to figure whether or not you can part them out at a profit. Take a battery with you to the purchase point. It can be a car battery and use jumper cables that wire where the bike battery normally goes. If the engine turns over----Score!

This is a personal opinion,but I would rather work on old Hondas than newer ones. Two pistons are much easier than four. I would love to get a CX as they are so cool. I personally bought four bikes for a total of 550, and it can get like a disease. The plan is to first get that motor running as cheap as you can and have the disipline to not tear it down all at once.

You can always fix up cosmetically AFTER you know what is good and bad on a bike.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
That's a great point actually. When I buy an old bike I always ask myself if the worst happens, whether I could part the bike out and get my money out of it or even make a small profit. If not, the price is too high.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts