Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to by my first bike and have decided on a dual sport as I will be riding a lot of trails. I am stuck between the two bikes mentioned above. I am 5’10” and about 160lbs. I am 17. I have been riding four wheelers my whole life and have some experience on older dirt bikes without a clutch, but this will be my first bike. I can only get one bike for a while so what I pick is what I get. So the question for me is, will I eventually get tired of the CRF250L? And will it be a good bike for 80% dirt 20% street riding? All the reviews I find on it people say it’s a great beginner bike but 90% of them either have another bike too or end up buying a bigger one down he road. I don’t have that luxury. I have found good used deals on both bikes and want I go with the TE511 for meany reasons. Holds its value, much better bike and more adjustable, and I won’t get bored with it after the first 4 months. But my only concern is that this bike will be too much for me to handle and thus be no fun. What would you guys suggest? Is it doable to learn on the bigger bike? I found a deal that I don’t want to pass up and want a bike that will last me forever. I have good throttle control and know my limits, like I said I have been riding other recreational vehicles my whole life. But I know the Husky is no joke so do you guys think it’s wiser to go with the smaller bike and just be content with the minimal power?

· Gone
24,005 Posts
Either motorcycle would be fine to learn on for most riders. There is not a huge difference in power or weight between the two.

Motorcyclists almost always change bikes every so often as their needs change. What may seem like the idea of a motorcycle you will ride forever is likely to change in a few years if you stick with riding.

· Registered
5,675 Posts
I agree with Dodsfall, either bike is a reasonable starter. Neither has the danger signs that a 600 sport bike does. My first thought, though, is that Huskies are historically tall bikes. If you can stand flat footed on one but not the other, that would be part of the decision for me.

· SUPER MODERATOR
10,555 Posts
Huskies are also not reliable, very expensive to maintain and there are very few dealers in most areas. They are 'high tech,' with advanced components but beware! The power isn't for relatively new riders either.:surprise:

I really like the Honda CRF 250, especially the new 'Adventure model.' It may have 'soft' power compared to the Huskie but the bike will be reliable and fun, especially in the dirt:wink2:

My saying, after MANY years of Semi-pro off road racing in all kinds of competition is this: "You can only go SO fast over certain terrain!" So, power and speed may be a handicap in some instances.:smile:

I used to race in the open class in Southern California District 37 desert competition as in 'Hare and Hound,' 'European scrambles,' etc and I did very well on my 250 Bultaco Pursang and my 250 CZ:grin:

A small guy on a 100cc HODAKA was often seen lapping the bigger Triumph's and BSA's and every other kind of bike because of JACK MORGANS skill:grin:

I bought my Wife a new one in 1975 and she loved the little thing:wink2:

Sam:nerd:

· Registered
5,675 Posts
Huskies are also not reliable, very expensive to maintain and there are very few dealers in most areas. They are 'high tech,' with advanced components but beware! The power isn't for relatively new riders either.:surprise:

I really like the Honda CRF 250, especially the new 'Adventure model.' It may have 'soft' power compared to the Huskie but the bike will be reliable and fun, especially in the dirt:wink2:

My saying, after MANY years of Semi-pro off road racing in all kinds of competition is this: "You can only go SO fast over certain terrain!" So, power and speed may be a handicap in some instances.:smile:

I used to race in the open class in Southern California District 37 desert competition as in 'Hare and Hound,' 'European scrambles,' etc and I did very well on my 250 Bultaco Pursang and my 250 CZ:grin:

A small guy on a 100cc HODAKA was often seen lapping the bigger Triumph's and BSA's and every other kind of bike because of JACK MORGANS skill:grin:

I bought my Wife a new one in 1975 and she loved the little thing:wink2:

Sam:nerd:
You are the first person I have ever heard that said Huskies are not reliable. I have never owned one, but I have always heard good things about them. The rest is true though; they don't have a huge following and when they break down, it costs an arm and a leg to fix them. In my mind I have always seen them as the Mercedes of the dirt bike world, where a Honda is the...Honda of the dirt bike world (See what I did there?) ;)

It's very cool that you got to participate in those old races Sam!!! How long did you go in them? My wife's cousin did a boatload of them back in the day, but I think he is a bit younger than you and did most of his in the 80's. He has photos that make me jealous

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.